Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roadhenge  (Read 2831 times)

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roadhenge
« on: October 07, 2008, 04:19:03 pm »

So does any above-ground construction count as "road value" or what?

Do underground roads count as "road value"?

Has anyone built "Roadhenge", a huge outdoor road project that is basically a roundabout in the middle of nowhere, just to increase road value?

I bet this is all in the wiki and I just started a pointless thread ... but "Roadhenge" is pointless, too, so at least I'm still on-topic.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roadhenge
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 04:28:55 pm »

i think that only roads counts as road value.. don't know about dirt ones, but paved ones increase road value.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 05:01:32 pm »

Apparently roads made out of soap can be quite valuable.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 05:04:33 pm »

In ancient times...
Hundreds of years before the age of heroes...
Lived a strange race of people... the Dwarves.

No one knows who they were or what they were doing
But their legacy remains
Hewn into the living rock... Of Roadhenge

Roadhenge! Where the demons dwell!
Where the giant cave spiders live and they do live well!
Roadhenge! Where the frame rates lag!
And the children end up in a goblin's bag!

*Guitar Solo*

More seriously, far as I know, ANY road counts towards road value, regardless to where it is or if it actually serves any purpose. One thing I've heard about some people doing is making roads out of things like silver, gold, platinum or other valuable metals to bring the road value up.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 06:36:46 pm »

Bridges count too.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:02:47 pm »

OM Gawd ROFL "Spinal Tap" crossover FTW!  LMAO at that.

Edit:  Once you put metal on the ground you can't count your bars right.  I'd rather build Roadhenge out of stone blocks than mess up my metal counts.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:09:03 pm by Forumsdwarf »
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 07:24:12 pm »

More seriously, far as I know, ANY road counts towards road value, regardless to where it is or if it actually serves any purpose. One thing I've heard about some people doing is making roads out of things like silver, gold, platinum or other valuable metals to bring the road value up.

dirt roads dont count, basicly dirt roads are just unbuild floor tiles, if you embark near a world generated dirt road (brown one) you will see it get grass withhin two years, and about 4 the first trees show up.

i use paved roads made from obsidian blocks to get a road to all 4 map ends, because by the time, all is grown up with trees and so impassable. and i dont cut it down because i only make beds and some bins/barrels out of wood.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

The Rainmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:47:03 am »

Maybe I'm an idiot, but "road value?"

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 11:37:22 am »

Sometimes I like to colour code my halways and storage areas with different roads, but I think that's the only time I use them besides when I have to deal with trees (mountains I can just d-s and get a legendary engraver out of my "road")

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:04:49 pm »

To get a king you need some requirements met. One of them is reaching a value for 'architecture', which really means roads and bridges. Apparently, the king wishes to live near a dwarven highway.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 01:31:34 pm »

OM Gawd ROFL "Spinal Tap" crossover FTW!  LMAO at that.

Edit:  Once you put metal on the ground you can't count your bars right.  I'd rather build Roadhenge out of stone blocks than mess up my metal counts.
You could always use metal blocks; would bring up the value even more.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 02:08:29 pm »

Apparently, the king wishes to live near a dwarven highway.

Since this is the days before large lorries and car radios with far-too-heavy bass, it's not unreasonable for a king to want to live at a major trade route.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 05:07:45 pm »

To get a king you need some requirements met. One of them is reaching a value for 'architecture', which really means roads and bridges. Apparently, the king wishes to live near a dwarven highway.

Architecture is different than road value.  Road value is typically the only one anyone has trouble with.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 05:42:15 pm »

Let me chip in with my two penny worth:  mechanisms in bridges count towards road value.  I'm not entirely sure how much they count, but one single artifact mechanism in a bridge should be easily enough to surpass any road value requirement at present.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 09:21:41 am »

I had a feeling that couldn't be right, as even my HHD fortress (Hills Have Dwarves - anyone who wasn't from the fortress was killed upon entering the map) had high architecture.

Architecture is different than road value.  Road value is typically the only one anyone has trouble with.
Pages: [1] 2