Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Advice for a Sparta-like DF  (Read 4458 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a Sparta-like DF
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 02:23:24 pm »

Uhh, didn't the Spartans use mostly iron for their equipment? 

Nop, many Spartans were wearing leather cuirasses made of hardened leather.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 11:49:35 pm »

Although they certainly had iron. In fact I believe the Dorians were the people that introduced Iron-working to Greece, although by the time of Thermopylae iron equipment was pretty common for all Greeks.

Other things you might like to think about:
 - "Sparta" was actually a number of separate villages in fairly close proximity to each other. Most of these villages were within a common fortification (Not a very impressive one). Some weren't.

- Spartans don't believe in decoration. No smoothing or engraving.

- Spartans had two kings at any one time.

- (NOT SURE ABOUT THIS) Spartan coins are made of iron, deliberately to discourage commerce by forcing you to carry an impractical weight of metal around.

- Spartans, the movie to the contrary, wear a lot of armour.

-Most of the Spartans' food came from farming. That's what helots are for.

-"Spartan" actually means "rope-maker". I don't know if this is a reference to their policy of enslaving their neighbours or if it refers to a historical industry.

-[CENSORED]

-[EVEN MORE CENSORED]

-Spartans lose battles rather a lot. They tended to be rather unimaginative with their tactics and their [CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED] kept their actual warrior population small.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 03:10:47 am »

Ah yes, but it also helped them keep very tight formations.

And how do you make a spearhead out of leather?  Besides being a dwarf, of course...

Kinda funny that the Spartans get all the pop culture credit for being awesome warriors when the Athenians trounced them multiple times during their own warlike period.

Also kinda funny to watch 300 and think about how all those Spartan warriors got buggered before they were twelve.  Kinda gives a new aspect to stern ol' Leonidas.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 05:38:35 am »

-[CENSORED]

-[EVEN MORE CENSORED]

-Spartans lose battles rather a lot. They tended to be rather unimaginative with their tactics and their [CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED] kept their actual warrior population small.

Um, its 2008. Homosexuality isn't taboo anymore. I think we are all mature enough to talk about these things here... Though I could be wrong.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 05:46:23 am »

I would submit the children to this as well.

This might be tricky. I don't think there's any easy way to get a child to go where you want them.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 07:58:57 pm »

-[CENSORED]

-[EVEN MORE CENSORED]

Um, its 2008. Homosexuality isn't taboo anymore. I think we are all mature enough to talk about these things here... Though I could be wrong.

Oh right....I was like "what the hell is he censoring?"

And yeah. Contrary to what 300 would tell you, the Spartans engaged in every bit as much anal sex with little boys as other Greeks, if not more.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 08:07:56 pm »

Eh, the homosexuality doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. It was just a cultural thing.

Anyway, who here has heard of Iphicrates? He led a reform of some hoplites, gave them long spears, light armor, and light shields, and then casually went out and raped 500 or so spartans by running in circles around them and out-reaching them.

And then, he went and lied to his enemies and his own soldiers and some civilians and islanders and killed some people and stole stuff and run on sentence and scared the shit out of some other army and got his feats recorded by some Greek historian and then etc.

Awesome. Pure awesome. Iphicrates makes up for the gay thing.

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 08:37:33 pm »

-
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 10:05:17 pm »

Iphicrates, inventor of the circle strafe.

(Oh, and the murdering of the farmers and initiation rites. That could be implemented too. I mean, you already kill the immigrants if you're 50% of this forum.)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 06:10:17 am »

I censored myself because I had a group of goblin Korean schoolchildren looking over my shoulder as I was writing.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 04:02:38 pm »

^ is racist and Spartans were men lovers. USE CAPS TO SET THREAD CRUISE CONTROL. IT CRUISES TO THE END OF ALL PAGES.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 08:07:44 pm »

I had an idea to make a DF that survived primarily if not exclusively from hunting the wildlife

This won't work. Wildlife completly disappears after a period. [IE: If you kill the creatures on the map, the creatures won't repopulate the map again.]
Thankfully, Toady is going to fix/upgrade this system. It's on the dev next page even.  8)

I certainly won't mind when this happens. Then i can see about figuring out a blood-drinking mod. BRÜTAL FORTRESS.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2008, 04:04:44 pm »

I had an idea to make a DF that survived primarily if not exclusively from hunting the wildlife

This won't work. Wildlife completly disappears after a period. [IE: If you kill the creatures on the map, the creatures won't repopulate the map again.]
Thankfully, Toady is going to fix/upgrade this system. It's on the dev next page even.  8)

I certainly won't mind when this happens. Then i can see about figuring out a blood-drinking mod. BRÜTAL FORTRESS.

I don't think this is how it works... is it? from what I have seen and heard on this forum there are indeed issues with the creatures not respawning but I have never had it myself. I have made several very successful hunting fortresses and the creatures repopulated most of the time.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2008, 04:52:47 pm »

Eh, the homosexuality doesn't bother me as much as it probably should. It was just a cultural thing.

Also totally baffling from an evolutionary psychological standpoint, AFAICT.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 04:57:25 pm »

Also totally baffling from an evolutionary psychological standpoint, AFAICT.
But not from a social standpoint, considering that Greeks tended to think that women were so unintelligent they might as well be animals. Sexism was so rife in their culture that homosexuality was seen as the only way to have a proper romantic relationship.
Pages: 1 [2] 3