Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: The General Reborn {Community Fort}  (Read 10533 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Re: The General Reborn {Community Fort}
« Reply #120 on: November 13, 2008, 12:42:38 am »

By popular demand, 2 of 10 posts is dedicated to dieties.

Consequently some of their names are shockingly fitting.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:44:15 am by dresdor »

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 13, 2008, 01:02:52 am »

There was a knock at the door.  She sighed heavily, and muttered a barely audible word.  The knock came again, and she repeated it louder "Come in."

Her trusty friend, Zak, came through the door.  "General, I came by to..." he stopped short.  He looked at her and said "General, you look terrible."

"You are so kind, Zak," she said.  She had dark bags under her eyes and her hair was unkempt, a far cry from the meticulous bun she kept it in underneath her cap or helm.  "I suppose you'd look just as good after a handful of goblins killed two of your best soldiers."

"No, I suppose not." Zak said.  "Have they found Thuellai's body yet?"

"No, but I don't expect them to.  Probably mangled up in that infernal water ladder that Shoruke built."  She looked at Zak but her eyes couldn't focus.  "I can't keep loosing good men and women, Zak.  I can't handle it."

"General," Zak said, taking her hand and kneeling by her.  "You've been in tougher situations before.  We are at war.  Thanks to you, those goblins faced a trained military force and were slaughtered, instead of being able to kill dozens of civilians.  Larks and Thuellai died heroes."

"Heroism is worthless to the dead." She said bluntly.  "They won't even know if we toast them every night or forget about them tomorrow, they are dead.  The dead know nothing of our continuing torment."

Zak thought a moment, and had an epiphany.  "General, I came to tell you that there is need for you on the crypt level.  There is some confusion as to how you want the new tombs designed."

"Handle it, Zak.  Just leave me be."

"General, it would do the garrison good to see you out and about, but first, we should clean you up a bit..."

Ten minutes later, slightly refreshed and with her hair brushed and flowing behind her, the General walked up the stairs to the crypt level.  She didn't notice the newer dwarves avoiding her gaze, nor the veterans looks of concern.  She walked down the corridor and stopped after passing Neo's tomb.

"This can't be a new tomb, Zak.  What is this?"

"Ah, General...that is something I wanted to give to you on your birthday next week, but since you needed some cheering up..."  He opened the door for you and shower her in.  On the walls were engravings of her battles and the history of the fortress, as well as the civilization for the last thousand years.  In the center was a stone coffin of masterwork design with the declaration she had carved in her room engraved behind it behind a green glass window..  on either side of the cofin were twin pillars of green glass.  The General looked at the layout, and said to Zak harshly: "What is this supposed to be?"

"A tomb, General."

"I know that, Zak, I mean what is the design."  She dreaded to hear his answer.  It would mean that she could not trust anyone at this fortress, even a mute engraver.

"General, it is a dragon skull with green eyes."

"And what significance is that to me?"

Zak sighed.  "General, I saw the drawing that was hidden in your bed when I was engraving your room.  I also have read parts of your logbook.  I know who you are, and I want you to know..."

"Tear this abomination down." She said.  "And I never want to hear another word from your mouth.  Do your speaking around someone else, soldier.  If you are smart, you will stay out of my sight."  She turned on her heel and stormed off.  Zak stood, dumbfounded.

The General slammed her body down on her bed, and did something she hadn't done in well over a thousand years.  Tears flowed down her cheeks and she sobbed.  She cried, for Malaki, for Neo, for Thuellai and Larks...for herself...for Zak...for everything.  She just cried for the first time in a century.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2008, 01:13:51 am »

4 of 10

Meanwhile at the dark goblin fortress...

Theullai opened his eyes.  Brightness overwhelmed him, and he heard a laugh from beside the table he was strapped into.

"Welcome welcome welcome, dwarf." The goblin said to him.  "My name is Ngom, and you and I are going to become friends."

"I'll kill you goblin!" he snarled at Ngom, and struggled against his restraints.

"Temper, temper, dwarf." Ngom said.  "Now here is the deal, I ask questions, you answer them.  You don't answer them and bad things happen."

"I won't help you, goblins."

