Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lets mod the most complex human [BODY] ever!  (Read 2579 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Lets mod the most complex human [BODY] ever!
« on: October 08, 2008, 12:32:39 pm »

So, if anyone else wants to lend a hand, I was thinking of doing something similar to this - but with human body parts.

I only made the ginormous body for dragons, and I didn't fully make use of the modular body system, but it would only require a little editing to change this for titans, hydras, and bronze colossi.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ideas? Etc?

The problem I run into is that I add torso and abdomen parts but people will live during world gen if they lose half their body.

EDIT: SO FAR - IF YOU WANT TO ADD ON GO AHEAD AND POST AT BOTTOM.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:59:54 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets mod the most complex human [BODY] ever!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 12:54:18 pm »

Can you subdivide the body only a few times, and add vital organs to each subdivision?

For example, the abdomen is often divided into four quadrants:
1. Upper Right: Contains most of the liver and Gallbladder
2. Upper Left: Contains most of stomach and spleen
3. Lower Left: Descending Colon (guts) maybe?
4. Lower Right: Appendix

Not sure if all these organs are in/can be put into DF, but I don't see why a somewhat more complex body couldn't still be vulnerable to fatal wounds in each part. The thorax could have individual lobes of lung instead of whole lung, if you want more than three parts. I'm sure it's doable.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 01:07:28 pm »

Well, we can have multiple [UPPERBODY] and [LOWERBODY] tags, though I'm sure if any of them are removed you will die.

Currently trying to figure out how feet and hands will work. I figure if I add a ribcage and tie organs to the skeleton like the dragon the guy did above, it'll be less likely for crit hits to take out all important internal organs at once, and make it harder to stab someone through the heart.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:18:27 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:09:06 pm »

Individual kidneys? Major veins and arteries? Lymph nodes? Every bone? Hair parts? Each tooth? Each nail for each finger? Each nostril of the nose?

Of course, this depends on how complex you want to make it. Every body part with a name? Every hair? Every cell?

To be fair, finding out cells 1254-7637 have been crushed would be intense.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 01:20:36 pm »

Individual kidneys? Major veins and arteries? Lymph nodes? Every bone? Hair parts? Each tooth? Each nail for each finger? Each nostril of the nose?

Of course, this depends on how complex you want to make it. Every body part with a name? Every hair? Every cell?

We might as well make it super intense and then people may remove stuff if they want ;D

I'm working on muscles now.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 01:26:27 pm »

Did no one read the awesomeness in the devlog?

Quote from: Toady
I've written up my body outline and started in on that. Due to the compat break, I'm starting with support for basic di/polymorphism for creatures and moving on to creature/plant material lists (including all of the extracts and whatever else). I've set aside three more days for this right now (and obviously more later, since I won't finish in three), but the order after mats is roughly: tissue layering, body part relationships (encasement, relative position, etc.) and sizes (and some new parts like teeth, claws/nails, lips, ribs, hair, etc.), improve the attribute system a bit, do appearance phenotype-like stuffs, size information, and then with that backing, get into wounds properly without having a simple placeholder first, then healing/scars (and thus better pain handling), and then descriptive paragraphs (not just for wounds but the rest too, which will further individualize everybody, hopefully in a satisfying way).

Look at all those parts.  Pity your mod will be completely useless once the next version comes out whenever.  But at least you'll get the chance to do it all over again - for every single creature!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 01:38:33 pm »

Did no one read the awesomeness in the devlog?
Look at all those parts.  Pity your mod will be completely useless once the next version comes out whenever.  But at least you'll get the chance to do it all over again - for every single creature!
I read it.

It gives me a reason to get a head start on these things, because I know Toady probably won't have the time to flesh out all the body parts as well as programming DF.

I should still be able to copy/paste over raws even though save compat is broken.

Layering muscles with skeletons now, then onto organs.

EDIT: I posted what I have so far in the original post. There's still lots to be done but I have other work to do.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:12:30 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 03:48:09 pm »

What Aquizzar's saying is that the body raw format will probably change drastically, making copy-pasting impossible.  You really might want to save yourself the trouble -- not only is there a good chance you'd have to redo it all, but the new features might make it much easier.

That said, this is INCREDIBLE stuff and I will probably use this mod when it's finished.

One suggestion: I'm not a neurologist but maybe the medulla oblongata should have [NERVOUS] instead of [THOUGHT]?

Oh and a more general comment -- some of that is awfully clinical sounding.  I know it's hard to avoid when you're being precise, but maybe you could substitute more earthy terms where possible?  "Loins" instead of "genitalia," "skull" instead of "cranium," etc.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:59:29 pm by Footkerchief »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 04:03:39 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. I'm not nearly done with all the brain parts and what I got is just a fill-in until I have time later on tonight.

I also have to flesh out muscles - though most of the main organs are done (some still need proper location/connections), I will work on nerves and other stuff later.

Any input welcome of course.  :)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 04:25:11 pm »

Uh.  There's trillions of cells in the human body alone, if not in a single HAND.
That WOULD be intense, but your numbers are FAR, FAR off.
You can't even SEE less than 10(? Not sure exact number) million cells without a microscope.
You definitely can't see anything less than a million. (EDIT: Damn thens/thans)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 04:29:25 pm »

You have found a +joke+!  Also, a single human ovum is readily visible to the naked eye.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 07:09:41 pm »

It gives me a reason to get a head start on these things, because I know Toady probably won't have the time to flesh out all the body parts as well as programming DF.

I should still be able to copy/paste over raws even though save compat is broken.

Don't get me wrong, it's tremendously cool and funny.  Though when I read the first post I was imagining a creature like the Numidium, a giant Frankenstein man with visible parts or something.

But yeah, unfortunately it sounds like the raws are in for sweeping changes.  I'm looking forward to the list of defined materials, which tissues can then be described with.  Diamond golems?  Wooddogs?  Dwarf Scientist here we come.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 07:40:46 pm »

You have found a +joke+!  Also, a single human ovum is readily visible to the naked eye.
The ovum is the largest cell in the human body
Humans have an estimated 100 trillion cells; a typical cell size is 10 µm
That's ten millionths of a meter.  NOT visible to the naked eye, as compared to 100-200 µm ova.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 09:07:34 pm »

Maybe you should have said "typical cells" in the first place then.  Also, by your numbers, the ovum is only 1000 times as large as a typical cell, meaning a cluster of 1000 typical cells would be naked-eye visible.  That's one thousandth of the quantity you were so definite about.  Also, learn to understand humor.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 09:14:42 pm »

Maybe you should have said "typical cells" in the first place then.  Also, by your numbers, the ovum is only 1000 times as large as a typical cell, meaning a cluster of 1000 typical cells would be naked-eye visible.  That's one thousandth of the quantity you were so definite about.  Also, learn to understand humor.
The quantity I was so definite about said cells, not human cells.
Look, it doesn't matter.
Can we get back on topic now?
Pages: [1] 2