Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Creating dwarves?  (Read 2189 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 12:38:08 am »

If you remove the [CHILD:?] tag and the [BABY:?] tag from dwarves than dwarven children will be born as full adults.
No. If there is no child tag then the species will be sterile
What he said.

I've tried removing and making the child and baby tags 0, but everything I did was make my dwarves never have kids. The other problem is that dwarves (any animal, actually) can only have up to 10 children at a time. This causes problems, since I would otherwise just have 50 dwarves be born at a time or something.

Oh, oops. I am pretty sure that I knew that, but that was a long night when I posted that. But I didn't know that you could only have ten children to a creature. Question: Do you know if that is ten, total, or ten at once?
I'm quite sure (almost positive) that it's 10 at a time, since I think I've had dogs give birth to a few litters.

The littersize tag only controls how many babies the creature has, I don't think there is any actual limit of babies per creature.

The big advantage of this is that I make my dogs between 2 and 10 babies at a time, so as long 2 war dogs survive a battle they can repopulate.

Unfortunately dwarves don't seem to share a dogs enthusiasm for having babies...
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 02:11:36 pm »

Your "10 child limit" is controlled by the init file.  Check the baby cap.  You set the child limit as the lesser of X% of your total population or Y babies.  By default (X=1000,y=100), your initial 7 can have no more than 70 children, provided none of those children have grown up yet.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 04:43:37 pm »

We used to cheat at Temple of Aphshai (sp?) by buying .5 arrows. Since the number of arrows never equaled zero we had an infinite amount. Could you set baby to .1 or -1 perhaps?
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 05:49:50 pm »

We used to cheat at Temple of Aphshai (sp?) by buying .5 arrows. Since the number of arrows never equaled zero we had an infinite amount. Could you set baby to .1 or -1 perhaps?
I tried .1, and from what I remember it crashed.

I'll experiment again though, and with -1, since something may have changed. Thanks.

Your "10 child limit" is controlled by the init file.  Check the baby cap.  You set the child limit as the lesser of X% of your total population or Y babies.  By default (X=1000,y=100), your initial 7 can have no more than 70 children, provided none of those children have grown up yet.
You read my post wrong, or I was unclear.

A dwarven mother may give birth to less than or equal to 10 babies at one moment in time. She may end up with 20 babies, but the limit to the littersize per birth is 10.

And since dwarves don't have sex much, the fastest I can make the repopulate is still very slow.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:52:19 pm by Slappy Moose »
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 06:30:44 pm »

Fair enough.

And you say tame animals don't have the same litter size limit?  IIRC I once had a litter of 11-15 creatures way back in 2D when I first screwed around with LITTERSIZE, but that was a tame creature, not a dwarf.  It may've only been 10, but I think it was more than that.

I don't see why it wouldn't work the same way for dwarves, though, unless the init setting prevents a larger number "just in case."  Perhaps, to guarantee you have no more than 1000% as many children as adults, it restricts adults to 10.00 x 1 = 10 children in one litter.  Try raising that percentile limit in init.txt to 10000 (since the absolute limit of 100 means you'll see no actual change, given a sufficiently populous fort).

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

I think the same limit is in place for animals, since I have tried more than 10 and nothing has happened.

But then again, I haven't experimented with the variables recently, so I could be wrong.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 10:44:56 pm »

And since dwarves don't have sex much, the fastest I can make the repopulate is still very slow.
Edit the RAW.

Add [BARRY_WHITE:YES] right after the missionary position settings.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2]