Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The "hiring" process  (Read 1751 times)

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The "hiring" process
« on: May 09, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

I'm just wondering what qualities people look for in their prospective liberals.

I typically go for those with a skill of 2 in something useful and a low wisdom as a start. Man, I hate it when someone turns on you. A gang member with an AK being converted is rough.

The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: The "hiring" process
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

My suggestion would be to look at their stats first, and their skills as secondary. You can teach them skills, or work the skills up, but stats are defining throughout their life. If their heart is high, you can get things like music and art up high, and they'll have higher loyalty and better recruiting power. If their intelligence is high, it'll help with computers, writing, and things like that. Agility and strength will help in combat (strength only counts if they're melee, but very high strength people make awesome melee fighters), and health is important for anyone that plans to stay alive in combat, even if only to run away faster. High wisdom, as you know, is dangerous, as it reduces their loyalty under pressure. At the same time, it allows them to learn social skills like business and religion that will help them get big bonuses when interrogating or recruiting people who also share those skills.

Edit: I'm thinking about making you only get partial information about their skills and abilities at the start of the process and slowly give more detailed information as you give them tasks. Maybe at start you just know what their one highest skill is, and a sense of how high their heart is and how tough they look, and as you send them to do things you get an idea of how smart they are, their secondary skills, a more precise number on their stats, etc.. This has been discussed and suggested before, but I want to see if it sounds fun to people.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Nice idea on not making all skills obvious. Though you may not like it, you could have an appraisal skill or maybe make appraisal tied to leadership. The more experienced you are in leading people the better you would be at estimating their ability which would translate to immediate appraisals of people.
That kind of leads nicely into my question. How does one train leadership?
First wave intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

Two ways.

1) You get about 1/20 of a level of Leadership every person you recruit through talking about the issues. It's given when they actually join, so you can't scam this by talking to lots of people then sending them away.
2) If your immediate subordinates go above 20-50 juice (not sure which), you get a little bit of all future juice gains from them, but it goes to Leadership instead of juice. This is the main way to get it.

Note that Leadership is capped harshly by your juice. You can't even finish getting your first level of it until you have 50 juice. But even one level is quite powerful.

[ May 10, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

[ May 10, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »

Talking about skills... here's a suggestion:

I want to see the defendant's skill when he is being charged...

That way you could have a general strategy to decide when to use your sleeper lawyer or giving in, or defending yourself if youre have great law & persuasion stats.  Right now i have to try and guess.

[EDIT]:  mmm now that i look in the sourceforge I see someone allready asked for it in the tracker: 1914858  "Law skill level display in the court"

[ May 10, 2008: Message edited by: Alexhans ]

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 04:50:00 am »

This is a good idea and not hard to implement. I just have to remember to do it.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

This seems the proper thread to post this question as the link between attributes and skills was mentioned here.
Is there a list available of which skills are related to which attributes? It doesn't seem that this would be "cheating," just part of the mechanics of the game. The reason I ask is that some I could see some skills being related to two attributes. Interrogation could be Intelligence or Charisma. Or what is Garment Making related to? Intelligence for the technical aspect or heart for the creative aspect?
First wave intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

Strength: Hand to hand, club

Agility: Knife, sword, pistol, rifle, SMG, shotgun, driving, improvised weapons, sleight of hand, stealth

Charisma: Persuasion, disguise, gangsterism, teaching, seduction

Heart: Art, music

Wisdom: Religion, business

Intelligence: Science, law, survival, first aid, security, interrogation, cooking, computers, garment making, writing, street sense

Juice: Leadership

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

I very often take anyone I can get... Even if they have no skills I just put them to Spreading the word and Legal Fundraising.

I only specifically "Hire" people with weapon skills and try to luck out with everyone else.

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

Wow, that would seem to heavily weight towards intelligence and agility.
First wave intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

Yeah, agility is heavily weighted primarily because of all the combat skills in the game that depend on being fast, graceful, or aiming a gun. Intelligence is natural to be extremely heavy for an important stat for skills, since really more skills require quick thinking above anything else, even ones that are assigned to other stats. If you have any suggestions for improvement, feel free to make them. Skills can have complicated custom methods for calculating the skill cap, other than a multiplier on an attribute; Leadership has this currently, with several lines of unique code to calculate its cap.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:18:41 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »

Done. Also moved the Dwarven Hammer to club and shank to knife. Improvised is meant to indicate how well you can figure out how to improvise and use something as a weapon most effectively even if it isn't meant to be -- figuring out the balance on a gun's weight to figure how best to use it as a club even if it isn't designed to, for example, fits improvised even though you may be clubbing people with it. But the hammer and shank are both designed to be weapons, so they don't really fit that skill set.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:18:49 pm by penguinofhonor »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 12:32:00 am »

It still has gavel, syringe, I think spraycan, some useless-in-combat junk like that.
Pages: [1] 2