Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Rate the above username!  (Read 11965 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rate the above username!
« on: October 06, 2008, 04:53:50 pm »

Heh, we've got songs, avatars, and loads of other rate-me threads, why not usernames?

Just give a short explanation about your username, why you chose it, what it means, etc. etc.

Well, there is actually a boss in The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker called the Helmaroc King, it's basically a giant bird wearing a metal crown that protects it's vulnerable comb atop it's head. You must smash the crown as it attacks you to eventually kill it; you have to follow certain steps to defeat it just like every Zelda boss. Well, it was my favorite boss and it has a nice ring to it, so I use it for almost everything that requires a username. If my preferred name is taken, I apt for 'Kargaroc', a lesser enemy in Zelda games that resembles the Helmaroc King but is much easier to kill.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the above username!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 04:58:52 pm »

Interesting username, if not the most original, it's still a good one, with proper spelling and no annoying add-ins like XX_Helmar0c01840.

My name was originally Bóksi, which is essentially a twisted form of the Icelandic noun bók, meaning book. I made it a long while ago, back when I was still a novice at the arts of computers but far beyond my peers at reading skill. It's still fitting in that I read far faster and more skillfully than my classmates.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Eldin

• Bay Watcher
  • BINGO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 05:09:42 pm »

Interesting username, if not the most original, it's still a good one, with proper spelling and no annoying add-ins like XX_Helmar0c01840.

My name was originally Bóksi, which is essentially a twisted form of the Icelandic noun bók, meaning book. I made it a long while ago, back when I was still a novice at the arts of computers but far beyond my peers at reading skill. It's still fitting in that I read far faster and more skillfully than my classmates.
(Quoted for ease of reviewing)

Very nice. It's original (as in I haven't seen it or many similiar), and I agree with you about no annoying add-ons being a plus.

Mine name was shamelessly stolen from a random character Warcraft III: Frozen Throne. The name was Eldin Sunstrider, which appealed to my inner nerd. I took it, and am now using it as the uncreative hack I am  ;D.

Unrelated, I also read very quickly. Maybe something to test if more people confirm the same?
Hi!

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 05:13:54 pm »

Your username is like Teldin, but not Teldin. Now you and Teldin are confusing. Does he even post anymore?

My first username was the first random thing that came to mind, 'Woot', but for some reason it's always taken. Thus Wooty, Woot45, Wooty45, Wooteh, Wootye, and Wootey.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 05:16:11 pm »

Wooty is a silly name, it makes me giggle.

Everyone knows the origin of my name.  That bout with FORUM MADNESS that took me on April Fool's Day, turning me from Muffles to this hideous green-skinned beast!
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 05:26:11 pm »

Cthulhu is a good name not least because it's spelled right. Btw, there's a "Great Cthulhu" on these boards as well. You might want to sue him for...  I dunno, something. :)

My name... It's kind of a long story. Long story short, there was a nice roleplaying game I was making, tabletop, but when it turned out I can't DM worth crap (in realtime, at any rate), the project died. The universe remained, however, and I went on to use bits of it to make my life more interesting, like the "religion" of the Higher Supreme Command, the "pantherian" species called Mii'Ari, and my avatar, Controller Sean 'Jaguar' Mirrsen, overseer of the Sol sector, a man of odd habits and even odder combat preferences (battle techniques labeled with greek letters? tendency to use oversize wrist-attached claws? he's got lots of these).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 05:27:46 pm »

Interesting.

My name is ripped from the Warrior's Saga, it is the name of the son of the evilest villian, who is finally killed by his brother via stake through the neck.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 05:58:53 pm »

I like it, mostly cause of the ambiguity of it (Who is the frost? Why is he hawky?)

Mine stems from disliking the unpronounceable previous name of mine, Dryolsaan. I play a few fps's, and having teammates stumble over my name repeatedly is slightly embarrassing.

The name is still pretty unpronounceable, but suits me better.

(I eventually gave up on creativity as far as online names, and settled to calling myself Wavesheep in tf2 and other games)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 06:01:10 pm »

You have a name I would hate to see in a roleplay. Depending on what your character does, I would just call him "Mr. Fancy Pants." Despite that, it is interesting and not trite. Good work. Don't ever enter a roleplay with me with that name.

Mine... evolved. It started out several years ago playing Legend of Zelda on the SNES, what some lists call the greatest SNES game of all time. I wanted to make a short, non-mine name, and Duke just sorta fit.

Then in some forum banter and as a joke on another forum, I changed to 2.0. It was a joke, but it is a heck a lot better than my other name. Dukemileg1. The 1 was a tradition from my first ever forum, where I made an account, forgot the password, and made another account.

Don't even ASK about the mileg.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:20:56 pm »

LINK MAH BOOOOIIII, THIS PEACE IS WHAT ALL TRUE WARRIORS STRIVE FOR.

I like it a bit.  Although I'm sure the giant green 'U' helps, it's recognizable and easy to remember.

Mine was just adding a 'Non' to my more common username when I started going to forums instead of imageboards.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 06:29:17 pm »

Kinda a spin on the "guest" user. Cool. I like it, its witty, or something.

Mine came from playing too much Metriod Fusion. BTW, I still play that game every now and then. Heh.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 06:43:11 pm »

I don't even remember the history of mine, I've had it for at least 15 years now.
Suffice to say, it has nothing to do with a bird.
You can just call me Jay though..  I prefer it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 07:12:02 pm »

Tee hee. Your name is simplistic and rather straightfoward.

As is mine, really: I was sitting at my computer, stunned at the absolute drivel that is the vast majority of the internet, and felt the most extraordinary sense of crushing hopelessness at the realization that I was the last Reasonable Man among the entirety of human civilization. At least, I felt that way up until I joined these forums.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 07:15:03 pm »

jaybud4 reminds me of the old days when everyone was identified with indecipherable e-mail addresses with numbers bunged on.  I didn't realize at first that it was not jaybird4, and now I'm intensely curious where the 'bud' part came from, and why you're apparently the forth one.

NINJA'D: Reasonableman is a great name, especially for a forum.  "I'm the reasonable one here damn it."  Reminds me of the hat guy from XKCD, partly because that used to be your avatar.

Eons ago when I first joined The Interwebs, I was into astronomy (in a very cursory middle-school sort of way) and identified myself as Quazar.  For some reason it wound up shortening to QZR at some point, and was then completely abandoned when I started going by Antronach (pb's for the ref).  Then I fell off the internet for a long time, and when I got back I started identifying myself with a name from a Solzhenitsyn novel.

When I joined this forum, I wanted a new name.  I thought back to QZR and peoples attempts to phoneticize it, and a few minutes thinking me a few vowels to horn in.  Aqizzar is apparently a completely original word, which I like, but is easily pronounceable, also good, and vaguely Arabic, another bonus.

And for the last time, its ACK IH ZAR.  Not AA KWIH ZAR, because there's no 'U' in there.  Shortening to Aq (ACK) or Aqi (ACK EE) is also acceptable.

EDIT: Oh god, I googled it some more.  Aqiza is the name of a Malaysian fashion company.  Crap.  Nobody tell anyone, OK?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:17:07 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 07:23:38 pm »

Too bad the thread is not about avatars, because I really like yours. The name is nice, as its pronouncable and memorable. Props for coming up with a good name out of (almost) nothing.

My name is based on Captain Fastbreak, a morning show on an Indian MTV pendant. He is kind of a superhero spoof, see the trailers:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=h75f95RMh1U
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=2KBPIxpBgRQ
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=5BwHFK-cn6o
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5