Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: The General Reborn {Community Fort}  (Read 10536 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Re: The General Reborn {Community Fort}
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 04:40:24 pm »

I have been playing and am waiting to update until I see how the massive project I have underway is going.

For the curious, let's just say the Salt Mine's Dresdor's Folley has nothing on this massive water project.  The first phase involves 9 screw pumps on different levels and it took me about an hour to diagram out how everything needed to work.  I just hope that one part of it is done before the caravan comes, otherwise I'll have to build and outside trade depot.

Consequently, we now have nearly sixty souls in our war camp, so if anyone wants a dwarf, now is a good time, I have just about any kind available and have some wrestlers and marksdwarves available as well.

Update pending, I have to go to work now.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 09:23:42 pm »

Can I have a male dwarf? Name would be Obelisk. I'd like him to be a speardwarf.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 09:47:19 pm »

60 dwarves strong aye? I suppose we have a professional force, and then everyone else thats able bodied is inducted into a militia, aye? That kind of system would make sieges far less...fatal, for civilians.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 11:09:45 pm »

We still have no anvil so we have a professional force of wrestling champions and a professional force of marksdwarves with significant wrestling investment.

Additionally our "Civilians" are better trained in wrestling than most fortresses guard forces.  Once I get an anvil and can start utilizing some of this copper and iron to make some weapons, we will have even better trained "civilians" and a couple more squads of troops.  At the moment I need more manpower than I need full-time soldiers.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 03:08:23 am »

Yes yes. The point I was trying to make with the term "Civilians" are perhaps part time soldiers with a main task in keeping the fortress running, with a few squads of full time soldiers, dedicated to training and...well I suppose just standing around until some gobbos come.

MercDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • Royal Hammerer, Smasher of Stupid Nobles,
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 04:18:25 am »

Log of Dracnor Entry 1

No Anvil, No Metal, No Work ARGH!
Ah well Berries don't pick themselves and i'll be beaten if I don't work

Entry 2
Still No Anvil, Military's being made of bowdwarves and wrestlers... and don't even get me started on our "guards" Next carvan I see I'm taking a bloom anvil and a pick and i'll Dig the Ore to Smelt and Forge the Best Armok Blessed Armor ever seen.

I wonder If the Miners whould mind me digging with them for abit..don't wanna waste any ore because I couldn't properly mine it out.
The Cake...is...a...LIE!!!
The Worlds Best Trap includes a single left footed -Pig Tail- sock.
Madness? This isn't Madness...This is DWARF FORTRESS.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 12:08:36 pm »

May I request a swordsdwarf/engraver-mason? Preferrably named Shaboopa.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 12:30:06 pm »

When shall we have a -update-?

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2008, 12:32:32 am »

Most likely monday will be the day for an *update* I've been working all weekend, so no dice there, sorry.

But I do have some lovely RP stuff written out for the *update* and future *updates* so it will be a heavy week.  I've played through about a year and a half since the last post, so things will be loverly.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 03:29:14 pm »

Updateupdateupdate. : P

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 05:08:57 pm »

Mind if I grab the potash maker? Call him Mad Larks...and make him a marksdwarf.

He's usually friendly and talkative, but occasionally gets fits of insanity and tends talks with inanimate objects or dead friends in these fits.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2008, 12:46:58 am »

_______
Zak wandered down the main stairwell, looking over the diagrams Shoruke had thrust into his hands excitedly.  The young engineer had practically begged him to bring up the plans with the General, who had thoroughly intimidated most of the new migrants in their first minutes at HeroicStand.  Most had done whatever they could to avoid the General's gaze, and most feared and respected her for good reason.

As he was about to head down to the bedroom level, he heard something coming from the unfinished corridor ahead.  He didn't see anyone, and the only building down there was Malaki's tomb, which Zak hadn't visited since the last engravings were finished in it.  He cautiously approached, and quietly opened the door to the tomb.  Standing over the coffin, speaking in a soft voice was the General.  Zak cleared his throat to announce his presence.

The General turned with a start, hand flying to the warhammer on her belt.  When she saw it was him, she relaxed slightly.  "Yes, Zak, what is it?"

"Nothing important, General, I just heard a noise, and I investigated it."  He said quickly.  "Is everything alright?"

"Why wouldn't it be?" She said.

"You just seem preoccupied, General." Zak said.  "I wanted to make sure that everything is alright.  If anything is wrong you can trust in me to help you sort things out."

"If I need any help I will certainly ask, Zak.  Is there anything else?"

"No, ma'am," Zak turned and started to leave.  As he reached the door, he turned to speak with the General about Shoruke's plans, when she suddenly said.

"I have led countless dwarves into battle and seen many die, Zak."  Her voice was calm, but her body quivered as she leaned over Malaki's tomb.  "But nothing makes this any easier.  Sometimes it would have been better for him to die in a real battle than to be ripped apart by wolves.  At least there his brothers and sisters in blood could fight alongside him and win glory for our mountain home."

