Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What if you spent $15,000 on a computer made specifically for DF?  (Read 3475 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What if you spent $15,000 on a computer made specifically for DF?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 03:42:41 am »

I myself also have an E8400 based system, but I have much more FPS with 200 dwarves + everything on. Something is not right with your system I guess.

Yes, but he's got a big (standard though i know :() map, with a LOT of animals, and moving liquid systems.
Magma is overrated.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 03:48:24 am »

It wouldn't do you shit, since CPUs that cost more don't go beyond a certain speed, they only increase the number of cores, which is completely negated by DF being single threaded. At best you could run multiple DF games at the same time.

In the end it would be a collosal waste of money with zero gain over simply buying a good computer.

Thus, with THAT budget, instead of investing in more cores you just get a bleeding fast single CPU and overclock it to hell and back, with a liquid helium coolant system!

"Jesus, 400 dwarves at 100fps? What the hell is your CPU temp right now?"

"about a degree or two above absolute zero, why?"

Novocain

• Bay Watcher
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 04:44:36 pm »

It wouldn't do you shit, since CPUs that cost more don't go beyond a certain speed, they only increase the number of cores, which is completely negated by DF being single threaded. At best you could run multiple DF games at the same time.

In the end it would be a collosal waste of money with zero gain over simply buying a good computer.

Thus, with THAT budget, instead of investing in more cores you just get a bleeding fast single CPU and overclock it to hell and back, with a liquid helium coolant system!

The CPU would be the only thing keeping the rest of the room from instantly freezing.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 07:04:50 pm »

The CPU would be the only thing keeping the rest of the room from instantly freezing.
You'd likely have to play the game dressed like Chew from Blade Runner.
Pages: 1 2 [3]