Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Grip of Steel - Robot community fortress  (Read 2398 times)

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Grip of Steel - Robot community fortress
« on: October 07, 2008, 10:40:58 am »

If I had known how long it would take for the next version to come out, I would have started this immediately after the untimely death of Steelgripped. For those of you unfamiliar with the fort in question Steelgripped was a community fortress with the rather unique twist of running my Robot Fortress mod. Since then I've made quite a few interesting modifications to the mod, for example robots wearing cloaks (or capes, shawls or rags) and making the robots not need water. They don't drink at all. Instead, I've renamed the different 'meals' into different grades of biofuel. And we hopefully won't have to endure any more miniforges, due to me cutting out all the toys from the entity file and replacing them with simchips. Instruments have been replaced with computer parts. Regular toys and instruments do exist, but robots don't make 'em.
The fortress will also be founded in a desert this time, mostly to make it more inhospitable for organic scum defendable. I've also considered raising the overall tech-level of the surrounding world. Goblins, for example, should they ever become too much of a pushover will be replaced with cyborg goblins. I may or may not add this later.

In any case, I'll need six volunteers to accompany a parallel world Overlord Gamma into glory. Any takers?

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Grip of Steel - Robot community fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 10:44:28 am »

sure, i'll join, "Froginator" ;D
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:12:23 am »

I shall be the TBM! Gwahahaha!

Actually, just name my bot TBM. Who needs a name, this is a machine!

I'm sure you can guess the profession.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:45:07 am »

I will join, with the robot "Billy", possibly the most sadistic robot in known history.
Make him a bladebot.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:48:34 am »

Vélmenni. Feel free to omit the é if you can't write it.

It'll do whatever extremely menial labor you need doing. Preferably make it the most unimaginative and dull robot of the bunch.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:01:23 pm »

Spelguru -Mineral/Metal Processor

A mix of mason and blacksmith/metalsmith (no weapon/armor tho')
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:04:36 pm by Spelguru »
Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 12:07:44 pm »

I'm in

the name of my robot must be Marvin ;D
he of course hates everything and everyone.
maybe make him a forgebot or something, It doesn't really matter. As long as It's not fun to do.

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:09:03 pm »

Aaaaand no more open slots, assigning tasks.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 12:58:10 pm »

I'd like to sign up for your first military or peasant migrant.

Name: Dresborg
Bio: Desborg was designated as a military bot (if given a choice, a hammer bot).  He has been troubled by strange malfunctions of his processor while offline and recharging.  Images and subroutines are called in an erratic fashion, creating a nonsense that floods his sensory receptors with false data.  When he comes online he can only recall the faintest bits of these malfunctions, but is intriqued by them.  He is looking for a way to express these concepts, which are wholly illogical.

Basically a military bot that wants to be an artist.  Have him make statues when he's not killing stuff, as well as engraving if you want.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 02:37:03 pm »

I'll sign up for a military crossbowbot - BFGBot 5000.  All he wants is more dakka and the chance to use it :P
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 04:24:27 pm »

The desert sand was rendered scorching hot by the baleful sun overhead. There was only a little wind which didn't do much for the local wildlife, which consisted mostly of bristling saguaros and the occasional spiky lizard-thing or a scorpion. One of them crawled over a small mound of sand, searching for food. What it got instead was a metal foot from above.
Overlord Gamma ignored the crunching sound and looked around. The party had reached the point where sandy desert gave way for rocky wasteland. The stony earth would be easier to fortify. The sand could provide glass for optical instruments. The magma pipe not far from the end of the desert would provide plentiful power.
Gamma glanced at Marvin, the tech-bot, who managed an apathetic shrug. "Should be far 'nuff. The Glazed Council won't find us here. Maybe. Like I care. Wouldn't make a difference if they were aiming global-range railguns at us already. Wouldn't have to put up with-"
Everyone automatically tuned his complaints out. All of them had learned to do so as soon as possible. Nobody wanted to listen to his rants, and even Vélmenni, an old and often oblivious model, actively avoided conversation with him. Vélmenni had been a bit of a problem. Both Spelguru (assembler and heavy construction bot) and Froginator (sawbot) showed open disdain of having to drag an obsolete lump of steel around and Vél sulked often because of that. But no-one else was available to be in charge of the fuel cultivation chambers, so the task was left to Vél.
They brought a TBM as well to excavate underground areas and assist in planning certain structures. The group was rounded out by 'Billy'. Everyone shied away from him due to his record. He had been a warbot, but due to his over-enthusiasm in making enemies (and sometimes friendlies) suffer as long as possible by severing all of their limbs and kicking them around he was reassigned to organic processing. Gamma was relieved that purely military weapons were hard for civilians to acquire back home. Who knows what Billy would have done if he'd gotten himself a powerblade?
On the other hand they had a hard time finding suitable self-defense weapons in case of organic raids or the Natural Glaze taking interest in their group. Being accosted by wetware 'bots would have been very unpleasant. Thankfully they had managed to get a hold of a pair of sawdiscs along with the drills, a stock of unrefined fuel and the...wagon. To avoid detection by both the Glaze of Dangers and the Natural Glaze they had to leave most high-tech stuff behind. No generators, no long-range communication...no motorized vehicles. They had had to steal an organic wagon with organic engines. Gamma made a mental note to have them processed as soon as possible now that they were no longer useful.
"TBM, Spelguru. Excavate there and set up an enclosure. We will need to make this place secure. Set up a fuel cultivation chamber on the desert side. Froginator, disassemble the wagon. Vél, set up the refinery. Billy, start processing the biomass. The sooner we can secure this spot, the better."

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 05:29:09 pm »

I suggest giving Vélmenni a room either in or right beneath the farms :3

It's because I can just imagine him standing motionless in front of the plots, just waiting for them to grow. For days upon days.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 06:29:27 pm »

When you get a Duke, have him be the exact same person as the last one. I shall of course take his alternate personality.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:41:40 pm »

Now initiating the TBM. Switching to soil gear. Preparing grinding surface. Starting first boring.

*Digging sounds*

Hopefully, no miners will be list to the dangers of mining. May the Sand Hogs live forever!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 09:42:18 pm »

Bots? Nice. Bot me!

Name Serial Number: SHO-667
profession: makes armor. and weapons. And designs security systems (traps).
bio: One of the latest models of bots produced, he it has the sentience to realize that robots need to be constantly augmenting themselves to contend with the dangers of the rest of the world. Thus, it makes augments... and shares them with the rest of the bots of its civilization.

I hope this isn't against the rules or anything, but if I can have a second bot...
Name: Marx
Profession: heavyweight swordsbot
Bio: uses the biggest sword it can. In this way it can either use the blade to sever pieces off it's target, or use it's rediculous weight (plus that of the sword) to push the target around.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!
Pages: [1] 2