Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: The General Reborn {Community Fort}  (Read 10539 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Re: The General Reborn {Community Fort}
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2008, 03:23:39 pm »

In game terms, you killed a couple then got pinned to the ground with arrows.

And nobody recovered you for a few months, and you died.

My way is more interesting.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2008, 03:32:11 pm »

Agreed.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2008, 06:44:11 pm »

Damn, I had hoped for Larks to play a much bigger, crazier role...Well, as a friend of mine says, "Dwarves must die so Dwarfity can live!"

Anyway, I think I'll claim another dwarf, if that is okay.
Male dwarf called Sparrow, Bowyer/Weaponsmith, is usually a slight bit disconnected with the surronding world and with a...weird...train of thought.

Awesome story so far, by the way.

EDIT: An idea just struck me. Build an infirmary. Its quite simple, really. Some beds, a stockpile of empty bucket nearby, maybe even a little larder and some "doctors" and "nurses" in the form of dwarves with only Health Care active. The beds would have to be unclaimed since unclaimed beds are better suited for hospital works (They make the dwarf heal faster, for some reason)...Unless, of course, you can't spare any dwarves solely for the doctoring work or if you already have something like this...yeah, thats just my two cents.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:13:06 pm by Mad Larks »
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2008, 07:43:01 pm »

That was very well done. *Tips hat* You hath won my interest good sir.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2008, 09:09:07 pm »

I guess I'll take another dwarf - "Argentum".  Any profession, but if possible find a dwarf that likes silver.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2008, 11:31:54 pm »

Just so you all know, even with about ten deaths we have over sixty dwarves.  Additionally we have five children, three of whom were born in the fortress (and one of whom is a legendary stonecrafter). 

We have a large amount of female dwarves available for claiming as well.  Males are a little harder to come by. I'll count and let you all know.  Once I get a minute to upload them, I'll post screenshots of the new characters.

And to everyone who has lost a dwarf, I really try to keep named dwarves alive.  Short of save-scumming every time an ambush pops, there's nothing I can do to prevent it.  I figure a good story has some tragedy and most of the named dwarves are strong enough to have deaths that warrant a good story.

I did not embelish Neo's death at all, for instance, and Mad Larks more or less died the same way (except that he bled to death from wounds rather than having arrows pulled out).  Thuellai was doctored up because dorfs, even with only healthcare enabled, ignored him for months.  I tried everything, but the arrows that were stuck in him apparently prevented dwarves from helping him (or even removing the arrows >_<)

Updates, as always, are coming soon.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2008, 11:43:52 pm »

was Thuellai conscious when he needed doctoring? A conscious dwarf will sometimes attempt to go find a bed to rest and heal on their own, refusing help from others despite needing it desperately. At least that's how I think that works.

And...
we have five children, three of whom were born in the fortress (and one of whom is a legendary stonecrafter). 

How precisely do you have a child that's a legendary stonecrafter? Did it get a fey mood?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2008, 12:01:31 am »

Yes, Shoruke, a fey mood.

And Thuellai was concious but unable to move.  I prefer to think of it as he was hidden in the bushed and nobody found him before he died.  Or he was kidnapped by goblins.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2008, 03:35:36 pm »

Good news and bad news

Good news is I got a bunch of immigrants so anyone wanting another dwarf I ahve more than enough males and females of every conceivable profession who will be enterring basic training soon,

I also have a dwarf who killed about a dozen goblins by himself after having four ambushes drop on his head.  He alone was enough to end the attack.

Bad news is we now have a female noble: Dungeon Master.  If anyone claims her speak now or hold your peace cause she'll be named in upcoming updates, and I don't feel like changing it. 

Additionally we are now above the pop cap for sieges.  Go us.  Let the greenskins and their pointy eared brethren come.

Fun info: The last goblin ambushes had one marksdwarf with them.  Those snatchers have been busy.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2008, 08:03:03 pm »

Can I have him?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2008, 09:37:07 pm »

Sure strife, you can have her.  What name/personality do you want her to have. 

Ririka

• Bay Watcher
  • 1 out of 8000
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2008, 09:41:30 pm »

Aww...I wanted the Dungeon Master..
Oh well, could you name a female speardwarf Rika?
I hope she likes boots. I like boots.
Call me Rika.
'I often don't know where my Luggage is, that's what being a tourist is all about,'said Twoflower.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2008, 03:39:08 pm »

I was actually talking about the dwarf that killed the dozen goblins. Curse my brevity when posting from a phone. Errr, do whatever you think is best Dresdor.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2008, 11:08:39 am »

Strife you now own the mass goblin murdering dwarf and ririka you have our deranged dungeon mistress.

That said, we have also survived our first siege, and survived a failed test of some other watery contraption that got jammed by a nameless dwarf's body.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2008, 11:17:30 am »

Regarding the spoiler:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]