Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Crawl Roll Call  (Read 26564 times)

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl Roll Call
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2008, 03:08:52 pm »

Basically, I don't use or like vi. I've always seen the vi-like keys as a little bit unnecessary, as well. I mean, almost no one who doesn't use vi uses them and those that do use vi usually don't need them. I was being somewhat hyperbolic in my last post, but I do find it irritating when vi keys are the only option available, which fortunately is rarely the case.
That's all understandable.  The habit of using vi keys goes back a looong way, as many older games have vi-only keys.  Think of them as the classical equivalent of wasd.

I hope no hardcore emacs users are reading this topic, lying in wait to start an Editor War.

Sharpening their fangs, consuming what little blood remains in the rats upon which they feed.  The emacs users wait in the shadows, anticipating the day in which they can close their grubby little claws around an innocent light-dwelling creature.

"C-Soon", they mutter, "C-Soon we M-will M-rule these C-lands".  They clutch their swollen pinkie fingers as the sun falls in the horizon.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2008, 03:31:05 pm »

what exactly happens when you melee with your ranged weapon?

I tend to die hehe
If you have enough Unarmed combat, you might get some kicks/special unarmed attacks off but im not sure what govern the damage you do with the ranged weapon in close combat, i think its a really low static amount of damage + str mod. The only thing unarmed combat might improve is the chance to hit with it...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2008, 03:41:55 pm »

IMHO...
Best god: Makhleb

Worst gods: Xom, Shining One

Demonspawn Chaosknights of Makhleb are awesome.
And Orange Crystal Statues are the most deadly thing I have ever seen.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2008, 05:33:01 pm »

Akrasiac stats show that Dwarven fighters under the Shining One are full of concentrated win, though I don't see why SO is any good apart from shieldboosting. Maybe its the deathprevention?

Personally, I stick with Okawaru. Mini-berserk and gifts of +3 magicresist platemail are lifesavers.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2008, 06:38:39 pm »

Makhleb gives you the power to summon demons at relatively low levels, along with destruction magic.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2008, 08:09:49 pm »

Akrasiac stats show that Dwarven fighters under the Shining One are full of concentrated win, though I don't see why SO is any good apart from shieldboosting. Maybe its the deathprevention?

Personally, I stick with Okawaru. Mini-berserk and gifts of +3 magicresist platemail are lifesavers.

Have you read my previous post about Okawaru? Mini-berserk? HAH! Nothing like a full natural zerk by Trog! And its rare that you actually get gifts that are handy. RARE.

Sadly, my minotaur died by the hands of a overpowered centaur warrior. Damn them, and he was the farthest I ever gotten with a character! Dungeon level 13 or something and I even went through 2 levels of the orc mines but couldn't go further because I couldn't find the next down staircase. And the lair is nasty at times. Nasty.

I'm going back to the demonspawn, this time trying out a chaosknight! And Makhleb is awesome indeed!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2008, 08:47:47 pm »

Makhleb is useful. Try plowing through some weak enemies between stronger kills to gain HP and MP. Very useful, along with demon summoning and his magic spells, although the magic spells are more useful to mummies since they don't get hungered.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2008, 09:18:59 pm »

My issue with Trog is the post-berserk exhaustion and the fact that he only gives weapons (in my experience). Spellcasting isn't much an issue if you're playing a strong melee character, but having half a dozen +6 vorpalized superaxes and no real armor is. You can only carry ONE weapon. However, you can carry bootshelmglovesarmorcloak.

Pick Trog if you find a early amulet of resist slow. Berserk+noslow = WIN.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2008, 09:26:48 pm »

Trog = Death of many weak monsters, but you overexert and are left vulnerable afterwards to that elemental creeping around the corner.

Makhleb = Overall goodness.

Xom = Tons and tons and tons of cursed items, hordes of demons(hostile), and a bloody death.

Shining One = A set of bullshit rules that serverely limit you.

Zin = Almost as bad as Shining One, but a little better.

Those are the ones I have experience with.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2008, 10:18:18 pm »

I love this game! Unfortunalty, I always do something remarkably stupid and die. I have maybe fifty characters that never made it to character level seven.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2008, 03:59:58 am »

Get used to it, I have probably over 100.

Poor fellows...  :'(

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2008, 10:44:08 am »

Trog = Death of many weak monsters, but you overexert and are left vulnerable afterwards to that elemental creeping around the corner.

Makhleb = Overall goodness.

Xom = Tons and tons and tons of cursed items, hordes of demons(hostile), and a bloody death.

Shining One = A set of bullshit rules that serverely limit you.

Zin = Almost as bad as Shining One, but a little better.

Those are the ones I have experience with.
Basically I pretty much agree.
Since I play monk the most, there's something I have to add:

I think (but never tried it enough) that it's actually a good thing to train a weapon later on. Just one. If you go a more magical route, that's out of the question, but I think UC, Fighting, dodging and then some supplemental skills (like either a real weapon or a small magic tree) are absolutely doable, XP wise.

So in that light, trog might be a useful choice, since "weapons focused on damage" are perfect, since your defense is mostly based on dodging, anyway.

Zin on the other hand might be a shitty deity, but RP-wise (don't laugh, all I got in ascii games is my imagination :D) I really like the preaching and brawling combination ... I never got far that way, tho, but I'm working on it.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2008, 07:13:52 pm »

I like xom so much :p

He keeps you on the edge ,man.
And then kill you.

With your own weapon.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

Ah...Zin...

I tried preaching to a centaur before.
Don't.
He went berserk and shot the shat out of me with a magic bow of frost.

And what the hell is an Axe of Orc Slaying?!
My orc priest Song got ambushed by an Axe and Spear of Orc Slaying, It looked like a pack of flying weapons.
Unfortunately, I was locked in battle with ice beasts at the time.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2008, 05:26:36 pm »

Then it probably was a pack of flying weapons. They do that sometimes.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11