Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your trap ideas !  (Read 2389 times)

teefek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your trap ideas !
« on: October 06, 2008, 06:41:28 pm »

Hey guys !
I thought it would be a neat idea to start a thread m where everybody could post his very own ideas for selfmade traps. Not like the standart cage or stonefall trap. Something more interesting that you can do with pressure plates, magma, exploding booze, carp and all that stuff.
and maybe we could even start an "selfmade traps" article in the Dwarf Fortress Wiki.

Ideas anyone ?

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your trap ideas !
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 07:27:52 pm »

A pressure plate with a hatch next to it. The pressure plate opens a hatch dropping water behind a pump, while simultaneously turning the pump off. When whatever was on the pressure plate walks onto the hatch, the pump turns back on. There is a pressure plate in front of the pump. When the pump turns on, it pumps the water behind it onto the pressure plate. That pressure plate opens the hatch I mentioned first, dropping whatever walked onto it into a channel below. This channel leads to a series of cage traps next to a kennel. This way, you don't need to go outside to collect the animals you caught in your cage traps.

You could also just have the hatch open and close quickly and hope the animal walks on it when it's closed.

I'm considering building a system of these.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:29:57 pm »

I have a very simple system.

A large construction. Supported by a single support. Around this support is a pressure plate and a chained animal. Whenever something steps on the plate going after the animal, the construction falls and crushes whatever is underneath.

Whole squads have been annihilated this way.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:52:31 pm »

a constructed floor above a dwarf made lake, with supports and then a ton of stone above. they come in I pull lever the stone crashes down on the majority and any survivors find themselves unconscious in water. drowning. I experimented with using pressure plates, but single goblins kept setting it off, and it takes a long time to reload. so now I wait for big seiges.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:53:59 pm »

I had a very complicated one in one fort, where an enemy walked on to a pressure plate, and then onto a bridge. The bridge would retract, dropping the enemy into a pit. A single supported tile in the bridge also collapsed, to further injure the attacker. To finish it all off, a floodgate would open and flood the room.

Overkill, I know, but I was testing out the various trap styles and just sort of built them all into one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 10:01:13 pm »

Here's one.

A floodable hall with a pressure plate at the inside end.  Forbid the outer door as soon as all of the victims are inside the hall.  The pressure plate triggers a pump to flood the hall, forcing the victims to A) drown, or B) flee into the next hall, raised up a few levels from the flood chamber.  This hall has a few weapon traps, plus a pressure plate at either end to trigger a drain pump for each flooding chamber.  Any survivors from these traps continue on into the second flooding chamber - with a pressure plate at the the beginning, linked to its pump.  As the chamber floods, un-forbid the outermost door again, forbidding the innermost door at the same time.  This forces the survivors to A) drown, or B) go over the weapon traps again.

repeat until all victims are dead.

DIAGRAM
Code: [Select]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXBXAXXXX_P__________WWWWW_________P_XXXXAXBXXXX
XXXXXXXXX /XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\ XXXXXXXX
DP_______/XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\P_______D

X = solid ground
_ = mined ground
/ \ = ramps
D = door
P = pressure plate
A = input pump
B = output pump
W = weapon trap
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 11:42:03 pm »

Water cannons.

At the end of the hall there are ramps, which are guarded by grates, and in front of that are flood doors, and directly above the ramps is a pressure tower, preferably five stories tall, a worker starts the pumps to start up the pressure, as the water drops down to the ramps and grates, the enemy come in, well you start up the water cannons, and the enemy flies away, as they land in the shooting grounds, Great Job!

What are the Destroyer Proof and Magma Proof Materials in the game?

Spoiler: SideViews (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:47:03 pm by Foa »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 11:54:03 pm »

I'm setting up no-quality hammer traps on my narrow bridge access.  A lot of them in a row.  What I am hoping is that they won't so much do damage as knock the intruders down the 2 z level drop, so they have to go back up and try again, and again, and again.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 12:34:42 am »

My greatest trap idea which I've never actually gotten around to building go thus:

Main floor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This involves elements of the water cannon.  The water is shot via screw pumps(not sure if this would work, perhaps you need a pressure tower?) across the 1-wide hallway, and the goblins fall into the trench on the left.

