Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Crawl Roll Call  (Read 26570 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl Roll Call
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2008, 11:35:24 am »

My laptop doesn't have a numpad, but I messed around with keymaps so the arrow keys work.

Also, my ghosts always seem to have the attack power that they did when they were alive with a weapon. One of them was a ghost of a character with a dagger of shocking or whatever, and I got killed because it shocked me. And then you don't get the weapon.

And the ghosts are always the same speed that I am, so I can't escape.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2008, 01:16:09 pm »

SSH-ing into akrasiac means my laptop can't fn-numpad/arrowkey move. All I can do is press the 1-9 on the regular keyboard for movement. Am I just being an idiot and missing something horribly obvious / a workaround?

How to beat ghosts : Run away.

Yeah, use the Vim keys: hjkl (left,down,up,right) & yu (up left, up right) ,bn (down left, down right).  Let's see if I can make a good diagram...

Code: [Select]
y   k   u
  \ | /
h-  . - l
  / | \
b   j  n

Works wonders on laptops and is especially easy if you use vim.  On the plus side, if you don't use vim once you get used to these move commands using vim will be extremely easy!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2008, 01:41:24 pm »

Man, fuck vi. Don't use those shitty keys. Just press the numbers instead of using a Num Pad. Num Lock actually does something on laptops, I heard, so you might want to look into that.

By DO NOT use the vim keys. Just using the number bar is less counter intuitive than that crap.

FFFFFFFFFFF-

AAARRGH

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2008, 01:56:50 pm »

Not our fault you lack the brainpower to memorize some easy keystrokes =P ;D
This is not a signature.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2008, 02:48:05 pm »

I agree with Inaluct, I play in the dark, and my hand tends to slip off of the VIM keys.  The number line is much better.
Shoes...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2008, 02:52:59 pm »

Why should I have to memorize them? They make very little sense at all.

Better to have the numpad or in a pinch the number line.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2008, 03:01:12 pm »

Numpad is your friend.

And hill orc priests are almost rigged.

Mountain Dwarves are tanks.
I got a few pretty far before death (Damn you Sigmund, orc swarms and electric eels!).

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2008, 05:05:46 pm »

Okay, I tried it, and I'm having fun so far.

Here's the summary of the most successful dungeon crawler I made so far.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But I have a question: I'd like to make a monk and -hopefully- get him a blowgun.
Can I attack while wielding the blowgun and still train "unarmed combat" that way?

Does anybody know how that works? I didn't find anything on the wiki.
(And yes, I know there's a quick key for changing weapons, but I'd like to imagine him using the blowgun, like a 70ties-kung-fu-movie-kung-fu-master fighting with his opium pipe)

Oh, and another question: are there more complex roguelikes with -gasp- tilesets?
Mock me, but I don't like ascii display. I prefer tilesets, it's faster to get into the game imho. And another plus: everything reminds me of Ultima V that way :D

Anyways, I did a quick google for Incursion and didnt find any tilesets.
But Crawl is nice, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:07:50 pm by Puck »

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2008, 05:27:16 pm »

Clarification for my laptop numpad problems:

I actually don't have a numpad. I have a function key that lets me use part of the keyboard as the numpad.

Code: [Select]
7 8 9    7 8 9
u i o    4 5 6
j k l    1 2 3
So fn-i  makes 5.

Numlock on and off both haven't worked. I guess key remapping is the only way out.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2008, 10:09:45 pm »

I currently have a minotaur bezerker that I'm at level 9 of the dungeon with.

Trog is SO much better than Owakaru-whatsisname. Much simpler and more effective that that so called god.

Wish me luck!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2008, 10:25:32 pm »

Well, Mummy Berserkers can't go berserk. There goes my epic "I'll just sacrifice EVERYTHING to Trog" strategy. At least there are Death Knights.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2008, 11:36:47 pm »

Man, fuck vi. Don't use those shitty keys. Just press the numbers instead of using a Num Pad. Num Lock actually does something on laptops, I heard, so you might want to look into that.

By DO NOT use the vim keys. Just using the number bar is less counter intuitive than that crap.

FFFFFFFFFFF-

AAARRGH

You might be trolling, but why do the vi keys piss you off so much?  Vi is an awesome editor, the original Rogue, Nethack, and many other Rogue-likes use the vi keys.  They're awesome just like vi/vim is awesome.

I agree with Inaluct, I play in the dark, and my hand tends to slip off of the VIM keys.  The number line is much better.

How do your fingers slip off since J is a home key? 

Whatever, to each his/her own.  I like the vi keys because I use vim all the time so I've gotten used to those for directions.  It would seem like using the number line would be a lot harder than the vi keys, which only require about two minutes of learning to use.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2008, 12:19:10 am »

Basically, I don't use or like vi. I've always seen the vi-like keys as a little bit unnecessary, as well. I mean, almost no one who doesn't use vi uses them and those that do use vi usually don't need them. I was being somewhat hyperbolic in my last post, but I do find it irritating when vi keys are the only option available, which fortunately is rarely the case.

I hope no hardcore emacs users are reading this topic, lying in wait to start an Editor War.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2008, 04:04:06 am »

Crawl is the coolest game EVER.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

Let me just quickly shameless-plug my last post http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25994.msg317571#msg317571

the most important part for me would be the question:
what exactly happens when you melee with your ranged weapon?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11