Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Crawl Roll Call  (Read 26579 times)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2008, 10:36:10 pm »

Oh yeah, just in case there are any real NetHack fanatics here; in Crawl, your god wants you to pray. They like it. They'll help you if you pray a lot, too, but it won't make them angry.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 10:59:54 pm »

Well it's just not only in NetHack... Gods get pissed all the time in other roguelikes a lot if you pray to them.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 11:02:25 pm »

Yeah, ADOM, etc. I was just betting on the hardcore ADOMers being rarer than NetHack players, what with Biskup's development barely crawling along at this point.  :P

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 10:59:54 am »

Hmmm. got killed on level 5 by an ogre now.

Was playing a mountain dwarf hunter on a lark. He was a far greater character than any before him, reaching nearly 1000 points. I blame my success on +1 platemail and high hitpoints.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 06:45:56 pm »

So... Has anyone here besides me done the orc swarm thing as a priest of Beogh?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 08:39:16 am »

Yeah orc priest is fun, your minions even say things once in a while, and they become stronger too... Never managed to get very high level with one for some reason... In fact i never managed to succeed in bringing back the orb, but i did touch it once and then died the next turn.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 08:44:28 am »

I've tried the orc priest role about seven times now.  The best one made it to exp level 6 and dungeon level 4.  He was killed by a zombie frog.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2008, 12:43:11 pm »

I did the Orc Priest thing once. Rolling through the Orcish Mines was the most fun I've ever had in NetHack.

Then I got cocky and decided to take my huge mob of followers to the dark elf levels. That did not end well.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2008, 04:31:41 pm »

I did the Orc Priest thing once. Rolling through the Orcish Mines was the most fun I've ever had in NetHack.

Then I got cocky and decided to take my huge mob of followers to the dark elf levels. That did not end well.

Whatwhatwhat.  Orc/Dark Elf levels?  I've never seen or heard anything about this before.
Someone care to enlighten me?
I mean, I know there are multiple areas, judging from the fact that there's a travel button that allows you to quickly move between them, but I've never actually BEEN into one.
How do you get there?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:22 pm »

There's a branch within a branch; the Elven Halls are inside the Orcish Mines. I've never found the entrance as a Hill Orc Priest, though, so I can't say what watching all of your followers get shot from afar by cowardly elves must feel like.

Also, this isn't NetHack.

And Kagus, just stick with it. You'll figure it out eventually. Make sure you SACRIFICE EVERYTHING THAT MOVES; and when you get the ability to smite things, smite things that could possibly kill you.  Every time you smite, Beogh feels less and less inclined to help you, so use it sparingly. You can recharge his favor by drowning the unbelievers in a sea of blood. If you find a missile weapon that isn't cursed, use it. Wear metal armor. If there's a slow moving enemy, run away from it and attack it at range.

Don't worry if you don't find the Orb. I've never even ENTERED Zot, because I've always gone for that beach vacation in the Shoals or something. I want to play around in every dungeon branch before I win the game.

Edit:

It happened again.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:56:22 pm by inaluct »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2008, 09:29:43 pm »

Argh!  Summoner ghosts are perhaps the CHEAPEST things ever.
They summon something like 50 monsters...
If this ghost is even somewhat close to your level, gg.
inaluct: Here's a suggestion - Use a name.
It won't help you in any way, but Player is so anticlimactic...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 11:20:57 pm »

I love merfolk chaos knights. Not as much as hydra chaos knights, but merfolk seem to survive longer.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2008, 02:41:37 am »

Vampire necromancers have actually got a nice thing going...  They can suck all the blood (and meat, and tissue, and cartilage, and organs, and...) out of a corpse so you're left with a skeleton.  You can then raise that skeleton as a loyal follower with one of your first-level baby spells.  And the hunger doesn't mean a whole lot, since you just ate.

But it can be a pain to get poisoned as a vampire...  That's how my first vampire character died.  I just can't keep my hands away from that wonderful regeneration.

Ghouls are great fun though.  Munching everything that passes your way, holding onto meat until it takes on that tangy flavor of decay...  Mmm... 

Not a good choice for the religious types, since you'll have to decide which corpses to eat and which ones to sacrifice.

And yes, I have been sacrificing everything that moves.  Hell, I've even been praying before entering battle just in case that somehow gives me more favor for killing enemies while under the effect.

I've been thinking about mummies...  I've always found Egyptian-themed stuff to be cool, but I'm trying to figure out how best to kit one of the band-aid boys.  Necromancers seem the most thematic, but religious death knights also seem appropriate.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2008, 08:39:04 am »

I've always been one for a demonspawn reaver in the original.

I never lived long...

Best I did was a minitor fighter, who drowned in a sea of orcs on the second level of the orc mines. Ran out of wand charges. :(

Any advice for making a good character?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2008, 08:43:27 am »

I am not sure if playing a Mummy is all that worth it.

Their crippling weaknesses negates a lot of their benefits (such as being unable to use potions)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11