Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creating dwarves?  (Read 2194 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating dwarves?
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:53:07 pm »

Recently, I have had a desire to screw around with vast amounts of dwarven wrestlers and builders.

I have one main question: Is it possible to, in any way at all, create a dwarf during gameplay that will act like a normal dwarf.

I have tried making dwarves count as pets and then smelting them, but when I did, they were stuck on the smelter, and when I removed the smelter they were uncontrollable, and just wandered about.

My friend supposedly has a friend who found a way to brew plump helmets into dwarves, but the friend has been away so my friend can't ask him.

Now, I have been thinking of making an animal called "Dwarf Pod" that, when killed, drops like 50 dwarves or something. Anybody know if I could do this?

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to create dwarves ingame?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:56:36 pm by Slappy Moose »
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Re: Creating dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:04:06 pm »

a friend who found a way to brew plump helmets into dwarves
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:39:45 pm »

You could give them a childhood of one year and a large litter size.  That could give you a fairly high population in a relatively short period.

Brewing plump helmets into dwarves would require editing the still reactions, I think.  I know of no way to get multiple items from a single animal's corpse, and I'm not sure if it's possible to get live creatures, except maybe vermin.

That'd be an interesting way to get a phoenix variant...
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 09:18:54 pm »

My friend supposedly has a friend who found a way to brew plump helmets into dwarves, but the friend has been away so my friend can't ask him.
Hahahahahahahah.  Get a friend who won't lie to you.
Brewing products are always liquids, and always stored in barrels.  Dwarves they are not.
Beyond name, color, and price, they're hardcoded.

[DRINK:dwarven wine:5:0:0]
[DRINKVALUE:2]

In other words:

[DRINK:name:color]
[DRINKVALUE:price]
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 09:31:34 pm »

The ability to spontaneously generate dwarves has been attempted many, many, times.

There were no survivors.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 10:24:43 pm »

You could give them a childhood of one year and a large litter size.  That could give you a fairly high population in a relatively short period.
That's what I already have, but dwarves still take forever to get married, there is a maximum of 10 children at a time, and a full year is still a very long time to wait.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 12:22:25 am »

Currently the best way is to add the [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags to dwarves and set them to have a very low pet value. This means that when you embark you can 'buy' them. You then remove the aforementioned tags and the 'bought' dwarves will change from pets into peasants. This means that it is possible to start with a large amount of dwarves. Other than this, it is currently impossible to create dwarves as smelting/itemcorpse can only currently create vermin creatures or creatures that then act as vermin. This means that if you have a creature drop dwarves on its death or a reaction create them, they act as vermin, phasing in and out until your cat walks over and kills them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DigitalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 05:33:10 am »

Does the cat then become an enemy of the civilization for killing sentient beings?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 06:26:35 am »

Uh, how did you create the pets at a smelter?  Were they vermin?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 08:47:26 am »

Currently if you create a pet at the smelter or through itemcorpse with the [ITEMCORPSE:PET:NO_SUBTYPE:whatever animal:STANDARD], it will act as a vermin no matter what it is, as for the cat question, I don't actually know at the moment.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 06:49:39 pm »

Currently the best way is to add the [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tags to dwarves and set them to have a very low pet value.
Actually, the best way is to just use DTil, which is what I'm doing.

However, I don't want to just start with a bunch of dwarves, I need a supply of them. I want to have dwarven colliseums, huge dwarf wrestler/peasant armies, and the like.

However, killing nobles and peasants causes immigrants to stop coming, so I can't exactly do this. And children take a full year to age, and I can't make more than 10 be born at once.

Thus arises my predicament: I need to be able to clone dwarves in game.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 10:01:13 pm »

If you remove the [CHILD:?] tag and the [BABY:?] tag from dwarves than dwarven children will be born as full adults. The reason that I didn't think of Dtil was that I run on a mac, so pretty much none of the utilities work for me.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:53:34 pm »

No. If there is no child tag then the species will be sterile

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 08:55:07 pm »

If you remove the [CHILD:?] tag and the [BABY:?] tag from dwarves than dwarven children will be born as full adults.
What he said.

I've tried removing and making the child and baby tags 0, but everything I did was make my dwarves never have kids. The other problem is that dwarves (any animal, actually) can only have up to 10 children at a time. This causes problems, since I would otherwise just have 50 dwarves be born at a time or something.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 08:50:14 am »

If you remove the [CHILD:?] tag and the [BABY:?] tag from dwarves than dwarven children will be born as full adults.
What he said.

I've tried removing and making the child and baby tags 0, but everything I did was make my dwarves never have kids. The other problem is that dwarves (any animal, actually) can only have up to 10 children at a time. This causes problems, since I would otherwise just have 50 dwarves be born at a time or something.

Oh, oops. I am pretty sure that I knew that, but that was a long night when I posted that. But I didn't know that you could only have ten children to a creature. Question: Do you know if that is ten, total, or ten at once?
Pages: [1] 2