Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Advanced personalities and evolving culture  (Read 2782 times)

Joutilas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advanced personalities and evolving culture
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:35:42 am »

Expanded from original thread “Perversion”

One of my all-time favorites, Medieval: Total War gave me an idea for DF's future development.

Currently, we have all-seeing knowledge of our Dwarfs inner thinking’s. One way to add additional flavor to them would be to include hidden traits that won't be normally revealed - in similar fashion as you have in Medieval with the nobles.

Currently, the personalities of the dwarfs are not really present in the game. They do a wonderful job in making our imagination soar as we read their profiles, but don’t really affect the game that much. The idea of this post is to visualize some ways they could be expanded to really make the dwarfs personalities stand out and also affect the direction the fortress is heading to.

My vision for this is based on two main suggestions:

• Hidden personality traits
  • Evolving culture

Hidden personality traits:

Currently, the player has total access to the most intimate thoughts and inner workings of a dwarf. While this contributes a lot to the “all-seeing-bene(/male)volent cave-spirit” but detracts from the playing experience. I like to think that the player is no smarter or knowledgeable than all the dwarfs combined, and in this way there simply are some things that no-dwarf knows. Hidden characteristics have already been suggested, so I won’t argue the case further, but rather will concentrate on the uses they could have.

My original thought was that the hidden traits would be mostly negative ones, such as:

Sadism - Urist McNoughty takes secret pleasure in inflicting pain upon others. If assigned to military duty, he tends to have more "accidents" while sparring. If hunting, he likes to take his time with his kills. And if assigned to the dwarven inquisition - he'll be very happy.

Deviant - Urist McKinky has unnatural liking for Elves. He spends way too much time in the trading depot whenever elven merchants are present - even though he's not trading or hauling!
(Can be linked to probability of indulging in this ->
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21189.0 )

Heretic - Urist McGoth prefers to engrave demons devouring dwarves. He is often seen in the secluded parts of the fort, holding private parties with like-minded individuals. Cats and dogs have started to go missing in the fort...

Sober - Urist McWeird seems to never visit the alcohol deposit. In fact, the still has had weird malfunctions ever since he settled in the fort...

Infiltrator - Urist McFriendly doesn't like to talk about his past. On his breaks, he spends a lot of time observing the fortress defenses. For some odd reason, nobody from his migrant group seems to really know him.

Anarchist - Ever since Urist McPunk settled in, the nobles have started having non-player related accidents. Their expensive rooms have been defaced; artifacts have gone missing from their rooms. What could be the cause?

Thief - Urist McGreedy likes shiny things - even beyond dwarven standards. A lot of expensive ores, gems and trade goods have gone missing. The traders are complaining that we're attempting to swindle them

Misanthropy - Urist McLonely has no friends, but he holds a lot of grudges. For some odd reason, he is on his most happiest during the darkest times. He attends a lot of funerals.

Necrophilia - Our ancestors graves have been defiled in unthinkable manner. The relatives of the deceased are in outrage. Accusations are flying wildly.

..etc.

Further discussion on the topic made me realize that they could also be expanded to include positive/neutral characteristics. You can see it as hidden potential, which is only surfaced in certain situations. Depending on the implementation, the dwarf might gain a positive “perk” that shows up in their profile once specific criteria are met.

Personally I imagine this occurring in extreme situations – when the dwarf is pushed to do something they’d not attempt in ordinary situations, their hidden potential would be surfaced. Normally the trait wouldn’t affect them, or in the most it would only have a miniscule effect that is hard to notice.

An example: McWoodcutter is cutting wood with his colleagues, when a goblin ambush arrives. The ambush fires arrow at the woodcutting party, wounding a hauler mortally. The civilians flee in panic, but McWoodcutter puts his ax aside and makes a mad dash towards to the wounded hauler. Despite the hail of arrows, he grabs the wounded dwarf, carrying him to safety in his back. If McWoodcutter survives, he gains a perk of “bravery” as he has realized his true potential and the criteria are met.

Evolving culture:

Idea behind the concept of “evolving culture” is that player’s actions have an effect on the way that the fortress develops. This would be demonstrated through the development of the dwarfs inside the fortress. Upon birth (generation), every dwarf would get a set of hidden personality traits. Just like in Medieval, in beginning those traits wouldn’t be visible. After all, the dwarfs are way too busy trying to survive to indulge in their dark sides or to search their inner potential.

