Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mark Items for Decoration  (Read 1999 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Mark Items for Decoration
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:44:10 pm »

Relatively simple; Adapt the "Melt" tag system to be able to tag items for decoration. Having to do manual dumping next to the workshop for EVERY SINGLE ITEM gets real old, real fast.

That is all.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Items for Decoration
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:20:59 pm »

Seconded!
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 04:25:15 pm »

I agree with the sentiment behind this suggestions 100%, but I'm not sure this would be the very best way to do it. I think we need more control over the specifics of workshop orders in general - e.g. choosing specific stone types for work shops, choosing specific crafts to make - and it might be best to include this control over specific object to be decorated into such a larger overhaul. Otherwise there is still loopholes in the system after this suggestion - what if, for example, you want to have an masterwork gold throne decorated with silver and platinum and marks it for decoration - but a bonecrafter you had forgotten about steals it and decorates it with cat bone? My point being, there's still not perfect control unless you can say that you want THIS workshop to decorate THIS specific item with THIS specific material.

The ability set source/output stockpiles for workshops would be another way to approach this problem. Still not perfect, but better than now.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 04:35:52 pm »

I like it.

We could make it more complicated, of course.  Maybe have a "commission" command in the job manager screen that would allow you to build a custom job, so you could commission an engraving (or, ultimately, a statue) or an object to be decorated with specific materials and scenes of specific events in your fortress that you would like remembered in stone or gold or bone or what-have-you.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 04:38:14 pm »

I agree with the sentiment behind this suggestions 100%, but I'm not sure this would be the very best way to do it. I think we need more control over the specifics of workshop orders in general - e.g. choosing specific stone types for work shops, choosing specific crafts to make - and it might be best to include this control over specific object to be decorated into such a larger overhaul. Otherwise there is still loopholes in the system after this suggestion - what if, for example, you want to have an masterwork gold throne decorated with silver and platinum and marks it for decoration - but a bonecrafter you had forgotten about steals it and decorates it with cat bone? My point being, there's still not perfect control unless you can say that you want THIS workshop to decorate THIS specific item with THIS specific material.

The ability set source/output stockpiles for workshops would be another way to approach this problem. Still not perfect, but better than now.

Well, the aforementioned problem - bone on a gold throne - would be avoided with how I see it working, in that it mimics the Melt option. Melt-marked items aren't melted until you set a Melting job at one of your smelters. Likewise, a Decoration-marked item wouldn't be decorated until you set a Decoration job at an appropriate workshop. So unless you had your craftsdwarf shop permanently set to "decorate with bone" you'd be fine.

I do agree, though, that better control over workshops (and, for that matter, streamlined equipment so that clothing/armor/weapon decoration can be accomplished properly) is an absolute must.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:43:26 pm »

Likewise, a Decoration-marked item wouldn't be decorated until you set a Decoration job at an appropriate workshop. So unless you had your craftsdwarf shop permanently set to "decorate with bone" you'd be fine.

I often do exactly that, and I could very easily see myself forgetting about it in the situation I described. :) But I'm perfectly open to the possibility that I'm clumsier than most. I would personally prefer a more fool-proof system, though.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 05:37:20 pm »

Foolproof is also clunky. Keep in mind that under your suggested system, you'd need to access the item list every time you want to add decorations. If you just want to decorate trade goods with glass, then such a system would be totally impractical.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 05:44:46 pm »

Foolproof is also clunky. Keep in mind that under your suggested system, you'd need to access the item list every time you want to add decorations. If you just want to decorate trade goods with glass, then such a system would be totally impractical.

True. I would, certainly, love any possible system that would be both more streamlined and flexible.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 05:47:48 pm »

Perhaps you can set it at a workshop so every outgoing item is marked for decoration? Thus you have a metalsmiths forge make a golden throne, the moment the throne is finished it is automatically given the decoration tag. A;though it should work like repeat, where only specific things on the list are marked for decoration when finished.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Snappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 06:12:57 pm »

On a slightly different topic which is still relevant to decoration, I think engravers should be able to decorate stone/metal items.

I suggest a new order at the Craftsdwarf's Workshop: Engrave Item. I did a quick search and I didn't see it mentioned previously. It would be cool to have thrones, doors, etc. with engravings on them.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 07:30:35 pm »

On a slightly different topic which is still relevant to decoration, I think engravers should be able to decorate stone/metal items.

I suggest a new order at the Craftsdwarf's Workshop: Engrave Item. I did a quick search and I didn't see it mentioned previously. It would be cool to have thrones, doors, etc. with engravings on them.
You can't engrave metal..
Stone, yes, but not metal.
That'd be more of an Emboss type job, done using Metalcrafting and very similar if not identical to Stud...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 07:56:58 pm »

Simple; [d]esignate decorate. If you can designate decorate, you can select an entire stockpile of items (and the bins they're in) to be studded with bone etc.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 09:49:38 pm »

Osmosis Jones: that works fine for "I want this item to be decorated, and I don't care how". However, the suggested method was "I want this item to be decorated in this specific way", which would need to be set at the workshop doing the decorating, and in turn require access to the item list.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 04:16:49 am »

Tagging items for any decoration is good for common products like trade goods. A general order is needed to refine the choice of objects to decorate: "decorate until value exceeds x", to avoid all decoration material being spent on a single mug.

Decorating a specific item could be a separate workshop order or something for the manager, which should also claim the necessary items for the job and ignore any tags.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

n2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 03:12:57 am »

I wonder if it gets done in the next major version...

OLD RLY http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4609.0
Pages: [1] 2