Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 465269 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #270 on: March 25, 2010, 09:01:34 pm »

There's the one from the third page...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 25, 2010, 09:13:07 pm »

Hmm, I should have figured someone would have posted one. It took me a few days to read through the thread, I forgot about this. This is perfect, thanks for pointing it out anyways.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 25, 2010, 09:13:50 pm »

ubash latish ungaro togayto

Epic necro is epic
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 25, 2010, 09:17:45 pm »

Last post before mine was only a month ago, hardly 'epic'.

Anyways, this is a thread that will never die - if I hadn't bumped it, someone else would have sooner or later. It's even linked on the wiki page for merpeople, for Armok's sake.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 25, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »

Regardless, every time I see this thread revived it makes my day. Oh how we the community enjoy enslaving and brutally torturing merfolk so.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2010, 01:53:43 pm »

Is this embark actually known to contain mermaids?  I've had a fortress running there for most of a year now, and I've only seen vermin in the water.  The main wildlife seems to be foxes, deer, and wolves, most of them skeletal.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

jellow belly

• Bay Watcher
  • deserter prinny
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2010, 02:19:27 pm »

I have a question (probably already asked though)
do cages prevent air drowning?
because if they do, breeding marine life could be very profitable
The reward you get for digging holes is a bigger shovel.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2010, 02:32:48 pm »

I have a question (probably already asked though)
do cages prevent air drowning?
because if they do, breeding marine life could be very profitable
Cages are pretty much suspended animation cells.  Animals don't drown or air-drown in them.  Unfortunately they don't get pregnant either, although already pregnant animals will give birth in cages, so you need to let them out to breed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 26, 2010, 02:44:39 pm »

Is this embark actually known to contain mermaids?  I've had a fortress running there for most of a year now, and I've only seen vermin in the water.  The main wildlife seems to be foxes, deer, and wolves, most of them skeletal.

I don't believe I've actually embarked there, but new creatures won't migrate onto the map until you capture or kill the old ones. (Or they migrate off.)

Alternately, you can just regen the world, copy the pre-embark save, and embark repeatedly until you get one where mermaids start out present on the map.  I'm fairly certain that the creatures that appear at embark are randomized at the time of embarking, not on worldgen, so you can just embark, look for mermaids, and abandon and delete the save, copy the pre-embark save again, and try again until you get mermaids.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 26, 2010, 02:46:03 pm »

Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing. Supposedly mermaids appear on good territories, so the terrifying biome next door might be driving them out. And I'm starting to get annoyed by skeletal foxes chasing my dwarfs all over the map, I'll have to exterminate them.

Still, it'll do as a test case. The nearby magma and shallow ocean will make my trap simpler to set up; I've already made base camp in the land nearby and have my obsidian above-water fortress planned out. If this works for the fish in the ocean, it may work for mermaids as well. I'll be sure to post plans when it's complete.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
« Reply #280 on: March 26, 2010, 04:14:03 pm »

I've also been trying it out at this location. But I don't have any terrifying creatures. Though I did embark on a spot with a larger ocean space than land space.

Aren't mermaids hidden untill seen bay a dwarf or a pet? They might be out ther in the ocean water, but just not discovered yet. If so how would I go about spotting them? Should I build a path of floors all over the ocean, or should I train some dwarvs for exploratory swimming? Can dwarvs see down into water? Maybe randomly dropping pets into the ocean would get them spotted?

Using kittens as oceanic probes sounds like good plan.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:16:50 pm by Redhades »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 26, 2010, 04:58:44 pm »

Aren't mermaids hidden untill seen bay a dwarf or a pet?
I'm pretty sure that they're not.  They don't have [AMBUSHPREDATOR] which I think is the tag that does that for non-civ creatures.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 26, 2010, 05:10:09 pm »

They do have [UNDERSWIM]. See the wiki.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 26, 2010, 05:15:41 pm »

Most water-breathing creatures have [UNDERSWIM], but that doesn't seem to make them invisible or not show up on the units screen.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 26, 2010, 05:29:27 pm »

so cage them, drain the area and drag them to an aquarium that has bridges with fine glass so the children can see the lovely enslaved egg layers.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28