"I thought that might come up, you see, you were quite tenacious in your attempts to kill me.  I can, however, be persuasive."  He grabbed the shaft of the bolt sticking out of Theullai's shoudler and moved it just a little.  Jolts of pain made Thuellai gasp and groan.  "So, now, dwarf.  What is your name?"

Thuellai didn't answer.  The goblin pushed the bolt deeper into his flesh before twisting it around.  "THUELLAI!" he screamed.  The goblin stopped immediatly,

"See, that's not so bad to cooperate." He said.  "Now, what is the purpose of your little fortress?"

"I don't know," he said.  "I was sent there as part of a refugee convoy from the mountain homes."

"Now you don't honestly expect me to believe that, do you?"  He grabbed the bolt and ripped it free, causing Theullai to bleed significantly, and nearly pass out from pain.  "What is the purpose of the fortress?"

"I don't know!" He said, watching his blood pour out of him.  "All I know is we all had to undergo military training, that's it!  I swear to you..."  The world started to get hazy.

"You've been helpful, dwarf," The goblin said, and he packed and tied some cloth bandages into the bolt wound.  "If you're good you'll even life for a while, provided you answer my questions."

The world spun and Thuellai blacked out.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 13, 2008, 01:17:03 am »

I planned on actually doing a total of ten posts, but that's just too much for me tonight, I'm going to bed.

But there will be more and soon.

What will happen to Thuellai?

When will we actually meet these new dwarves?

Will Maggarg get strangled by his wife?

These and other questions will be avoided next time on The General
REBORN!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2008, 11:05:20 am »

I want a steel neck-brace.
Preferably menacing with spikes.
Ain't no-one gonna strangle Maggarg.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2008, 09:37:10 pm »

I just read the entire thread, and WOW!

I never knew my character had that much effect on the fort! Keep it up!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2008, 10:41:22 pm »

She just cried for the first time in a century.

...millennium.

AND HOW DARE HE INSULT THE FUNCTIONALITY OF MY WATER TOWER! My engineering is awesome.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:59:33 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 14, 2008, 12:21:04 am »

Indeed.

And why is that my characters only appearing Community Games in little bits? I suppose you would let me know if they had their head chopped off.

I really am starting to wonder, if I really just have to ask to know what my characters doing. Knowing my luck, that might not do much. Not that I'm complaining...no seriously, I'm not. I find it funny is all.

In fact, I'm wondering if getting William killed in a very heroic (Bloody, in DF terms) fashion is worth the ticket to getting a REAL part in a post. But then I think, damn, if thats the only way, then it sucks my characters just wont freakin' die.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 14, 2008, 12:32:40 am »

Some clarifications...

I'm not playing favorites with Zak's character, he just happens to be the General's lover in-game so I find it appropriate to roleplay the tensions that exist in a relationship with a woman who died a millenium ago.

I will make an effort to have the others appear.  I wanted to kinda have some background and show the General's fragile mental state before we start seeing different views of the fort.  With a good handful of dwarves it's hard to include everyone in every post, but I'll make an effort to follow around more than just shoruke, the general, and zak.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2008, 12:56:37 am »

You don't have to make an effort out of anything. I babble on about things that sound like complaints, and end up making people feel bad. Just like a Christmas party with a little to much Egg nog about it.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2008, 12:57:49 am »

I'm fine with waiting. Remember, if you character only appears to die, then expect them to come back in the sequel (to the sequel?).

Still waiting with bated breath.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2008, 01:02:18 am »

Hmm. I wonder. How many goblins does it take to take down a Strife...*Evil Grin* Screw the goblins. *Pulls out a Warhammer* For the Waaagh...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2008, 01:17:37 am »

How many goblins to take down a bitter conflict? That's what Strife is, you know. Remember comrade, zombie effect? You attack me, and become an enemy. Someone attacks you, they become an enemy. Soon, we are all stuck in Warholla. Except me, and you. Strife ends up in Fiddler's Green. You, having betrayed your fortress, end up where exactly? Goblin Warholla? Have fun.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2008, 03:01:22 am »

I would have swore I would be drinking it away with Gork and Mork. You know what they say Strife, or should I say Kaufman?- One smashes you when you ain't lookin'. The other smashes you when you are!

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2008, 09:34:46 pm »

Second page?! Damn well not on my watch!

BUMP FOR JUSTICE!
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10