Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 465648 times)

rdeforest

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #225 on: November 08, 2009, 01:54:30 pm »

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 08, 2009, 11:20:30 pm »

Yeah, well, if cows had human faces, I might feel differently about that point.
I wouldn't, the only thing stopping me from harvesting and poaching my fellow man is the fact that they are
1:protected by law
2:Not good eating compared to other animals
3:too damn clever to easily catch.
4:good for sex provided the human is female

Essentially, if you people were all men and all of you and myself were on an uninhabited, lawless planet the first order of business would be to insert you in mah bellah.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 08, 2009, 11:50:52 pm »

Rather short-sighted. That'd be my third order of business at best, weeding out the incompetent/weak/psychotic folk for long pork. Before that, you work out what other resources you have, and what you can use to reach civilization. If civilization can be reached, do what you can to get there. If not, do what you can to make civilization. If either of those are impossible, then you go manhunting.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2009, 12:28:15 am »

No, if your on an uninhabited planet, there's nothing at your disposal except minerals and waiting for someone to answer your distress signal could take awhile. this said, killing all of them at once (minus necessary alliances that you could om-nom afterward) and salting the bodies would be the best course of action, the others probably wouldn't take kindly to your cannibalism to begin with.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2009, 05:36:15 am »

Haha, watch a "Sealab" issue where they find a stranded submarine.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Angellus

« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2009, 08:58:54 am »

You could have at least pretended you had something to add. ::)
True, true...

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 01, 2009, 08:03:00 am »

SO, I read through this thread and was wondering if any one has proven that mermaids do indeed breed. if they do it seems quite straightforward on how to catch them, as well as butcher them.

Build a straight shoreline where they seem most likely to be washed ashore, build a single row of pumps to get this shoreline emty. place traps beneath the shore, aswell as above it to be sure to catch any that enter. refill with water.

This should then allow you to catch them either into the submerged cages, or the shore-sided ones.

cages are then brought to the cage area and the mermaids chained into a 3/7 waterfilled room til the more permanent solution is done. Since they cannot be tamed (if they can that is awesome), there is a simple solution of how to separate the young from their mothers.

Imagine a 3x3x2 room. iIn the middle is a pillar with the chained mermaid. Around the pillar there are hatches connected to a lever. The room is filled with water. Once the lever is pulled the hatches open and the water aswell as the youngling is dropped to the room below. the lever is then pulled again and the chamber refilled. to avoid drowning you just make sure that there is a constant waterfall on the spot with the chained mermaid constantly, and thus a simple drain on the floor below to ensure that water is not flooding your fort. ideally a system that keeps the water at 3-4/7 at all times. this lower room is of course unescapable for you mermaid children, since they cannot leave the water. So there is no need to hurry, your hunters will get to them eventually...

This has the benefit of allowing your dwarves the spectacular experience of indoor mermaid hunting, where ridiculously valued game is hunted within an enclosed area for the benefit of the rich.

It also allows you to use the meat, skin and fat, and not only the bones.

and even better is that you could seal of the room to stop your hunters, and instead open a door leading to the sea to allow your youngsters to be led into a cage trap and brought to a separate room for later grooming.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2009, 09:01:41 am »

SO, I read through this thread and was wondering if any one has proven that mermaids do indeed breed. if they do it seems quite straightforward on how to catch them, as well as butcher them.

Build a straight shoreline where they seem most likely to be washed ashore, build a single row of pumps to get this shoreline emty. place traps beneath the shore, aswell as above it to be sure to catch any that enter. refill with water.

This should then allow you to catch them either into the submerged cages, or the shore-sided ones.

cages are then brought to the cage area and the mermaids chained into a 3/7 waterfilled room til the more permanent solution is done. Since they cannot be tamed (if they can that is awesome), there is a simple solution of how to separate the young from their mothers.

Imagine a 3x3x2 room. iIn the middle is a pillar with the chained mermaid. Around the pillar there are hatches connected to a lever. The room is filled with water. Once the lever is pulled the hatches open and the water aswell as the youngling is dropped to the room below. the lever is then pulled again and the chamber refilled. to avoid drowning you just make sure that there is a constant waterfall on the spot with the chained mermaid constantly, and thus a simple drain on the floor below to ensure that water is not flooding your fort. ideally a system that keeps the water at 3-4/7 at all times. this lower room is of course unescapable for you mermaid children, since they cannot leave the water. So there is no need to hurry, your hunters will get to them eventually...

This has the benefit of allowing your dwarves the spectacular experience of indoor mermaid hunting, where ridiculously valued game is hunted within an enclosed area for the benefit of the rich.

It also allows you to use the meat, skin and fat, and not only the bones.

and even better is that you could seal of the room to stop your hunters, and instead open a door leading to the sea to allow your youngsters to be led into a cage trap and brought to a separate room for later grooming.

To trap the mermaids initially, you could use something like the walrus trap in this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=45269.0
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2009, 09:11:58 am »

This thread is terrible and awesome.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2009, 09:38:44 am »

You mean amazingly dwarven.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 02, 2009, 02:59:52 am »

You mean amazingly dwarven.
That's what I said.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Default Settings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 02, 2009, 03:20:24 am »

I never would have expected to ask this question at one point in my life, but:

Do mermaid babies fall through grates or bars?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #237 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:52 am »

Babies don't fall through grates or bars, but children are a different size than adults, so in theory you could build some sort of sorting mechanism using pressure plates and hatches or doors.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2009, 12:04:12 am »

Don't the mermaids need to be kept in WATER anyway? ._.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2009, 02:14:31 am »

Wait. Population number? I don't remember what that one does offhand.

Also, yeah, I've never seen a sea monster, which is sad. And I suspect that DF merpeople are traditional mermaids, just like I strongly suspect certain HFS are basically balrogs.

It refers to how many critters are in the region as a whole.

Cluster number determines how many will 'spawn' on the map at a given time, Population number determines how many there are overall in a given biome. If i have a biome with 10 Rabbits in it, and there are 3 Rabbits on the map, when i kill those Rabbits the biome's population will drop to 7 rabbits. If i kill all the Rabbits, no more Rabbits will enter the map.

The populations also only breed in Worldgen, which is why long-running Fortresses can exhaust all the local wildlife.
So, in short, all we need to do is up the Sea Monster population count to 50?
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28