Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Crawl Roll Call  (Read 26583 times)

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl Roll Call
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2008, 10:53:43 pm »

Spriggan assassins are pretty fun. Intrinsic Speed:3 and stealth/stab let you deal with the occasional OOD nasty pretty well.

That, plus you can run away from everything.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2008, 11:29:21 pm »

So I was trying a draconian chaos knight and on the first floor of the dungeon I kept hearing grinding noises. What do those mean?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2008, 01:26:55 am »

By the way, do you guys know what the "Traps & Doors" skill does? I assume it has something to do with finding traps and operating doors, but I'm not sure.

Also, anyone here play as Wanderers?

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2008, 03:01:19 am »

This just in: Sigmund is lame.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2008, 03:04:19 am »

By the way, do you guys know what the "Traps & Doors" skill does? I assume it has something to do with finding traps and operating doors, but I'm not sure.

Also, anyone here play as Wanderers?
Traps & Doors makes it easier to find doors and traps. It also makes disarming (or disabling?) traps easier. All characters should train it to level 3-5 at some point. Training is quite easy when you are able to kill hill giants (or centaurs or ogres or ghosts) or other creatures that yield a lot of exp, because when you have 200+ exp in the exp pool, going next to a trap and pressing Ctrl+'direction-of-the-trap' makes the character try to disarm the trap and so use the exp pool to quickly train the skill. Just make sure the trap you're disarming is something that can be disarmed and not something like a blade or Zot trap that just gets you killed.

I have thought about starting a Wanderer, but then I remember that the game doesn't recommend it to any race. It's a challenge class if I remember correctly. The other challenge class is the thief which is basically an assassin without a blowgun and needles.

P.S. I just remembered that I haven't yet thanked Deon for getting me to play this game. He advertised this game in some thread, I got interested, tried it and got instantly hooked. So, Deon, if you're following this thread, thank you.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 03:07:51 am by LASD »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2008, 07:53:11 am »

Well, my demonspawn fighter just died. He had a huge amount of jewelry and wands, and then got killed by Erolcha, an ogre mage, after being hit by a paralysis spell and blasted by a bunch of damaging spells. He also got 2.6 k points, which means he got even further than my draconian fire elementalist.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2008, 08:10:04 am »

Bwahaha.  Well, I think I've reached the prime for my orc priest's life.  He's wandering around in the orcish mines, and currently has around forty people following him.  Including an orcish priest, about three orcish zombies, and an orcish sorceror who summons demons as a hobby.

I'm sitting on top of the entrance to the elven halls right now.  Think I'll pop in and see how long it takes for my band to get shredded.

EDIT:  Not that long, apparently.  I've had to go back to the mines several times just to round up more followers before heading back in.  But it's great fun waging war on the elves! 

I also came across something strangely appropriate.  I was just going about sacrificing the corpses of a few orcs who had gotten themselves killed by repeatedly walking over a trap, when one of the others said "Our fallen brethren won't be forgotten".  How touching.

But it is a bit strange when I think about how I'm either eating or sacrificing the corpses of my faithful.  I'm sure orcs will be able to see the beauty in such things.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2008, 08:36:29 am »

Think of it as their final service :3

Just started a mummy necromancer now.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2008, 01:48:17 pm »

How exactly do you learn new spells? I've tried to learn new spells by reading a spellbook but it just gives me a description of the spell.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2008, 01:56:47 pm »

Y'know what's lame? If you read a scroll of fear while surrounded by your orc allies, they'll turn against you.

I had to slay my best friend, the warrior Warbeogh. He had accompanied me for 6 leves, and saved my life many times. I felt pain then. True pain.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2008, 02:12:32 pm »

'M' for memorize.

Also, I', never reading unIDed scrolls near allies, in that case.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2008, 02:49:50 pm »

Does anyone know anything about bladehands (or any other transformations)? According to the crawlwiki, it's supposedly ridiculously powerful coupled with unarmed combat, but I'm afraid to use it in case I can't swap back to my +4 bow of velocity.

<3 Spriggan transmuters, by the way. High running speed, long range AoE status effecting attacks, and ridiculously low potentials = win.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2008, 03:03:19 pm »

"Our fallen brethren won't be forgotten".  How touching.

Gonna pour a sip of your Potion of Healing on the ground, for your dead homies?
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 03:40:09 pm »

Maybe later.

Right now, I'm tooling around with different types of characters.  I've killed off a demonspawn chaos knight that I didn't find too interesting, and I've lost many a mummy or vampire necromancer to pathetically minor creatures or events.

However, I have also started a Spriggan enchanter.  With the various abilities listed on the wiki, the image that popped into my mind was a cheerful but potentially wrathful leprechaun.  I have thus named him Flannigan.

An O'Something name would've been best, but you can't use apostrophes in a name.

I have to admit though, my greatest reason for picking a Spriggan was the potion of porridge.  I just couldn't resist its gluggy goodness.  Which reminds me; I'm beginning to wonder what I'm going to do for food, since vegetarian meals are slightly hard to come by in the depths...  Other than that, he seems to be doing just fine with "painting" enemies and then throwing stuff at them.  He's already reached level 4, exp-wise.

Think I'll start up another vampire necromancer.  I just can't get enough of the blighters...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 05:18:25 pm »

I had an amazing mummy summoner that was killing everything in sight until he miscast summon scorpions and a hostile abomination 2-hit killed him.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11