Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28

Author Topic: Chasing the elusive Mermaid  (Read 465650 times)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing the elusive Mermaid
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2009, 09:47:45 pm »

Well, I tried to generate a world in which there were good forests/shrub-lands co-existed with an ocean, but, alas, such a location seems to be rather difficult to come by. It's time to ditch the unicorn idea, and let the slaughtering commence!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Sparkles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2009, 04:19:58 pm »

How much are unicorn bones worth? Are they anything compared to mermaid bones?

One fifth as much as merfolk bones.  :(

You can't tame them because they don't have a pet tag. I don't know if [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK] creatures will breed properly.

Has anyone seen if merfolk will breed properly if kept in an indoor swimming/spawning pool? and if so, if the water is at 4/7, can they still breathe?

Moving water tends to move creatures inside of it. If you have a chasm, you can pour the water into it and strain out the mermaids. If not, you can either continually and slowly pump the water out, or make a large, multi-z-level room that you continually empty and when the bottom of it gets to 6/7, you refill. I'm not sure which would be more effective.

Again, anybody yet see if this is feasible, and if so, what structures are needed to "strain" out the finny moneysacks?

Really, won't you just need a room with chained up mermaids that has 4/7 water and a door leading to the airdrowning room for the babies? It doesn't really seem that hard. I might try mermaid farming.

This wouldn't work, because we'd have to mod them to be tamable and amphibious (or figure out underwater kennels), and then the "air-drown the baby moneysacks" plan wouldn't go as well. But if they are tamed, then you just tell your butcher to go after the younglings, and it's like any other meat industry: aka, boring and nondwarfy.

So from what I can gather from the thread currently is that, without modding, you'd need to funnel your merfolk out of the ocean, and into a concentration camp breeding pool, and then somehow separate out the children and extraneous males from the herd, either by airdrowning or some other devious means (preferably involving magma, aquifers, drawbridges, and forgotten levers).

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2009, 01:39:30 pm »

alright, my plan is to set up a good ol' concentration camp, get your merfolk in however, then have little pens made of floodgates that all go of with a levar pull.  Next, you thumb through and find a pen you'd like, pull the switch... and watch them plummet 10 z levels along with the water from the pen.  reset pen, let refill.  Scrape mersoup off the bottom.

Extra chunky.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2009, 03:47:29 pm »

The idea is to kill the babies while not even harming the females and the breeding males. It's a good plan but it would kill all the merpeople in one go, not allowing you to get a constant supply of their bones.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2009, 04:51:59 pm »

Which is why you let them mill about, then throw the switch to cut the area up into small pens, which you then decided individually what's what.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2009, 05:44:48 pm »

My thoughts on sea-critter catching.

Code: [Select]
Surface
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ <-Ocean
+++++++++
+.......+
+.......+
+.......+
+.......+
+%%%%%%%+ <- Draining Pumps to create current
█%%%%%%%█
█+++++++█ <- Off-Map Water Dump(prolly flanked by raised bridges)

Z-1
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
█XXXXXXX█ <- Floodgates
█≈≈≈≈≈≈≈█
█≈≈≈≈≈≈≈█
█≈≈≈≈≈≈≈█ <-Pump's draw from this to create current
█≈≈≈≈≈≈≈█
█████████
█████████
█████████

Z-2
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
█████████
█≈≈≈≈≈≈≈█ <- Containment Pond, keeps merfolk from air-drowning
█≈≈≈≈≈≈≈█
█≈≈≈≈≈≈≈X <- Floodgate to merperson processing
█≈≈≈≈≈≈≈█
█████████
█████████
█████████

Pumps create a current, while avoiding the direct-flow method's risk of useful goods/critters being flushed through grates or fortifications.

Once you get the merfolk into the containment area, you can open the 'gate and wait for them to exit into a flooded corridor, or (if you close the upper  floodgates)open it into an evaporation chamber and just dry the suckers.

Or, after sealing the upper gates, you could have it floored with hatches instead and drop them into a processing pool, or whatever you like.

The off-map water flow is contained by raised bridges(unless you can build in a hillside or the ilk, and use edge-fortifications to drain), as those can be built right up to the map edge, where constructed walls can't be.

00Elf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2009, 03:14:31 am »

I'm going to try a plan similar to this, only with giant eagles.

My plan is to build a giant stone sphere supported by pillars ten z-levels above the ground. After that it's just a simple matter of rigging up doors to levers and waiting for the eagles to fly in.

I'm not sure what I'll do with my eaglesphere, but it seems like the dwarfy thing to do.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2009, 09:08:02 am »

Collapse your eagle sphere to the ground while it's filled with eagles and baby eagles.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

00Elf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2009, 02:34:31 pm »

I wonder if I can tame hundreds of eagles.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2009, 07:07:41 pm »

you can, just don't plan to chain them if they ever get loose, your dwarves will just run around 10 z levels below them jumping trying to catch them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2009, 07:27:34 pm »

Wouldn't they just linger at the designated gathering zone like all other tames animals do?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2009, 07:42:23 pm »

hmm... maybe

I tend towards three z level meeting halls at times though

Perhaps if I closed the windows they'd go though the halls between them, though.

MasterBlaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2009, 12:49:42 am »

What would happen if you chained several eagles to a block and destroyed the supports? Could they fly away with it?

Sparkles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2009, 01:43:31 am »

What would happen if you chained several eagles to a block and destroyed the supports? Could they fly away with it?

Eagle-powered airship.

That is all.

MasterBlaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2009, 01:48:35 am »

Eagle-powered airship.

That is all.
My god what have i done?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28