Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Galactic Conquest  (Read 6750 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Conquest
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 12:48:19 pm »

Can somebody reccomend me a game with a large but still meaningful techtree(ie: no lasers v1(100 dps) lasers v2(200 dps) lasers v3(300 dps) .... lasers v48(4800 dps) and that kind of stuff)? Doesn't matter if it's space or not.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2008, 01:46:41 pm »

I could never get into the X games. Probably because they never really improved the terrible interfaces, dull and clunky combat, and simple political system, and essentially released the same exact game over and over.
Ditto. With a more efficient interface and a bit of optimisation I might have enjoyed those games. And faster ships, because damn does it take forever to get anywhere. When it takes about five minutes to get from station to station on 10x time compression it kind of deters you from trading.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 01:56:39 pm »

Can somebody reccomend me a game with a large but still meaningful techtree(ie: no lasers v1(100 dps) lasers v2(200 dps) lasers v3(300 dps) .... lasers v48(4800 dps) and that kind of stuff)? Doesn't matter if it's space or not.
That depends...  How do you define "meaningful"? What improved weapon variant can you suggest except improved damage/range/firerate? I'll take an example from Remember Tomorrow (which also has the best research system for a 4X game) - Weapons are in 3 classes, Bolt, Beam, and Missile. Weapons usually increase progressively in range, and damage, but there are quirks. For example, the exact progression largely depends on the research percentages you set. Also, for example the bolt weapons progress from a simple "bolt gun", to a "heavy bolt gun", to a "burst bolt gun", and further, but there are major differences. You can only fit one normal bolter or one heavy bolter in a MkI 3x3 turret, or two normal bolters/one heavy/one burst in a 4x4 MkII turret. Two bolters deal more damage than one heavy, and the damage of the burster is very low, but it shoots in long bursts which works better against fighters. Also heavy bolters have more range than normal or burst bolters and so work better against capital ships. There are quirks like that with all other equipment in the game, that you have to set into the grid in the outline of the ship, like tetris blocks.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 07:32:16 pm »

I wish people would stop being assholes to each other so we could develop feasible means of interstellar travel... :(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Trifid.nebula.jet.arp.750pix.jpg
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 07:44:35 pm »

Space Empires IV was great, in my opinion, but Space Empires V is awful. The research pretty much ruins the game; every technology has 100 levels which take at least one turn to research each, and increase the effectiveness of a component by something like 0.1% each time. I guess it's meant to simulate gradual improvement over time but I just didn't feel like my research projects were going anywhere at any time...

See, I have the opposite opinion.  I've been playing Space Empires since I found SE3 on a shareware disc at a family member's house.  I like it as a series more than probably any other series, even Civilization (!!).

In SE4 they really changed up the research model in a way I didn't like.  Five took it back to the original model which I think is much better as it gives the player more control.  I guess I like micromanagement when it makes sense.

For those who don't know/haven't played the games, in Space Empires you build research centers amongst all your planets, each center generating so many research points.   Now, in Space Empires 2, 3, and 5 when you enter the research screen you are given the choice of spreading your total research capacity amongst all the available topics (and there's a lot of topics).  This means you can research several things at the same time, putting a few points into a tech you'll want in the future and many points towards the techs you want sooner. Or all points into one tech if you need it as fast as you can get it.

In 4, however, the research method was changed.  Now you just put your techs in a queue and it puts all the possible points into the first tech on the list.  If the tech can be finished the next turn the extra points spill over into the next tech.

Hmm, well in GalCiv 2 there's three types of weapons and consequently three weapon defense types.  While amongst each type it does suffer from the treadmill dps thing, it also influences how you build your ships.  Since one civ's ships could use lasers and another uses missiles you can't pump all your research into one defense because you'd be left pretty open to destruction.

The non-weapon tech's also have a bit o' that problem, but you have to choose where to focus your development early on, I guess (do you rush trade or focus on research, etc).

In Space Empires V there's a hell of a lot of techs, but those techs are also "leveled" so quantum laser VI vs. quantum laser V is just a dmg boost.  But you've got a lot to choose from (beams, lasers, missiles, gravity weapons, black hole guns, warp guns, component damaging weapons, shield depletion, even a wave motion gun!). In the non-weapon side there's a huge field to work with, even unique tech branches that you can choose as a racial trait (temporal tech, religious tech, organic tech, etc).

