Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'd like to make a graphical ascii set... please help.  (Read 1846 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
I'd like to make a graphical ascii set... please help.
« on: October 06, 2008, 04:38:08 pm »

All right, what I have in mind is an ascii set, but one where I go for a graphical kind, not the ones where it's just g is goblin, but g for goblin is actually in a graphical way.

Er, here's an example,(I just started so it's not up to my standards).

g is for goblin.

EXCEPT! It's not going to be edited into the games own text, it will be it's own seperate image, I can do that, right?

So here are my questions.
-Will my palette size affect FPS?
-Exactly how do I go about making this? Implementing it into the game.
-If this is too complicated for myself in getting it to work in-game, will someone help?
-Can I actually do this?
-Do you guys approve?
-w is wolf, I've been thinking about how this will look like all day.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: I'd like to make a graphical ascii set... please help.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 05:03:29 pm »

Palette size shouldn't really drain your FPS in a noticeable way.

Implementing this is a case of simple raw editing and enabling it in the init files.

If you want, I can help you with anything, since I've done this before, without releasing anything though.

Yes, you can.

I do, although I probably won't use it.

w. Leftmost part is head, the two downwards angles are legs, and the rightmost part is the tail.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 05:09:43 pm »

Ah, thanks.

Really I don't think this will be out soon, as I won't finish the demons because I haven't, well O.K. That's all.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 05:56:05 pm »

What I really want to see...
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:05:05 am »

3D... it's too early for 3D. If someone could do 3D by now they would have done it.

What I'm talking about is to take this w, and make it look like a wolf, and a w, at the same time.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 11:51:02 am »

I know. It's not so much the 3D as the way the letters... seem alive, like D is the natural shape for a dragon and medieval heraldry was dreadfully wrong.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:35 pm »

:D
great picture! Made my day!

I've been working on a similar approach to use graphic tilesets to get more diversity into the ASCII set. But rather than giving the letters faces, I tried to use different fonts to represent different creatures that share the same letter.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 02:44:09 pm »

Phew!

Finally! Finished with the first line, all farmer profession dwarfs, seeing as how they would be more eaiser to do.

(jobs appear in alphabetical order, except for peasent which is the first one)
Any complaints? Or complimants? I'm taking both.

btw my master pallette

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 10:51:16 pm »

Despite no one replying or giving feed back, I have still worked on this graphics set, well not as much as I would like to, but it's getting somewhere.

Jobs as before appear in alphabetical order, along with the main profession,(except farmers is first followed by craftsdwarfs, etc).

DigitalSin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 12:51:09 am »

They look pretty cool!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 11:16:49 am »

Ah, why thank you sir.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 12:31:38 pm »

Finished with all of the normal jobs, finally!

Onto the nobles, warriors, etc.

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:38:30 pm »

I didn't understand what you meant with the 'g' goblin, but then I magnified it :o
I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 10:48:06 pm »

BUMP!

I need to ask about milatary, are champions just champions or can you give a champion with a certain weapon skill a graphic set?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 10:56:40 pm »

Despite no one replying or giving feed back, I have still worked on this graphics set, well not as much as I would like to, but it's getting somewhere.

Jobs as before appear in alphabetical order, along with the main profession,(except farmers is first followed by craftsdwarfs, etc).

It reminds me of that trippy flash video for a song by Junior Senior... I like the dwarves' smiley faces but I imagine that the g and w would piss me off by lookin' like stuff, even if it didn't affect the normal font. :o

Keep it going tho--someone will love this font, I can promise that.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: [1] 2