Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Rate the above username!  (Read 11968 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the above username!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 07:25:21 pm »

And for the last time, its ACK IH ZAR.  Not AA KWIH ZAR, because there's no 'U' in there.  Shortening to Aq (ACK) or Aqi (ACK EE) is also acceptable.

Well bugger, I've been getting that wrong for a while now then.  ::)

My name is a mutation from an older name I used for my steam account. I was looking for a name, and my usual one of orb was taken, so I used a term from what I was studying at time, Osmotic (as in the pressure). Coming to these boards, it mutated into Osmosis Jones because I liked the sound. It turns out however that there is a cartoon by the same name. Go figure.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 07:31:16 pm »

Your name is sounds like a pulp, steampunk action-bacteria (why bacteria? I dunno), so that gets +1 Awesome points from me. Plus, everything with the last name of Jones is inherently badass. I think that's a law of physics or something.

My name? Pretty unique. Google 'Dasleah' and it's 99% me. The name itself started when video games (Cruisin' USA on the N64, if my memory serves me correctly) only allowed you to enter 3 letters in the high score table. So I chose DAS, because I was 10 at the time and thought that it all sounded rather awesome.
As time and technology progressed, the concept of 'profiles' spread into games, and with them they granted you the heady power of being able to enter entire names. So, I took my last name and added it to Das, creating Dasleahy. The Y was judged and found to be too wanky, and was dropped.

And that's pretty much it, I suppose. And as for pronunciation? I dunno, really. I've always said it like 'Das-lay' I suppose.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 08:45:27 pm »

...the hat guy from XKCD, partly because that used to be your avatar...

Not true! That was a character I created for a German project. At that time I may have been reading XKCD, but it was actually based on the wondrous top-hat wearing a friend of mine engaged in with some infrequency. That was, oddly, the only frame in which he had a top hat.

I honestly don't have too much to say about anyone else's name. A name is a name is a name, to me, at least. One's as good as another.

Unless it ends in '-thorpe,' which instantly makes it about 10 times more awesome.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 08:58:49 pm »

I like "Reasonableman." The name menaces with spikes of reason, and is adorned with hanging reason rings. On this name is a man in reason. The man is posting on a forum. Anyway, it goes well with your snazzy tophat-atar.

Since old manReasonable posted before, I'll go on to Dasleah! Hmm... Dasleah sounds cool. For some reason whenever I read it, I think of a character out of the Dominic Deegan webcomic. I think they shared a "-leah" suffix to their name. Like me, your name is also pretty much tied to you! Nice! Unlike me, it's an original, self-thought-up name. So, nice on that too. You pronounce it "Das-lay"? I was saying "Das-lay-ah", but I'm terrible at pronouncing things. Or possibly "Da-sleigh!"

My name was either plucked from a name generator (Boo! I know.) or partially and edited afterwards (Half boo? )o!). Normally, I'd change it for that reason alone, but I've used it for so many years now that most search results for Keiseth come up with me. The title, "The Mimic" (i.e.: Keiseth The Mimic) is from another account name I often use. Usually one or the other. "The Mimic" was thought up once I realized how often I read and study other peoples work to learn something (how I started programming, actually!)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 09:02:04 pm »

Keiseth? It sounds like a generic fantasy RPG name, really. Pretty cool, but not really memorable.

Mine originated a couple years ago. I needed a new email and my old regularly used username was annoyingly like what an 8-year-old boy would make (and I made it when I was eight) so I thought of the coolest animal possible. Penguins came to mind.

So I decided to make it even cooler and add "of honor" on the end. This was a cool way of implying something along the lines of knighthood without using "sir penguin" (the name of someone else on these boards) or "penguin knight" (the name of a yu-gi-oh card that probably influenced my name).

So I love the name and have used it for years.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 09:10:14 pm »

A great name.  Instantly recognizable, and yet noble and proud.

Frelock (pronounce as spelled) is a name from my old WoW days.  It's history is a little convoluted (no connection to Frylock).

My first character, I started out with a randomly generated name.  I got Kenothen.  This was regularly shortened to Ken.  When I needed another name, I wanted it to have a similar name, so it would be easier to remember.  Ken is commonly short for Kenneth, and this lead to Fenneth, shortened to Fen.  This name got me to like the F sound in the front of names.  Therefore, for my next name, I wanted something with a F in the front, and a one-syllable nickname.  Going through several one-syllable sounds starting in F, I got around to Fre.  This was a great nickname, but I also wanted something else attached to it.  Not sure how, but I got Frelock, and liked the sound of it.  I always choose a name by how it sounds.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 09:15:11 pm »

Everyone likes penguins. Everyone includes me. Thus, I like it.
I mean, who DOESN'T?
(pd?)CURSES.

