Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Crawl Roll Call  (Read 26575 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 08:49:10 pm »

Is there some sort of guide to this game?

I tried to be a Ghoul Chaos Knight who was buddied with the unformed god... but I really didn't know how to do anything.

The only spell/ability I got was "Warp Space" and I had to deal with being unable to identify anything (which is a shame because I started off with +4 armor that I could have had the whole time)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 09:23:30 pm »

Well...

Um...

There's Crawlwiki. It'll tell you how to eat as a ghoul and how to spread chaos.

Really, though, try an orc priest. It's like being Barack Obama.

Okay, maybe I'm not the best person to give advice. You might want to try playing as a vampire, though. They're pretty fun.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 09:26:56 pm by inaluct »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 10:05:38 pm »

I can't figure out how you managed to get a player ghost to show up..  I've died several times, no ghost thus far...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 10:16:42 pm »

They always show up at the depth they died, and they're somewhat rare. Eventually, you'll meet one. Hopefully, you don't like playing UNSTOPPABLE JUGGERNAUT type characters, because if you do, they'll kill you.

Fast.

My last copy of Crawl got unplayable because of all the player ghosts. It was too hard.

I don't know yet if ghosts can use missile weapons they had when they died, but I pray every night to Zin that they can't.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 10:34:35 pm »

They always show up at the depth they died, and they're somewhat rare. Eventually, you'll meet one. Hopefully, you don't like playing UNSTOPPABLE JUGGERNAUT type characters, because if you do, they'll kill you.

Fast.

My last copy of Crawl got unplayable because of all the player ghosts. It was too hard.

I don't know yet if ghosts can use missile weapons they had when they died, but I pray every night to Zin that they can't.
If they're so unstoppable, how could they have died?  :V
Also, I just found two shops carrying everything I could ever want, right next to each other.  The only problem?  About FIFTY orcs and jackals appeared out of nowhere and tore me to shreds.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 02:13:53 pm »

Most of them eventually get killed by things like molten gargoyles or starvation. Swarms of killer bees are pretty bad, too. So are gnolls.

If you want to try something interesting, play as a mountain dwarf hunter. You'll get a crossbow and a stack of bolts with some leather armor, just like in DF!

U

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 11:07:57 am »

Okay.  Anyone wanna give me a rundown of what this thing is?  And a link to the homepage, seeing as my fingers are entirely too worn out to run a search on Google.

And also because I think it might be mildly appropriate to actually have a link to the game, seeing as this is  thread dedicated to it.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 02:28:05 pm »

I could give a shot at giving a rundown.

Also I could grab my advertisement speech from another thread instead:
If you want a roguelike that isn't awfully complex to get into, but is great in every way that other roguelikes are, try Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup! It's completely free and available for download at all times! The only thing you have to do is to unpack it in your computer and hand over all your spare time!
(Might cause horrible fits of rage if used excessively)

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is now also available in the sparkling new perplexing technology called telnet! Just log on to crawl.akrasiac.org and get ready get killed innumerably many times and let everyone see you do that! And you'll have amazingly fun while doing it!
(Overworld and story lines never included.)

P.S. More seriously speaking, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is very good (although quite straightforward), everyone should give it a try.
So, that's about it. The homepage is a bit harder endeavour, because it doesn't really exist. http://sourceforge.net/projects/crawl-ref/ is the closest you can get. You (or anyone interested) might want to also take a look at the following link to the telnet server page, it holds Crawl-related links too. http://crawl.akrasiac.org/

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 04:06:27 pm »

I could give a shot at giving a rundown.

Also I could grab my advertisement speech from another thread instead:
If you want a roguelike that isn't awfully complex to get into, but is great in every way that other roguelikes are, try Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup! It's completely free and available for download at all times! The only thing you have to do is to unpack it in your computer and hand over all your spare time!
(Might cause horrible fits of rage if used excessively)

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is now also available in the sparkling new perplexing technology called telnet! Just log on to crawl.akrasiac.org and get ready get killed innumerably many times and let everyone see you do that! And you'll have amazingly fun while doing it!
(Overworld and story lines never included.)

P.S. More seriously speaking, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is very good (although quite straightforward), everyone should give it a try.
So, that's about it. The homepage is a bit harder endeavour, because it doesn't really exist. http://sourceforge.net/projects/crawl-ref/ is the closest you can get. You (or anyone interested) might want to also take a look at the following link to the telnet server page, it holds Crawl-related links too. http://crawl.akrasiac.org/
Stone Soup is the most recently updated.
It is most definitely *not* the "home page" per se.
Granted, it's the version you want to use, but they're not the original creators of the game.
Either way, other then that, you're right on.
(Yes, there IS an actual home page.
Just that the developer behind it stopped developing >.>)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 04:16:31 pm by jaybud4 »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 01:58:34 pm »

Xom is so great.

At first, you will think "What good is a god that can kill me for no reason at any time?" but then you will understand. It is all a test. Xom knows the true horrors that lurks below, he want you to be prepared... Thats why he summoned all those demons, while you where slowed, poisoned and almost starving. Its all for your good, it keeps you on your toes(or your newly aquired hooves).

Or then again maybe he just doesnt care...

Do You Feel Lucky? Well Do Ya, Punk?

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 02:36:42 pm »

Ahh... Crawl, my favourite rougelike.

I haven't really played it much for the last 2 or 3 years, so I don't know if Stone Soup goes in a right direction.
In b26, I got 1 or 2 wins with easier combos (Demonspawn Chaos Knight of Mahleb and, I think, Sludge Elf Transmuter).

I love the skill system, differentiated gods and the developers's strive to remove grinding/farming from the game.

In comparison, when I remember doing something as mind-numbingly boring as training your pet to steal from stores in Nethack or changing levels in ToME to farm artifacts, I simply shudder with disgust.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 03:02:10 pm »

Okay... I've tried searching for info on how to spread chaos for my beloved unformed one, but I'm obviously missing something.  Unless it's an ability that's only given later on, that is...  In which case I'm slightly buggered, as my longest run was a character who made it to experience level four.  Orc priest.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 03:58:45 pm »

Logunu, if thats the one you are refering to, does permit you to "corrupt" a level, but the one time i tried it i almost got killed by all the hostile summoned creatures it created. I guess you need some high level invocation... Its nice however, change the color of the floor/walls and is level wide...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 04:15:18 pm »

Yeah, but how do I do it?  Is it listed as an ability or is it stashed somewhere else?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 04:56:24 pm »

Ability. Make sure you kill things and then cut up their corpses while praying, Lugonu likes that. It will give you the ability after you make it happy enough by sacrificing enough things to the abyss.

Also, corrupt the Ecumenical Temple for added awesome. I think that might even generate more favor for you than corrupting a normal level.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11