Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Crawl Roll Call  (Read 26572 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl Roll Call
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2008, 08:48:47 pm »

Priests are the cheapest thing ever.

Orc ones can gain massive armies of trained fighters and wizards, not to mention other priests, and mummy priests can raise the dead.

My orc priest Song has full enchanted plate mail with a shortsword of electrocution +3 +4, 5 magic rings, 3 wands, and a named orc warrior as my commander.

Buergh or whatever his name is, is freaking awesome.
I was fighting Edmund and a swarm of hounds and goblins, so he sent reinforcements in the form of four warriors and two wizards.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2008, 12:17:22 am »

Has anyone figured out a way to kill dragons? My ridiculously epic characters can wade through out of depth enemies without trouble, but get destroyed by dragon breath dealing 50+ damage a pop.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2008, 05:13:58 pm »

Hey, I figured out how to work the telnet. Now you can view my lack of skill at roguelikes here. My most recent obsession has been with Kobolds. Also, I apparently have over 20% of all Kenku summoners.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2008, 01:06:14 am »

Has anyone figured out a way to kill dragons? My ridiculously epic characters can wade through out of depth enemies without trouble, but get destroyed by dragon breath dealing 50+ damage a pop.

I too don't like the sound of dragons in the dungeon. Perhaps you should summon help or sick things that you control on a single dragon at a time?

I don't know, I have never got that far! The furthest that I got to was the second level of the orc mines.  :'(

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2008, 07:00:16 am »

Hey, I figured out how to work the telnet. Now you can view my lack of skill at roguelikes here. My most recent obsession has been with Kobolds. Also, I apparently have over 20% of all Kenku summoners.
On the topic of figuring out how to work the telnet, without this guide I would have never made it.

So if you're interested, check it out and you'll be online in a flash.

Should've posted the link earlier, but I only just know remembered it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:03:22 am by LASD »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2008, 09:11:52 am »

Dragons are brutal... You first need the appropriate resist to its element if you want to stand a chance, and even then they will still do some pretty high damage. They are resistant to pretty much all enchantements too so there is not many way to take them down other than lots of damage. With a fighter try to berserk, or haste it is usually enough. Summoners should not have too much trouble... Casters have it rough unless the dragon is weak to one of your schools of magic.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2008, 08:20:14 pm »

Sweet! I'm a Crawl fan from a couple of years back!

I didn't know there was a new version out (and two months old, now!)! Vampires!? New gods!? Awesome new interface!?

I think I just had an ASCII-gasm.

One issue I have is that my old full-screen alt-enter standby has failed me, and I can't find an option in the init for it. Any help?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2008, 03:54:11 am »

Okay, just met my first ghost.  He was an old demonspawn summoner I created and quickly got bored with after I found out that he couldn't even summon paltry imps, and instead had to make do with calling forth rats and bats.  Maximum two at a time.

Even that pathetic weakling of an adventurer managed to nail the minotaur gladiator who went down to that level (3).  Apparently, death gave him the ability to summon poisonous green rats and orange "Holy SH*T a rat shouldn't do that much damage/level drain" rats.  Maximum five at a time (well, I dunno.  If I had lived longer there might have been more).

Anyways, I would like to say that ghouls can actually be a bit fun if you organize your eating habits.  I've done a few chaos knights recently, and I've got an interesting backstory for that character type.  However, Lugonu just isn't a very interesting god...  Painful blinking?  Spend piety to send your foes somewhere else?  Go to the abyss?  Leave the abyss?  The only interesting abilities he gives are corruption and weapon warping.

However, the death-related gods aren't that well suited to someone who wants to eat corpses rather than turn them into slaves.  Yredelemnul is basically "necromancy-for-dummies", while the more awesome Kikubaaqudgha is really just the owner of a bookstore for post-grad necromancers.

Makhleb is more of a fire-and-brimstone generic demon lord, much too flashy for a ghoul.  Xom is entirely out of the question.

Oh deary dear, guess I'll just have to make do with Lugonu.  You can sometimes get lucky and start off with extra piety if you find a portal out of the abyss instead of using your power to skedaddle.