I'm not sure if any game has a truly unique tech tree in which there is no "lvl 2 is stronger than lvl 1", because how else do you represent better techs.  After all, even in real life the only tactical difference between an atomic bomb and a hydrogen bomb is the size of the explosion (dps if you'd like).

And as a final note for anyone looking into getting SE5: there's a Steam version available which I guess makes multiplayer mode better as you can use Steam for mutiplayer & play against non-Steam people.

Here is the Steam page for it.  It's only $15 there, or you can get both IV and V for $25!

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2008, 06:15:54 am »

In 4, however, the research method was changed.  Now you just put your techs in a queue and it puts all the possible points into the first tech on the list.  If the tech can be finished the next turn the extra points spill over into the next tech.
You could do that in SE4, couldn't you? I seem to remember being able to distribute points equally between all research projects in the queue, which meant that you could research several techs at the same time.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2008, 06:23:27 am »

yes, but the point is that it is ALWAYS more effective to finish one project first

MMO1 had a brilliant solution for this
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2008, 06:58:34 am »

Remember Tomorrow has an even more brilliant one (or maybe the same, I didn't really play MMO1). You just assign a percentage of your scientists to general fields of study, or applied technologies, and it all works out as you gain insights into the fields required for certain items to become available for production. So that if you want to get graviton cannons, you'll have to study physics and math until you discover the applied antigravity field, and then you study it, but you also have to research some other applied phlebotinum like cold fusion and force fields. I'd really like to see another game that uses a similar system. And a similar ship constructor, hehe. :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Ogren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 03:35:03 pm »

I made an attempt to try out Remember Tomorrow. But after I found the download link on that russian site I found that (big surprise) the game was also in russian. I was hoping that the patch somehow translated the game, but it did not (apart from some sort of scenario generator that was included in the patch, that was in english).

Sean, you mention something about a translation. You know where I can find it? Or anyone else?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2008, 04:05:06 pm »

I made the translation actually. There's only so much that can be translated in it. I cannot translate graphic buttons. The game also has no way to translate the diplomatic options, but those are more or less irrelevant most of the time. Ingame messages, descriptions, technology names, everything I could get at, I translated.

I really hope someone remakes that game. It's a shame such a good concept is forgotten like that. SotS comes close, but both its ship designer and research system are somewhat bland.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 04:54:27 pm »

SEV sounds like what I'm after actually.

Although, unless someone can find that mod that makes ship component placement count for something, I'm not going to bother.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 08:57:41 am »

SEV sounds like what I'm after actually.

Although, unless someone can find that mod that makes ship component placement count for something, I'm not going to bother.

Here is a big list of mods for SEV.

I recommend Fyron's Quadrant Mod 5 which adds a hell of a lot to the game.  You'll need to graqb the multimedia pack from the download page.  It's huge but includes a lot of stuff.  Grab the torrent for it all in one pack or get it separate and put it in place manually.

Also of note is Captain Kwok's Balance Mod which beefs up the AI and fixes a bunch of minor balance issues and bugs.  There's some other good mods out there.

I'm not sure what the component placement mod is, as I've never used it. All I could find was this topic on a forum. 

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 05:27:53 pm »

is there a link available to a download of "remember tomorrow"?
(preferably that translation by Sean M)

also can't find anything but some reviews on "Emperor of the fading suns", no dl links or official sites. (only an e-bay-thing advert)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 06:13:52 pm »

also can't find anything but some reviews on "Emperor of the fading suns", no dl links or official sites. (only an e-bay-thing advert)
You can find it here, though the site requires that you register first.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 11:02:13 am »

registration is a small price to pay for trying out a game.

edit
ah it is abandonware.
no DL link or register there only a review...where do you sign up or Download?
edit2
ah dumb. I found the register place. and now found the DL button as well.
edit3:
 oh ew. they want you to sign away any privacy you got and submit to:
Once you agree to participate in this program, we may notify you of survey opportunities through e-mail, pop-ups, toast windows, U.S. mail, and other means. If you elect to participate in a survey, we require that you provide complete and accurate information about yourself and your household.
I'd rather pay 15USD as a donation.

signed up though. first truthfully as dutch, then as american and the requested answer did not compute.
poop
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:47:41 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4