But once the fortress grows and dwarfs have more idle time, the traits start to become more predominant. Eventually the dwarf will start affecting others around them, creating a kind of a snowball effect. So an anarchist/rebel will start to instigate anti-governmental movement, activating other dwarfs that have similar hidden traits. If they are not stopped, the group will start to affect also dwarfs that don’t have the specific hidden trait, but have the suitable personality traits (dislikes authority etc.).

To explain the sudden influx of dwarfs sharing the same hidden trait can also be explained quite simply – if one of the original seven dwarfs is secretly worshipping demons, they will attract more similar dwarfs’ in the future migrant groups. Some of the traits would naturally be more individual, such as infiltrators or pyromaniacs (though would be fun to see a cult of fire-loving dwarfs running the fort), so they wouldn’t affect “normal” dwarfs.

Now, there can also be several ways to avoid those perversions (like in Medieval). You could for example start a dwarven inquisition who weeds out the rotten individuals or appoint a dwarf to reform miscreants. Obviously those methods would also have a negative effect (incl. cultural) as well. And like in Medieval, you'll never be totally able to avoid them as they are a part of individual’s personality.

Some of those traits would improve greatly, if there would be also "natural occurrences" of certain suspicious things. So the player would never be totally sure of the cause of certain things (e.g. if corpses are disturbed in the graves, it can be a) thief, b) corpse-lover, c) cultists using them for rituals, d) wild animals).

So if one of your dwarfs is doing weird things, you’ll never be totally sure if it is just the broken AI acting up, or if the dwarf is up to something… After all, paranoia is fun and extremely dwarven!

Generally the bad-bad things would start happening at the end game, when the infrastructure is solidly in place and the game is otherwise starting to be too easy. The idea behind “evolving culture” is that player basically is reaping what they’ve been sowing. The fortress population forms their norms through the design choices the player has been making though the years. The way of living shapes up the personalities of the dwarfs inside the fort, and they start to value certain things whilst disliking others.

For example, if you never appoint a sheriff (that lives through the season), never have any fortress guards or build jails, your fort would go into a certain direction that can ultimately lead to total anarchy. Or if all the resources of the fortress go to making steel weapons and armor, whilst the naked dwarfs eat raw fish and sleep on cold stone… Well, THIS IS MADDNESS! Or if you have a massive cloth industry, decking out colorful clothes, at some point dwarf fashion would emerge.

In all of those cases, certain set of values would be formed. Ultimately this can lead to wars, rebellions and general mayhem. Or legendary dwarven civilization that’ll last decades.

This would add a totally new layer to the game. You wouldn’t just be thinking about taking care of the basic needs of your dwarfs, but also about the consequences that your design choices will have. Late game emergence of hidden traits would give something to look forward even in a mature fortress.

Obviously this is all quite far in the future still, seeing that there are quite a few more pressing matters to be addressed in the game. Hopefully this thread will still be able to give Toady some fresh ideas when thinking about the future of the game. Dwarf Fortress is after all the only game I can think of that could implement this idea – as the framework for it is mostly in place already.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 03:56:10 am by Joutilas »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Perversion
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 03:49:16 am »

While sexual perversion seems a bit over the edge, this would make a good bloat.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:51:59 am »

A great idea, but I agree it should be a bloat at best. Although, I think there already are bloats (or Reqs?) for invisible personality traits.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 05:54:53 am »

Is bloat the same thing as filler material? Fluff?
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 06:21:54 am »

Bloat means things that are cool and might get implemented, but aren't considered necessary for the game to be complete.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:32:14 am »

Ah, makes sense. Fun!

I'd suggest the sadist kills less and wounds more, and grievous wounds at that. We also need a pyromaniac. "Waitasec, I didn't tell anyone to mine. The heck is that guy doing near that warm wall WAITNOAAAAGH EVERYONE OFF THAT LEVEL!" And thus, you lose 1/5th of all your workshops.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 07:09:19 am »

I like the idea!
But for moral reason I would kill off any fanatical Inqusition...

don't ask...

