Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What if you spent $15,000 on a computer made specifically for DF?  (Read 3483 times)

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You would either have to be A. Crazy or B. Very Wealthy to do that but I started thinking about what kind of FPS you would get on it.

We will probably never know.....

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: What if you spent $15,000 on a computer made specifically for DF?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:48:48 pm »

Well, likely it would be one of the guys who makes a system that can play Crysis at full settings. That would be interesting to see.

Owner: Huh, 1000 FPS? That is madness!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:05:30 pm »

It wouldn't do you shit, since CPUs that cost more don't go beyond a certain speed, they only increase the number of cores, which is completely negated by DF being single threaded. At best you could run multiple DF games at the same time.

In the end it would be a collosal waste of money with zero gain over simply buying a good computer.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 10:12:42 pm »

With that sort of money, you can probably buy Toady a development team and seriously improve Dwarf Fortress at an rapid pace.  Which, coincidentally, would make it perform somewhat better.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:15:06 pm »

if I had 15,000 dollars I would only spend on dwarf Fortress I would donate it to Toady.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:53:25 pm »

or at the worst i would just take $1000-$2000 of it for a comp and the rst goes straight to Toady

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 01:47:59 am »

It wouldn't do you shit, since CPUs that cost more don't go beyond a certain speed, they only increase the number of cores, which is completely negated by DF being single threaded. At best you could run multiple DF games at the same time.

Not quite true. You could buy the CPU with the fastest per core speed. Then install some super cool liquid nitrogen cooling system and overclock it to 5GHZ or something like that.

In the end it would be a collosal waste of money with zero gain over simply buying a good computer.

That's still true. If you wanted a "good" DF computer, you just need to overclock something with an E8400, a aftermarket heat sink, and good case airflow. after that, there isn't much to be gained compared to the increase in cost.
Magma is overrated.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 01:56:02 am »

Like people here said, computer hardware is a diminishing returns thing. I'd probably donate the money to Toady unless I had a computer that couldn't actually run DF at all.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 02:40:13 am »

...multithreaded DF anyone? :p
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 02:50:02 am »

I'd buy a decent rig, save some for a future decent rig and donate the rest to toady in chunks of about $1000 a month to avoid some of the more insane tax laws here in holland.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 03:53:01 am »

Not quite true. You could buy the CPU with the fastest per core speed. Then install some super cool liquid nitrogen cooling system and overclock it to 5GHZ or something like that.
The material stress of cooling down and heating up again would rip your hardware apart real fast, unless you go for permanent cooling, which would cost a LOT more.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 04:02:45 am »

Friend of mine clocked a dual core easily to over 4 GHz with nothing but a quality fan. If I were building a computer specifically for Dwarf Fortress, I'd take some extreme dual core and overclock it. Dual over single to allow offloading of other programs to the other.

Fortunately it wouldn't cost anywhere near $15,000 because the only thing you really need for DF is a fast CPU. Okay, fast RAM doesn't hurt, but you don't need much of it, nor disk space, nor really anything else for that matter.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 05:06:11 am »

I'd rather spend the majority of the money to Toady as an incense for making DF multi threaded before proceeding with the regular development. Full multi thread support would probably solve pretty much all major lag issues for those who use 2 or more cores.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 08:30:15 am »

You would either have to be A. Crazy or B. Very Wealthy to do that but I started thinking about what kind of FPS you would get on it.

We will probably never know.....

What? What's the point in that? If you buy a high end system now for ~ 2000 euros, you won't have problems with DF in the upcoming years.  ::)
Also what is this obsession with FPS? Above 60 FPS the dwarves are running around at lightspeed, its pretty much unplayable, or at least annoying.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 11:36:09 am »

I can't see it running much faster than it does when I first embark, and still being playable. Tbh.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: [1] 2 3