Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Has anyone else noticed a massive forum downtime the last few days?  (Read 4329 times)

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Re: Has anyone else noticed a massive forum downtime the last few days?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 07:05:17 am »

Yep, it was down for me about 24 minutes ago  (6:41 AM CST).
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 07:12:34 am »

Hm.... I thought that it's finally fixed, since yesterday I haven't seen any problems at all.  :-\

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 11:05:46 pm »

Happened again for about a minute just a minute ago

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 11:24:00 pm »

I don't know what you guys are talking about, (I honestly don't), but the forums were down the first time this was mentioned, up untill now I've had no problems.

By the way what's happened to some of the community/stories in said section? I want to finish reading about captin ironblood.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 11:39:16 pm »

I don't know what you guys are talking about, (I honestly don't), but the forums were down the first time this was mentioned, up untill now I've had no problems.

By the way what's happened to some of the community/stories in said section? I want to finish reading about captin ironblood.

Maybe he got rusty. ZING!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 04:07:16 pm »

Happened again at 11:45am to 1:45pm EST

Should I keep reporting this everytime I notice it happening or is it purely redundant?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 04:43:44 pm »

Happened again at 11:45am to 1:45pm EST

Should I keep reporting this everytime I notice it happening or is it purely redundant?

Hm, I was trying to visit the forum today many times, but it was down all the time. [I would say it was a ~4 hours period -> 15.00 - 19.00 CET]
The funny thing is, that the old forum was working meanwhile! Damn these SMF database errors, I hope that the support lads will fix it.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 06:09:58 pm »

Funny thing I forgot to mention, the forum went down for me after I made this post.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 07:28:37 pm »

My hosting company is blaming this one on me and is threatening to take the site down.  I'm not sure if that's valid or not, since they just moved me to another server.  I've taken down the voting script, since that's the only other recent change I can think of.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 07:38:39 pm »

I'd say,take a little time to find another host so you have a backup if these guys pull the plug on you.

You might have to do it eventually.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 06:18:35 am »

They haven't gotten back to me yet, but there was another SMF outage for a few hours after I took the voting script down, so I'm assuming they'll still be blaming me for that.  I don't see how it could be anything but the server move, unless I'm suddenly being attacked by sql querying bots or something.  I backed up all the tables in the sql database, so we'll have a snapshot of the forum in case they do something unfortunate and proactive.  I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.  I imagine I'll hear back from them tomorrow.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 08:51:43 am »

I've been getting the "server connection error" stuff way too often the last 24 hours, it happens for almost every page I want to visit.  Hitting "refresh" ~5 times usually gets me to the page I want, but it's very annoying.  I hope this gets fixed.  :-\
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 08:54:24 am »

My hosting company is blaming this one on me and is threatening to take the site down.  I'm not sure if that's valid or not, since they just moved me to another server.  I've taken down the voting script, since that's the only other recent change I can think of.

Eh??? They are blaming this on you?? This makes no sense at all.  :o
Yeah I guess that you should look for a new host maybe.

Note: It's possible that this database error is related to the low number of IO tokens? [io_tokens value ideally should be close to max]
More info about it: http://www.linode.com/wiki/index.php/IO_Tokens

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 08:56:11 am »

Yeah, various Error 500's and SMF connection errors most of the time today. It seems to be more or less working now, but I won't bet on it holding for long, not with the way it was the past few days...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 10:25:15 pm »

Yeah, they've continued to blame me for the problem, and said that I might be experiencing more traffic, despite my stats being pretty much level for months.  I don't know much about this stuff, but my current suspicion is that when they moved me from one server to another, they crammed too many of us on there, or something like that, and now there aren't enough resources available.  I really don't have any idea though.  The downside is that I don't really have a way to solve this problem, and they continue to threaten to remove my site.

So, web hosting companies?  It's difficult to find information on google as there's a lot of chaff there.  I think we've had this discussion before.  It's hard for me to judge.  If I move my site to another shared hosting setup, who's to say it'll have enough resources?  I don't have a way to quantify the number of sql connections I'm making, and as far as I can tell, having the site hosted in a non-shared setup is way too expensive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4