Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Impossible Organization!  (Read 2761 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Impossible Organization!
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

I am finding it's almost impossible to keep everyone organized!  If I want to have everyone at a certain safehouse do something, it's a pain to go through the list, find everyone who is at safehouse A, and tell them to, for example, sell  t-shirts, except for these three guys who need to continue hacking or whatever.

So, I had a suggestion...

Split all actions into squads.  You can't tell individuals to do something, only squads.  And the squads work together and give each other bonus's, plus learn from each other.

For example, if you have a squad of people being activists, if one of them had high street sense, he/she would impart a bonus to everyone else.  If you had a squad making t-shirts, if one of them had a high garment making skill, he/she would impart a bonus to the rest.

What do you all think?

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Impossible Organization!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »

LCS really isn't designed to have a large organization, but the mechanics of the game encourage it, as more bodies means more money coming in, more activists, etc.. Rather than scale things up by removing emphasis on individual action and moving it to squad level, the plan was to force you to keep a few highly effective people rather than a lot of throwaways. That's the reasoning behind the new recruitment caps in the latest alpha release: it forces you to play the way the game is designed to be played, rather than encouraging you to have frustratingly large lists of people.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

Ah I see.

Only problem is, I am finding it impossible to maintain anything without a large group of people to help with funding.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

It would help if illegal fundraising wasn't so dangerous. The credit card fraud, for example, is relatively safe and lucrative -- since you never leave the safehouse, you never get in trouble. Adjusting prostitution and brownies to be less risky would help to ensure that you can maintain a higher income without having farms of legitimate fundraisers.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

There should be an option to create an Organization Front, like a business front but more publicly related to the LCS.  Depending on your popularity it should generate funds and stuff.  If the police ever raid it, though, you should take a huge hit on your popularity, due to the scandal of criminals being involved with the non-profit organization.

Also should be a good place to get volunteers for the LCS.  The more popular it is the more encounters with large amounts of liberals there should be while wandering around in it.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 04:53:00 am »

Having an HQ for the LCS where people show up and such has been desired for awhile now... it wouldn't be hard to do, it'd work similar to how the Liberal Guardian HQ site upgrade does now, only perhaps(?) it wouldn't prevent fortifying the location.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 07:41:00 am »

If the Organizational Front is meant to be a legal, non-profit organisation, it will be pretty strange for it to be surrounded by anti-tank mines and booby-traps...
(having a publicly known head quarters for your more violent wing (the real LCS) is highly counterproductive)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:12:00 am »

You could call it a modern art thing, or put it there because "The government will stop at nothing to keep you from the truth!"
Shoes...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>You could call it a modern art thing, or put it there because "The government will stop at nothing to keep you from the truth!"</STRONG>

I... don't think that would work.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 02:04:00 pm »

"They're, like, just big planters for peaceful flowers and stuff".

Seriously.  Decorative Tank Traps

Edit:  And even more: http://www.wausautile.com/index.cfm/choice/security/page/intro/id/54
Holy Crap: http://www.wausautile.com/index.cfm/choice/TerraForm/page/Bollards/family/6/product/y/id/29
Smiley Bollard in Designer Colors!: http://www.wausautile.com/index.cfm/choice/TerraForm/productdetail/y/thumbnail/WT1265/id/29/productnum/TF6115

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: gimlet ]

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gimlet:
<STRONG>"They're, like, just big planters for peaceful flowers and stuff".

Seriously.  Decorative Tank Traps</STRONG>

I was more thinking like, decorative anti-tank mines.

"Don't step there.  You'll crush the... flowers.  Yeah."

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

Oh and for the selling brownies, I had a pretty decent start recruiting mainly lawyers early on - they can defend themselves pretty decently if caught for smallish stuff like selling brownies.  I was even able to afford a law 10 Liberal Judge giving them extra law and persuasion training  :D   That was working out pretty well, even the hippies were Law 6 after a couple of months.

This next game I mean to set up a "train the trainer" - get a good priest and scientist to relatively cheaply train a top liberal judge, buff up his persuasion, and then set him to training promising interrogators.

One thing that helped too was recruiting in batches so they'd be mostly grouped:  that way my 30 or so brownie sellers were in a nice lump.  I *think* getting arrested and released puts em at the bottom though, which was a bit of a drag.  I don't remember, I died stupidly shortly afterwards that game  :p

I do mean to test putting in some kind of "Filter" functionality in my download so I can go site by site as you suggest.  Maybe a search or sort, to find specific skills or attributes - it does get to be hard to find guys, even with tagging interesting ones with notes in their names.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

no, after they are released they take the same places as before. which used to be a drag when you had to look over 10 screens of activists for all who "hang out" every 1st of the month (actually you have do do this more often- people come from hospitals too- but meh)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 02:19:00 am »

Hopefully this will be alleviated through recruit caps and easing up the vice squads. I've toned down arrests greatly for brownies and prostitution.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 02:41:00 am »

I think that there should be one or two groups of an inner circle you can control directly; while all un-skilled folk are controlled indirectly via weekly meetings or secret transmissions/emails/graffitis.  

So while you and your top operatives are breaking into labs, your general mass of people will be picketing or doing less daring maneuvers or whatever- without much more control than 'go and raise funds'/'smash stuff'/'spread the word'.

Pages: [1] 2