Nice and short, and easily readable. Generally friendly, just like these forums.

In the not-too-distant-past, I wanted to play starcraft online.
"qwertyuiop" being taken, my lack of creativity at the time, and forgetting the password lead to "Qwertyuiopas". I liked it, and have used it since.
Eh?
Eh!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 09:21:36 pm »

Hey, qwerty, I'm fine if everyone wants to praise my name. The more the merrier, as Eggman says.

Your name is great. Really simple once you see its origins, but way cooler than something like abcd or whatever. It's recognizable, too. You seem to have found creativity in lack of creativity.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 09:45:18 pm »

Penguin of Honor.  A very cool name.  I wish I thought of something more distinctive yet down to earth like that.  It's evocative without being pretentious like made up words.

The more the merrier, as Eggman says.

Sweet, someone else is playing it.  "Saving the world this and fighting evil that. It's all an excuse to run about and hop on things, is it not?"
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 09:50:56 pm »

Another rating thread? I guess I'll throw in my bit. The names so far seem to be quite fine and dandy, origins pretty cool, etc.

Mine... Well, one day I was playing some game or somesuch, six or seven years ago, and this one came to me as a username... Wow, I just remembered, it was a little more than that, about ten years ago actually, when I still had dialup... And it sort of just stuck. That's pretty much it. Popped out of my head one day, sounded cool, and seemed original. Meh.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 10:59:48 pm »

Devath sounds like a prescription drug to me. However I have to give credit for using creativity and making up a name, as opposed to being like capnjacksparrow. I have confidence that my name will be rated awesome.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 05:06:23 am »

Your name makes me wonder why so many people on the internet have a fascination with cows.  Must be all the haunting moos.

My name is the Goblin word for "crazy", a reference to my more commonly used pseudonym "CrazyGoblin".  Not that interesting of a backstory, it's just an interesting play with words.  And it sounds kinda cool.

Now, the story behind the name "CrazyGoblin" is slightly more interesting...

Sometimes, when I feel the need for a slightly more thematic name (when dealing with medieval fantasy games, most commonly), I will use either "Sir Pippin the Slightly Daft" or "Gavinrad".  "Gavinrad" sounded like a paladin name to me, and so I go around saying "I am Gavinrad the pure.  I am tainted neither by skill nor experience".

"Sir Pippin the Slightly Daft" was something I made up for a mildly deranged halfling hero in Age of Wonders.  It stuck.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 06:48:14 am »

Ha! Crazy... True, you are a lunatic IRL, aren't you? I noticed in the 'IN THE NORWEGIAAAA!' thread.
AWE SOME! INSPIRING COMMADDER!

Me? My name? Oh well. I'm a chauvinistic nationalistic patriotistic or other garbage you throw there. So I put Indonesia, si, my country. And then, War Minister? It is come from Bartimaeus Trilogy: The War Minister. So, because I'm a warmongering terrorist (I terror the local board & blog with T3h RuL3z []f Da Internatz!), and a good RTS wargamer, I choose da name.

And my favourite avatars are eastener. Actually, I have another secondary name: IslamicWarriorMember, fit IWM quite nicely [CALL ME IWM IF YOU WANT IT SHORT! I DON'T TOLERATE 'INDY' how despicable that name is!]

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 07:11:21 am »

Heh, your name reminds me of DF nobles... should I open the floodgate now?

Mine is pretty simple story:
I was tired of having anime nicknames and I suddenly came up with my chineese birthsign (there are a few dumber animals in there than rooster). By the time I got my new nickname I was in this forum for a long time so I didn't change it.

\/- You still didn't rate my username so the next guy will have to do it
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:50:10 am by Rooster »

Swiftfreddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 11:28:55 am »

The Origin of my name isn't as Interesting as most of your guys usernames.

Mine's changed about 3 times in all the time I have used the internet.
It is simply My Middle Name (Freddy) and my last name (Swift) switched around. I was a lot younger when I first started doing more stuff online and I thought people would track me down and kill me if I used any part of my real name.

I'm not so stupid now. . .
Atleast I hope I'm not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5