Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 465150 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #300 on: May 04, 2010, 01:36:19 am »

So the listed tactics still apply for 31.x? I mean, is it still possible to get mermens' bones through butchering?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #301 on: May 04, 2010, 08:31:09 am »

So the listed tactics still apply for 31.x? I mean, is it still possible to get mermens' bones through butchering?
It does not seem to be possible in 31.03.  When animals rot in 31.03, they leave skeletons behind, which then need to be butchered to be made into useable bones.  Mermaid skeletons can't be butchered.  This is probably a bug, possibly related to how remains never rot away completely, so it may be fixed in the future.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 04, 2010, 09:36:48 am »

Jeeze, I read the subject line and expected this thread to be about heroin...

...hmm... *gets an idea about modding certain 'poisons' into game*

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 04, 2010, 11:41:22 am »

It does not seem to be possible in 31.03.  When animals rot in 31.03, they leave skeletons behind, which then need to be butchered to be made into useable bones.  Mermaid skeletons can't be butchered.  This is probably a bug, possibly related to how remains never rot away completely, so it may be fixed in the future.
But worse than that, based on the raws, it appears their bones are no longer unusually valuable.
Akur Akir Akam!

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 04, 2010, 11:55:03 am »

Unicorn bones on the other hand are still absurdly valuable. The butchering thing is because you cant butcher sapeants, even dead ones
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 04, 2010, 11:57:13 am »

"sapeant"? Is that a child treeant?   ::)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 04, 2010, 12:45:31 pm »

On the plus side, in DF2010 unicorns can breed, at least in theory.  It may require you to have a Dungeon Master show up first, and that may be bugged.  Once you have him, a unicorn breeding industry is a lot easier to set up than mermaids, and you can butcher unicorns for the full range of animal products.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dudemauler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 04, 2010, 01:38:43 pm »

Which makes me want to edit the raws to make them butcherable.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.
Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 04, 2010, 01:42:59 pm »

Ehh, I think I'll keep making Mermaid-Death-Traps, even if just for nostalgia's sake.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 04, 2010, 02:45:14 pm »

Has anyone actually gotten this to work or are we still doing theory crafting?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2010, 02:52:59 pm »

Has anyone actually gotten this to work or are we still doing theory crafting?
I have a 40d fortress with half a dozen or so mermaids/mermen in a water-filled enclosure.  I haven't run it long enough since then for them to reproduce, or worked out a way to selectively air-drown the children (Cancels farm mermaids:  interrupted by DF2010).  My current DF2010 fortress has a small herd of unicorns in captivity, but they aren't reproducing as I don't have a dungeon master yet.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 05, 2010, 01:19:44 am »

Good thing I wasn't planning on butchering them. Once I manage to catch a few, I'm going to make a half-submerged merfolk village where the dorfs can come and watch.

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 29, 2010, 02:06:17 pm »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 02, 2010, 01:31:59 am »

Le what?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 19, 2010, 05:41:35 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:20:34 pm by Bronimin »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28