"What happened to him is not your fault, General," Zak said, walking over to her.  "He followed your orders, yes, but you had no idea the wolves would be out for blood, nor that Malaki and his dogs would be killed.  He was an experienced warrior, there's no reason he should have died, but he did."

"I can't shake the feeling that there's something I could have done, Zak," she said.  As Zak stood beside her, he could see the glimmer of tears in her eyes and the redness that showed she had been crying.  "Another damned soldier dead because I am incompetant enough to let it keep happening. 

"General, do you know how I came to be part of this expedition?" He asked.  She shook her head.  "A month before I was assigned to you,I was part of a six-dwarf mining operation.  I was the safety officer for the group, it was my responsibility for all of us to dig safely and ensure there were no problems.  One day we were mining part of a new water reservoir when one of our newer miners chipped off a support piece of stone.  Within seconds the entire cavern had collapsed on us.  Two of the team died, One survived with an uncurable amount of head injuries, and the leader of our team lost an arm when a boulder fell on his shoulder.  He will never mine again."

"So you left the mountian homes to escape the guilt of thinking you caused that cave-in?"

"No.  I left because I talked to my team leader.  He said the new miner made the mistake, and I had done everything I could to make things safe.  I still wanted to die, but I volunteered for this position so that I could help prevent such mishaps in the future.  Thankfully we haven't had any."

"What you're saying is I have to do what is best for me and not assume I am guilty just because something bad has happened."  Zak nodded. 

"I am here because this is where I can keep the most dwarves around me alive.  I can provide something here.  Even if it's one life, I've done everything I can to protect it."

The General nodded, and patted Zak on the shoulder.  "Thank you, Zak."  She walked out of the tomb, and down the stairway.

Zak looked down at the stack of papers in his hands, and remembered what he needed to talk to her about.  Running after her, he shouted "General!  General, I needed to talk to you about something!"

Note: I was able to SS Malaki's profile, sorry He died so fast.  If you want another dorf you can have one.  Family members are a good start.

A real update coming tomorrow later today.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2008, 03:02:51 pm »

From the Personal Log of the General:

Through the last few weeks, Zak has helped me get over my feelings of guilt about Malaki.  Yes, he was my responsibility to keep alive, but things do happen.  May he rest forever in Warholla and not be called back as I have been from that paradise.

The fort is readily becoming self sufficient.  Our farms are at full production, and we find more and more resources to exploit from this mountain every day.  Basic combat training will be this years main goal, as our entire force must be skilled at hand to hand combat, and we must have a standing force of marksdwarves.  Though we cannot make our own weapons until the caravan brings us our much awaited anvil, we will still be able to be ready to dive into weapons training without killing each other.  Every dwarf will be trained with shields and whatever armor we can cobble together.  The losses because of training exercises last time were too great, we cannot afford to loose a single dwarf.

OOC: more coming

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 03:21:33 pm »

A few of the dwarves I've spotted as being of particular note. 

First is the engraver, Hakkur.  I'm certain he can speak, but he refuses to make a sound, preferring to communicate by his engravings.  Since they are quite good, I am willing to put up with this strange behavior for now.

Next is Obelisk, a stoneworker who told me upon meeting me that he wanted to be a spearfighter, like his grandfather.  I told him that once we had some weapons, I'd surely assign him to the spear division, and that seemed to make him happy.  He seems very sociable and will be well liked in the military division.

"Mad" Larks is a very interesting dwarf as well.  He seems quite out of his mind when he's not aiming a crossbow, and when he is he seems perfectly sane.  Quite strange.  I have heard rumor that he is a conscript soldier paying back a debt to society, so maybe he's trying to act mad to get out of service.  He seems competant with a crossbow (for someone who's claimed occupation is Potash Maker at least).

Finally is Shaboopa.  She's another different kind of dwarf.  She's...well, let's just call her artistic.  Insane is my word, but artistic is a little more polite.  She is extremely impulsive and set in her own ways.  Hopefully basic training will help cure that. At any rate, with Hakkur, we have a pair of very artistic engravers.

We also finished clearing the stone from Malaki's tomb. I think it is wonderful, though I don't wish to waste more time regretting the decisions I've made here.  We will loose soldiers, that is inevitable, but I hope the crypt level stays mostly empty for a long time.

OOC: Maggarg, I haven't forgotten about you, you do have a dwarf, I'm just waiting for some story elements to come into play.

And I know Malaki is technically female, but s/he died so quickly it doesn't really matter in the end.

Oh, and Maggarg.  I'm in year three and you got married and had a kid.  Sorry, I tried.  At least your wife is a blacksmith instead of a wrestler, so be careful when you cheat on her this time.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 03:23:46 pm by dresdor »

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 09:01:59 pm »

How is William procedeing with his Military Induction? He has been training in something, I assume?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10