By the way, is there any estimated level of experience where you can semi-safely wander around the abyss?  Since the monsters never stop coming, that could be a nice higher-level farm.  Plus, it's kinda cool there.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2008, 04:55:12 pm »

I just did pretty good (compared to my past exploits) with a Kenku Venom Mage.  Got double-teamed by a hippogriff and an imp, foolishly thought I could win the fight...

Alas, the first few ice bolts missed and the next few bolts and stings weren't enough to take either down.  One more turn and I like to think I could have teleported away...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 05:00:15 pm by wallish »

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2008, 05:34:46 am »

For a while, I thought I'd figured out the secret to surviving dragon encounters -- summon butterflies and then run away while it spends twenty turns destroying a cloud of worthless flappy things. Clearly, I'm just a bit wrong. Ihatedragonssogoddamnmuch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2008, 11:19:58 am »

I recently had a good run with a merman ice elementalist and was doing great!

Until I met a lone Ice beast...

Damn you crawl, you shattered my hopes again...

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2008, 11:58:33 am »

I was playing last night (found the ctrl-v thing that let me increase the screen size) and whipped up a crap-load of characters. Played with several character, because I suck at this and wanted to try the new Vampires.

I like them flavor-wise, and the mechanics are fun. That said, I am nowhere near experience enough with this game to actually get them anywhere. (don't think I made it further than DL:4).

In other news, playing the Hill Orc Priest was awesome. And it reminded me of something.

Shortly before I stopped playing, I learned of an interesting little trick and thought it would be interesting to use. Basically, a lot of people use the Ecumenical Temple as a storage space, because you don't need to worry about a wandering monster moving your stuff, and it's fairly large. But you can also do this: After finding the temple, drop whatever you want to store in it. Then leave the temple by returning to the previous level. Save and quit. Open up you save files, inside you should find a list of maps. The one you are looking for is after the dungeon level you just saved on. Copy that file, and place it in another folder. Start up a new character. When they get to the temple, have them enter, then leave. Save and exit again. Delete the current player's temple map, and replace it with your archived one. Rename the map to the same name as your current character. Start the game, load up the new characters save, and enter the Temple. Voila! You just learned how to make a universal stash for all of your crawlers. The level of scumminess of the stash depends on what you use it for. Food storage is never a bad idea, and is only a little scummy, but you could always store a bunch of excellent items there, and take your crawler to the orb everytime. Hell, it's even possible to duplicate items using this method! (Which I'm sure you can figure out yourself.) Just make sure you keep your character out of the temple when saving, and keep the archived map updated so you don't lose anything.

Last time I did this I had a Kobold named The Librarian keep everything neat and tidy, and ID'd. He also was rather well-read. I wanted to use a Mummy or Ghoul, but I couldn't get one down there. Consequently, there are a lot of dead librarians in that version.  :D Think I'm going to try again.

As for ghost issues, when a character dies there is a chance the game will create something called a bones file. This is what makes the ghosts appear. You can safely delete these until you're ready to deal with them. Otherwise the ridiculous number of dead characters you have is going to keep you from really learning anything. In 4.3, bones files are located in the saves folder. I hope they give you an init option in future versions to just turn the things off. But I have a feeling I'm going to get blammed for this post enough as it is.

HAPPY CRAWLING!  ;D

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2008, 11:08:28 pm »

Try the telnet version: there are rarely any ghosts.

Player ghosts are seriously overpowered. When I played offline, I managed to kill about two. Out of about sixty. They took down about half my HP each time.

Kobolds have a decent translocations aptitude (better than their other magic) but warpers aren't recommended for them. I think warpers just suck or something, because I can't manage to get anywhere with one.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2008, 01:59:54 am »

SSH-ing into akrasiac means my laptop can't fn-numpad/arrowkey move. All I can do is press the 1-9 on the regular keyboard for movement. Am I just being an idiot and missing something horribly obvious / a workaround?

How to beat ghosts : Run away.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2008, 07:32:16 am »

If I encounter ghosts it's usually with a strong character anyway. The ghosts are deprived of items, remember that.

So everytime I encounter a ghost, it tends to go down.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11