Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Crawl Roll Call  (Read 26571 times)

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl Roll Call
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2008, 09:00:47 am »

Mummy is one of the strongest race in fact, if you can get past the first few levels. Their biggest weakness is their inability to drink potions, however they become less usefull as you get stronger. They also get pretty poor stats.

Their strength is in the fact that they are immune to necromancy backlash and they do not hunger. It may seem lackluster, but with those characteristics you can go slowly and be very careful, healing to full between each encounters. Mummy is really best played by a patient and methodic player. A little boring for me, but to each his own...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 07:15:53 pm »

Yeah, the mummies' biggest strength is the torment resistance. Death Knight and Necromancer are really good choices. I've had really good luck with mummy hunters and assassins, too.

Now that I think about it, I think I've just had better luck with mummies in general. A good idea when playing them is to kill things, duck into a little alcove, heal, kill more things, and repeat. You never have to keep moving, and so mummies are great if you want to go really leisurely. A mummy assassin can take Sigmund at level one, too; I know from personal experience.

It's the curare.

Also, Kagus, try running away and smiting things. I honestly don't know why it isn't working for you. Probably just bad luck.

By the way, are any of you guys good with crusaders?

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 07:48:59 pm »

I have no real idea what I am doing on Crawl.

I made a gnome crusader not so long ago though. Was pretty good I suppose.

My latest quasi-success was a troll summoner.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2008, 03:10:45 am »

My latest orc priest made it to level 9 xp-wise, and has started picking up followers.  Should be interesting from now on.

Alrighty then, think I'm gonna try my luck at a slow-and-easy mummy.  Now, mummies have a 105 aptitude value for invocations, a 100 value for necromancy and a 130 value for spellcasting...  Should religious or arcane necromancy be the preferred choice? 

Think I might also try a minotaur sometime soon.  My troll berserker was lots of fun until he met Sigmund and died.  I don't know if a troll or a minotaur would have a harder time with the food requirements...  A minotaur's metabolism runs slower, but a troll can eat just about anything.  And they don't need any items to help out with the butchery.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2008, 04:08:56 pm »

Mummy chaos knights under Makhleb are pretty awesome. Once you get the lesser destruction ability, you can spam it without consequence (barring mana) because you don't hunger.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2008, 06:14:30 pm »

Assuming you aren't up against a fire-immune enemy, Conjure Flame in a corridor is a great spell since they won't wade through it, for obvious reasons. Combine that with Sticky Flame and you have a great way to take down tough monsters :3

I'm trying a draconian Fire Elementalist right now. I lucked out in that he turned purple, although I'd have preferred red, mottled or pale
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2008, 06:19:14 pm »

I've never played a draconian, or a fire elementalist.

Ever.

Until 40 seconds from now.

Update:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 06:30:26 pm by inaluct »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2008, 06:32:09 pm »

You know the normal message you get when you wield a weapon of dragon slaying?

You feel a sudden desire to slay dragons.

Try wielding a weapon of dragon slaying while playing as a draconian :D

You feel a sudden desire to commit suicide.

Anbd I'm glad to provide an inspiration. Just hope you don't turn out to be white :3

EDIT: I just died in the orcish mines. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. I didn't actually have much in the way of impressive items though, just some luck and skill in crowd control. I got killed by a group of orcs, including a smoke demon, orc sorcerer and hellwing or whatever it was called. A final score of almost 2.5 k is two point five times better than my previous mountain dwarf hunter record.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 06:44:02 pm by Boksi »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2008, 06:49:41 pm »

ARRRGH MISCAST  MISCAST  MISCAST

I'm going to die. Oh well. Having gold dragon armor was fun for a while.  :P

Update, again: I seem to have miraculously survived. My next course of action remains unclear: can I manage to survive without spells but with kickass armor, or am I going to have to take it off?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 06:59:32 pm by inaluct »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2008, 07:05:25 pm »

Looking cool always trumps survival.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2008, 07:11:10 pm »

Depends. How much protection does it offer?

Although honestly, I think not having your spells constantly blowing up in your face is better than looking cool. Although if they constantly fail, you might end up with some mutations I heard.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2008, 07:12:38 pm »

Annnnnndd... I'm dead. Ironically, I was doing fine from then on with the armor, but I had a cursed club equipped, and so I couldn't butcher anything. I think you all know where this is going.

Anyway, I ran out of food and started looking for a scroll of remove curse so that I could butcher and eat a corpse. Eventually, when I was starving, a kobold came up and killed me.

Oh well.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2008, 07:20:18 pm »

Why equip a club in the first place, anyway?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2008, 07:22:29 pm »

I started with a +0,+0 knife. The club was glowing. It was too tempting to resist.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2008, 10:40:47 pm »

You fool! Don't you know that cursed weapons and armor glow or have runes or other enticing stuff happening to them just so you use them and get screwed over?!

It happens more than you think...

And Incursion is pretty good! I like it, and I'm also stuck with making good characters AGAIN.

Any help with both Incursion and/or Crawl in terms of characters? As far as I know, mummies are extremely strong and weak at the same time, minators are strong fighters and priests kick ass and lead in democracy when being an orc.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11