Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Humorous learning expieriences?  (Read 2829 times)

Esgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Humorous learning expieriences?
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:02:27 pm »

Now, I'm sure that everyone has had fun learning expieriences in this game. Build supports, make defenses, don't undersestimate the terror that is elephant, etc.

I just learned that diagonal warm walls (and presumably damp ones as well) are not safe, and just turned the top floor of my fortress into a magma playground. Five of my seven dwarves died trapped in their rooms (4 from the heat, one from blood loss), with two now trapped below, the only stairwell flooded with magma.

So what're your stories?

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Humorous learning expieriences?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:18:44 pm »

It turns out grates don't support things. See, I was building a meeting room over a chasm with a waterfall going through it. I mass-designated some floors next to some grates, and while I was busy watching the miners dig out the tunnels for the water to flow through, suddenly... "A section of the cavern has collapsed!".

This was with my original seven, and the resulting dust cloud pulled down my mason and idle carpenter/woodcutter, along with my only axe. I had to make due with, like, 10 logs until the caravan came.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:31:38 am »

Pumps pressurize magma. I thought magma was always clunky and didn't flow up. Lost my mason/engraver that smoothed the very channel the magma spilled out of. I locked everyone inside and managed to pull the lever to stop the pump, but the lava took like a season to evaporate, and the elven caravan went berserk just before they reached the edge of the map. My some 8 dwarfs spent forever running the dropped items from the edge of the map to my fortress.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 08:34:36 am »

Bridges stop catapulted stones.  I had a brilliant defense set up whereby I channeled all the goblins into one area in front of my fortress, then pulled two levers to trap them there in front of my catapults.  Except, I built raised bridges instead of retracting ones, so they very effectively protected my enemies against the best efforts of my siege operators... who then got interrupted by the trapped goblins and ran away.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 11:42:13 am »

Dragons destroy doors and buildings.

The story writes itself at that point.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 12:33:27 pm »

Damp ice is not safe to mine.  I have no idea why I thought it would be, but there was a corpse's worth of steel armor frozen in the damp tile, and next thing I knew, one of my original seven "has been encased in ice!"
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 12:36:31 pm »

Digging out rooms with no roofs via ramps still causes cave-ins if a tree is present. Lost my last guy to that after the other 6 were either killed by fire imps or burned up in the forest fire they created.

juanoleso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 05:32:11 pm »

When I think back, figuring out how to deal with rock ended up being pretty funny.  I remember designating huge rock stockpiles outside all over the place.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 11:08:58 am »

Though dwarves apparently cannot walk over it, the well does not in fact act as a wall. This is a particularly important consideration when your well is on the same z-level as the reservoir.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:17:37 am »

Pressure exists in water in this game.  Most games with water politely ignore pressure.

My well was active and I decided that I was fine with it, and promptly began ignoring it.  However, the well was fed from a lake on the surface.  (My brain didn't work, sue me) and a bit later I started getting "Urist cancels drink: Dangerous terrain".  What?  Half my fort was flooded!  Fun times.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 07:15:43 pm »

A ballista will hurt your dwarves.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »

The only way to make a brook go down a level is by sacrificing a miner to make a ramp below the brook.

I killed my starting miners, and destroyed my animal farm...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 07:35:53 pm »

You can't bring titan cages to the depot.

Also, if one of your dwarves gets thrown and lands on a workshop tile that's inaccessible, it'll just rot there. Sometimes, wounded dwarves will keep yelling about things that are gone, too.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:41:58 pm by inaluct »

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 08:14:16 pm »

What's with the massive alert spamming going on there? You let a titan loose in the hospital?

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 08:16:14 pm »

Ye gods. 1746 interrupts?!
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!
Pages: [1] 2