Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 465446 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #240 on: December 03, 2009, 06:28:46 am »

So, in short, all we need to do is up the Sea Monster population count to 50?

May I ask - did anyone seen that Sea Monster thingy at least once? If yes, how much damage it done? Ruined fortress? Got impaled with first -cat bone bolt-?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 03, 2009, 11:55:17 am »

On the topic of asking, has anyone ever seen a merperson in-game? Do they start obscured? What is in their description?

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2009, 11:45:03 pm »

I have an idea for harvesting the mermaids after they've been captured, but it would probably only work if you can designate targets... You'd simply put them all in a pool of any mermaid-sufficient depth, with a ledge one Z-level above it from which you can have your marksdwarves target the children. Then, you can use a freedom lure (open a temporary clear path to the outside) or some other means to move the remaining mermaids out of the room, and then drain the room to collect the corpses/bones.

Also, I was wondering. What is it that prevents intelligent creatures from being butchered for tallow and meat? I'm assuming that as-is, you can't make mermaid soap...

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2009, 12:00:27 am »

On the topic of asking, has anyone ever seen a merperson in-game? Do they start obscured? What is in their description?

They do show up in-game, usually a couple layers under the water. My fort died of thirst before I could consider catching them, however.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 05, 2009, 05:31:36 am »

So I've got two mermen. The mermaid air-drowned before she wandered into a cage trap, though. Merpeople can be transported easily once caught - they're surviving just fine in wooden cages in the middle of my horrifyingly messy stockpile. Here's my oversized screenshot showcasing this along with my ugly fortress design. I didn't initially intend for this fortress to last longer than it took me to catch some mermaids and play with some fluids.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have a really nice ocean for catching Merpeople - there's a little separate ocean pool right next to the main thing in a perfect little funnel shape. If they happen to spawn in there, there's no way for them to get out the side of the map, and little chance of being beached by the waves. Another big shot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

keith.lamothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 09, 2009, 10:17:58 pm »

Randy Gnoman cancels Count Profits: Interrupted by HydraCarp
Randy Gnoman has been struck down by Ninefish the Vengeance of Waves

(and the other dwarves scramble to check the market demand for HydraCarp bones)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 09, 2009, 11:05:33 pm »

So, in short, all we need to do is up the Sea Monster population count to 50?

May I ask - did anyone seen that Sea Monster thingy at least once? If yes, how much damage it done? Ruined fortress? Got impaled with first -cat bone bolt-?

I remember when I first discovered sea monsters. Since then, I elevated them to size 140 and gave them the biome [ANY_LAND] with clustersize 4-8. They utterly ravage passing traders.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Quixim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2009, 04:23:02 am »

... I registered an account for the express purpose of posting in this thread. I've played Dwarf Fortress a few times, and am preparing to download it when I arrive at my proper computer, and have been skimming through the wiki and reading a few topics to try to orient myself a bit. I am still marginally terrified, and I am sure lots of fun will be had.

I fully endorse the mermaidapault in any and all applications (such as flinging them up to a large cup on a pillar to catch them in, which can then be flushed down into the fortress by a comically oversized toilet lever).

However, once the delicious merpeople are captured, I believe that the easiest way to harvest their infants is to chain them up inside a pressurized stream or river in your fortress. Once the babies are born, they will be carried downstream to cage traps, transported happily to the rotting fields, and then released to flop around a bit before they finally die. Perhaps. Thusly, the merbabies would be immediately delivered to wherever you could want them courtesy of the 'river', while the merstud and his mercubines happily fornicate in the rapids to ease the grief of watching their children's many skulls adorn the walls of the underground city they are captive in.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 25, 2009, 05:30:58 am »

Welcome to the forums. I think you'll fit in perfectly.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 25, 2009, 09:06:20 am »

Dear god, its brilliant!

For extra points, make the merbabies drop 10 z levels to splat satisfyingly on the "Rough Merperson Floor"

fizmat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 25, 2009, 12:38:29 pm »

I fully endorse the mermaidapault in any and all applications.

The main problems with a mermaidapult are:
1) It can't fling creatures up z-levels, only items. So you can't fling them out of the river easily.
2) We can't control the direction, it flings randomly.
I'm not saying it's impossible to use a bridge in the process, just not the way you would use it in real life.

As for merefarm-in-a-river, pressurized water doesn't push creatures/items, only diffusing water does.

I am trying to catch some mermaids now, but I just embarked and can only see 2 whales. Oh, well, as a first try that'll do. Also finding a site with magma (for easier in-sea building) and a river (for a farm like you proposed) on a shore(which can't be entered into the site finder) would've taken some time. Just magma on a shore is easy.

--Edit: If we drop merepeeps down a lot z-levels so they explode we get more bones, right?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 12:53:01 pm by fizmat »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 25, 2009, 12:58:23 pm »

I fully endorse the mermaidapault in any and all applications.

The main problems with a mermaidapult are:
1) It can't fling creatures up z-levels, only items. So you can't fling them out of the river easily.
2) We can't control the direction, it flings randomly.
I'm not saying it's impossible to use a bridge in the process, just not the way you would use it in real life.

As for merefarm-in-a-river, pressurized water doesn't push creatures/items, only diffusing water does.

I am trying to catch some mermaids now, but I just embarked and can only see 2 whales. Oh, well, as a first try that'll do. Also finding a site with magma (for easier in-sea building) and a river (for a farm like you proposed) on a shore(which can't be entered into the site finder) would've taken some time. Just magma on a shore is easy.

--Edit: If we drop merepeeps down a lot z-levels so they explode we get more bones, right?

Considering that's all you can harvest from them due to [can_speak] it makes sense...

Incidentally, this way the merbabies get to experience a wide variety of environments. First the water, then air, then finally land. You can't say their existences were futile and hopeless now!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

fizmat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 26, 2009, 04:02:05 pm »

Code: [Select]
Outdoor Animal Populations (Including Undead)
42510 merpeople
Ok, there's a big bunch of precious bone containers floating merrily somewhere in my world. Problem is, I don't see any. Is it possible they're in another ocean, not the one I embarked onto? Building a catching system to get only whales when it's finished is not very fun. Maybe i should've genned a world with just one ocean to be sure they're in my biome... Alternatively, they have "UNDERSWIM", so perhaps I just don't see them?

Anyway, breaching the aquifier and fighting thirst is fun enough for now. And yes, I haven't started a farm or dug under the aquifier yet, and it's already winter.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 29, 2009, 06:30:54 am »

This thread terrifies me in it's Dwarvenly-ness.

Clearly, this plan could only be created in a joint effort between Khorne, Armok, Morul, Ironblood, Cryptbrain, and whatever dwarf created Planepacked.

Good job.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 29, 2009, 06:38:51 am »

Merpeople should be visible on the map, dispite underswim. From my experience at least.

You need to embark on a good ocean (not lake) and possibly you will need a low amouth of savagery due to their 'benign' tag.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28