Joutilas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 09:31:03 am »

Yeah, this is definately not a thing that needs to be implemented tomorrow, there are quite a few more pressing issues to be fixed before that ;)

Just a part of how I envision the endgame being: you are less and less in charge of day to day operations, delegating more of those responsibilities to various managers, leaders and guildmasters. It would be more about shaping the society itself - what is unique about this fortress, where do they put more resources?

And of course stepping in when you start reaping the rewards (half of my dwarves have been revealed revealed as a part of demonic cult, oh-noes!)

I just find the thought very intriguing - instead of micromanaging 300 dwarfs, you're actually guiding the culture of the fortress with indirect actions. It'd definately add in some flavour to mature fortress, and would prevent the usual simcity syndrome (once your city is running well enough, you're just sitting there and waiting for a massive disaster).

Funnily enough, Dwarf Fortress is pretty much the only game that comes to my mind where such is possible - and this is only due to the clever way that Toady has built the framework for the game (hats off to that!).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 10:33:23 am »

So basically you want to see more diverse personalities in the game. Perversions...sounds interesting, and since this would lead to some epic moments, I like the idea.  ;D

ACE91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SECTOR91 Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 03:10:19 pm »

I like the idea of this, sort of. The "perversions" thing is a little over the top, but the idea of dwarves who steal/vandalize/form cults/etc. if they aren't kept busy could work very well. It means that, once your fort gets over 100 dwarves or so and you can't micromanage everybody anymore, some of your dwarves "go bad" and you have to figure out how to stop them, or else your fort will start to fall apart. This would give the dwarven justice system more of a purpose: currently, unless you have a tantrum spiral, the Fortress Guard and the jail aren't much use.

I would like to make it work like this: you can either keep the "bad" dwarves busy to keep them from committing crimes, or you can sic the Fortress Guard on them and have them jailed. The Fortress Guard won't catch these miscreants on its own, so you can either implement a system where you can "mark" dwarves to be arrested (which means you'll have to constantly watch the spots that are being vandalized/stolen from to see if the perpetrator shows up again), or you can station the Fortress Guard at certain locations and have them watch for criminals.
ACE91, Programmer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
because there's only one reality.
Says who?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 04:44:03 pm »

Not being able to see such traits just sounds irritating

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 05:44:41 pm »

I don't know, the perversion could have it's own place... Think about it: Urist McKinky was getting a little to friendly with his hands and the Elven Maidens backside. The elves are outraged, and demand McKinky's head on a spike or there will be much dwarven blood spilled. McKinky being the Fort's greatest Marksdwarf tells them were to stick their opinions.

Now 500 years after the "Insult at Fort Divine Wells" the war of the Dwarves and Elves continues to rage.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 06:07:55 pm »

So long as that plan includes Urist McKinky being quicky yet quietly castrated with great smacking noises by the hammerer-

I see nothing wrong with a five-hundred year war of dwarves versus elves.

Yeah, you thought the worst the hammerer would do was just give your legendary craftsdwarf a headache and fainting spells for the rest of his life, huh? Once this goes into effect, Mr. Hammerer and Mr. S. Deviant are going to have words. Mainly "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" with no comeback from the noble. He let's his hammer do the talking.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 08:57:08 pm »

I like the idea. Sounds quite easy to implement too. That pervesion thing was awesome in the Total War games. It was quite fun(ny) having an angry, drunk, gay commander lie siege and enslave an entire town in Rome: TW. It was also fun trying to assassinate off some of my commanders and kings because they were ruining the entire town with their insanity. I had a King Leopold the Mad with 0 authority collapse my entire empire into civil war. After that game, I secretly tried to assassinate the heirs who looked like they'd make bad leaders.

With something like DF, I'd like to see how that'll go. It'll should be as common as artifacts :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 09:17:12 pm »

I find this idea intriguing, and support it wholeheartedly.

I suggest that such 'interesting' personality traits be spawned by certain combinations of existing, and perhaps expanded, visible traits, so that those who would bother to look them up on a chart could find out just where all the half-elves are coming from; those more interested in being surprised could just not pay any attention, and the more investigative-ly minded could carefully examine their dwarve's behavior and pore over profiles, carefully considering the effects of all those little traits.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.
Pages: [1] 2 3