One level below:

The water on this level is meant to feed the screw pumps.  What's important to note here are the grates to catch the goblins.  This lets all the water out, while still keeping the goblins intact.  They're not dead yet, but they soon will be.  The door is so you can access all their stuff after...well, read on.

The level above

This level is crucial to the entire design, as those hatch covers are filled to the brim with fiery hot magma.  Obviously, they and the mechanisms that operate them need to magma-proof, otherwise this will be a one-time shot.  You'll also need some way to refill this tunnel of magma for re-use.

Now, what happens is as follows: the water cannon propels the goblins onto the grates.  The water drips down and muddies the ground of an evaporation chamber at least 2 z-levels below everything (diagram not included).  Then, the hatches are opened and the magma falls onto the heads of the goblins.  The goblins are burnt to a crisp along with all their useless cloth as well.  Their iron is left behind for you to access at your leisure (wait till the fire's gone out, though).  The magma also passes through the grates, falling on the water below, creating obsidian.  If you have discovered a cave river/pool, your evaporation chamber will also become a tower-cap farm.  Otherwise, it can be used for regular farming.

Therefore, you:
A) Kill goblins
B) Get their iron stuff
C) Don't have to worry about their useless clothes
D) Get obsidian
E) Get tower-caps (cave river required)

Your mileage may vary.  As I said, I've never actually tried this out.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:36:13 am by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:52:06 am »

The pressure tower is to build up pressure.
The higher it is, the faster the water flows, and the faster it flows, the better the flooding powers are.

The higher the pump, and water level, the more rape-tacular pressure.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:55:35 am by Foa »

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 03:27:49 am »

Water cannons.

At the end of the hall there are ramps, which are guarded by grates, and in front of that are flood doors, and directly above the ramps is a pressure tower, preferably five stories tall, a worker starts the pumps to start up the pressure, as the water drops down to the ramps and grates, the enemy come in, well you start up the water cannons, and the enemy flies away, as they land in the shooting grounds, Great Job!

What are the Destroyer Proof and Magma Proof Materials in the game?

Spoiler: SideViews (click to show/hide)

I tried this, and I never got it to work, no matter how much pressure I biult up it just filled the area faster and didnt push back anything at all! Unless Im missing some magical secret....

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 04:15:01 am »

The magical secret (bug?) is.... That areas going directly from [0/7] water to [7/7] water instantly don't produce the pushing back effect your looking for, i'm afraid.

The most simple and yet effective trap system i've heard of (not my idea) is simply a pit with multiple hatch covers over it. Hook up most of them to a single lever, but leave a winding path through it of non opening hatches. Set this to high traffic, the rest to low traffic. When a siege comes, simply order the lever to be repeat pulled. Any dwarves that want to go outside will simply follow the path, while the goblins will rush straight through, and take a little fall. What you put in your pit is up to you. You could probably have anything from hard stone, to carp infested water to magma. It all depends on your desired level of cleaning :).

Here's a Schematic. X's are the hooked hatches, +'s are just unhooked ones (floors' would work i imagine)

Code: [Select]
###########
XXX++XXX+XX
XX+XX+X+X++
++XXXX+XXXX
###########
Magma is overrated.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 05:17:54 am »

My simple pit trap design:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=17563.0

And then there was another plan I had which was the "road of death", capable of destroying an entire army in one go with relatively few materials.  But drawbridges are a little wonky right now, and I'd really have to dig to find that thread again, something that I am entirely too lazy to attempt right now.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:20:15 am »

ahh so its the progression of the tiles filling that produces the pushing affect, not just the instant filling you get with high pressure. So then how would you go about achieving this optimum pushing affect?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 10:09:57 am »

Next magma map I get, I'm going to redux the Shower Tower in Bauxite.

Basically, drop magma on some guys and filter it through grates - allowing you to get rid of all those pesky non-metal items.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!
Pages: [1] 2