Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Advice for a Sparta-like DF  (Read 4474 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advice for a Sparta-like DF
« on: October 09, 2008, 12:22:11 am »

I had an idea to make a DF that survived primarily if not exclusively from hunting the wildlife, and drinking no booze but only the nearby water (which would eliminate any need for farming whatsoever). I wanted to have every single immigrant tested for combat prowess as soon as they arrived by having them get into cage fights with various wild life, and if they survived they would be trained to fight and hunt. I would submit the children to this as well.

It feels like its missing something though, and this community has always been helpful for spurring the creative process in the past; so, does anyone have any ideas or advice?

-edit; also, if there is a red line next to the Goblins, under the civs that will be neighboring you, does that mean they won't come?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:30:01 am by ColonelTEE3 »
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for a Sparta-like DF
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 12:39:04 am »

>no booze

ENJOY YOUR ETERNALLY HUNGOVER DWARVES.

ALSO, THE RED LINE MEANS THAT THEY WILL COME. RED LINE MEANS WAR.
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 12:42:35 am »

Red line=/=war. its like... some kind of semi war state. They still come, but they come in greater numbers when at war.
Magma is overrated.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 04:01:20 am »

i think you will get problems with hunting, i got two hunters in [40d] but after only 4 years there wasnt any wildlife any more... and i am now at year 14 and still i dont see any wildlife except some vermins.

btw: spartalike? that means you have to dump every upper body cloth/armor from your dwarfs and give them shield ^^
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:22:47 am »

Also, you should kill the alcohol dependent tags.
Oh, and the sparta still drink booze

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 07:27:22 am »

Also, you'll need to increase the default pop cap by 50%

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 07:33:03 am »

You'll need a large circular chasm you can kick trade liaisons into.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 07:40:47 am »

THIS IS SPARTA! :>
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 08:29:16 am »

for the wildlife i suggest you make a world with big regions (if you lower the region number i think it will work) so you get bigger regions -> more wildlife in each, and then make fortress in the border of two regions for have even better effect.
for the bose i think spartans never drinked mashrume based alcohol so you will need some above ground farm (preferable outside an above ground city with walls)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 08:38:10 am »

need some above ground farm (preferable outside an above ground city with walls)

Sparta didn't have walls. It didn't have walls until after the Romans conquered it.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Balor Kartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 09:10:11 am »

btw: spartalike? that means you have to dump every upper body cloth/armor from your dwarfs and give them shield ^^

Lets not base everything on a historically inaccurate movie. Instead lets only produce bronze items, make all of the dwarves spearmen, with minor training with short swords. If a dwarf drops/looses a shield/spear have them executed in the most humiliating manor

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 10:51:17 am »

Uhh, didn't the Spartans use mostly iron for their equipment?  They certainly had enough of it.  Tin for bronze was much harder to get, the only reason nobody used iron for war was because they didn't know how to strengthen it.  the Spartans did.

Hell, they even used it for money.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 12:04:48 pm »

That would be so EPIC. Build the fort around the bottomless pit and then build scaffolding all around the side of the pit so all the sides are smoothed all the way down.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 01:52:22 pm »

sparta had a large class of people who performed menial labor called 'helots.'

so you need to segregate your dwarven community into laborers and soldiers, with soldiers never doing anything but sparring and training for war.

wait a minute....

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 02:18:27 pm »

I had an idea to make a DF that survived primarily if not exclusively from hunting the wildlife

This won't work. Wildlife completly disappears after a period. [IE: If you kill the creatures on the map, the creatures won't repopulate the map again.]
Thankfully, Toady is going to fix/upgrade this system. It's on the dev next page even.  8)
Pages: [1] 2 3