Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: MUDs  (Read 7866 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MUDs
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:53:20 am »

I thought I'd start a thread about MUDs, MUCKs, MUSHs and everything in between.  Post one of your favorites and tell us why.

Maybe, if anyone is interested, we could start a guild or clan on one of them.

Every so often I get a hankering to play a text-based MMO.  They lack graphics, but have far more depth than the modern  ones.  They are free 99% of the time, but some allow you to buy credits for stuff (not my favorite type of MUD).

Right now, I just started playing Realms of Despair.  It's considered to be one of the fathers, if not THE father, of Smaug-based MUDs.  It's pretty fun, based on a sword & sorcery world, but not incredibly innovative.  I'm using Portal to play.  It's a very good, free MUD client.

I've also dabbled in RetroMud a little.  The strong-point of this game is the massive number of classes and races.  You first pick a basic class at first, like a Thief, but then around level 13 can extend your class to a related branch, like Assassin or swashbuckler.  Races are extremely varied.  There is a whale race and an insect-like race that has many limbs for carrying tons of stuff.  The only thing that kept me away from RetroMud is that it sort of requires you to group a lot.

So what do you guys play?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:01:23 pm by lumin »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: MUDs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:56:17 am »

It's a shame but I never played with any MUDs... :-X
I might try out one actually. I just don't have any clue that which MUD is good enough to spend my precious freetime on it.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:08:34 pm »

I play Discworld MUD. Sadly their command syntax, room descriptions and map systems are so darn good I just can't stand any other MUD anymore. Even though they might have more interesting races and spells and stuff.
When I can't type "get every ball except red ball from backpack" I just start crying.

Check it out. It has quite a few active players, a very detailed and seamless world, lots of funny stuff and gets new things added all the time. Crafting additions are in now. As are new custom weapons.

Downsides are a few imbalances here and there, only one race and a handful of Guilds. But the skill system is very versatile so you can learn a few tricks from the other Guilds easily.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:17:45 pm »

I'm checking out Discworld's site now.  Pretty impressive!  Sounds like a huge world too.  How many rooms does it have?  I've heard of this MUD, but was always scared away by my unfamiliarity with the setting.

What's your character name?  I'll try it out.

edit: A million rooms?!  Most of the largest MUDs out there only have around 20,000...  That main city is incredible!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 12:24:09 pm by lumin »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 12:31:50 pm »

I personally have had a deplorable experience of MUD's.

MUD: This is how you walk, talk and use some basic comands.
 Me: Cool.
 MUD: Now that you are out of the tutorial, you will need to fend for yourself. What do you want to be?
 Me: I'll choose warrior, that seems simple.
 MUD: The warrior guild is in Losasia.
 Me: Where?
 MUD: Go ahead, walk there.
 Me: But where is it? To the north?
 MUD: Find it.
 Me: Damnit. Fine, I'll start going North randomly.
 MUD: You are on a street with houses, all of them looking the same. x2500000
 Me: What. The. Hell.
 MUD: You are hungry.
 Me: How do I eat?
 MUD: Use the eat command.
 Me: Whats the eat command?
 MUD: The eat command.
 Me: Gah! Fine, I'll say... 'eat fish.' I remember getting that from the tutorial.
 MUD: I don't see it.
 Me: It's right here in my... uhh, how do I open my inventory?
 MUD: Use the inventory command.
 Me: Thats it, I'm just pressing random buttons...
 MUD: You have died from starvation as you sleep. Try another character?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 01:02:22 pm »

Yeah, you've really got to think in a MUD.  I prefer it though. 

I like the fact that you are not held by the hand with mini-maps and arrows leading you to your next quest.  I like that food and water matters and that having a torch is important in a cave.  I like the challenge of figuring out what to do next, and accidentally stumbling upon monsters way above my level and getting creamed.  It's an excitement completely lost in modern multi-player games.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 01:24:38 pm »

I do too.

I just wish I wasn't so damn blind all the time.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 02:54:18 pm »

Lumin, my name's Rhodan on Discworld. I'm a wizard, so I can portal you around easily.

Discworld's million rooms are a bit misleading though. There's a huge 'overworld' connecting the cities. But each city is extremely detailed with properly named streets and map and houses and stuff. The Disc is easy to navigate though. The compass directions and outside distances are consistant so general directions are easy to follow.

Food and drink are not needed, but there's still heaps of it for fun. Lots of alcohol to get drunk with and mix and stuff.

Lights are important, but it's easy to get a semi-permanent source.

Duke 2.0, perhaps try Discworld. North is north, starvation doesn't happen, and the syntax is basically English. And there's blind people playing it too I think.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 04:22:52 pm »

Lumin, my name's Rhodan on Discworld. I'm a wizard, so I can portal you around easily.

Discworld's million rooms are a bit misleading though. There's a huge 'overworld' connecting the cities. But each city is extremely detailed with properly named streets and map and houses and stuff. The Disc is easy to navigate though. The compass directions and outside distances are consistant so general directions are easy to follow.

Food and drink are not needed, but there's still heaps of it for fun. Lots of alcohol to get drunk with and mix and stuff.

Lights are important, but it's easy to get a semi-permanent source.

Duke 2.0, perhaps try Discworld. North is north, starvation doesn't happen, and the syntax is basically English. And there's blind people playing it too I think.
He was jesting at the term blind, I'm fairly certain he's not actually blind, as playing a MUD through text-to-speech and speech-to-text would be hard...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 05:16:17 pm »

He was jesting at the term blind, I'm fairly certain he's not actually blind, as playing a MUD through text-to-speech and speech-to-text would be hard...
You'd be surprised. There's a thriving community of the MUD-playing visually impaired :)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 06:05:02 pm »

I've known a few blind MUD players. I used to play a couple muds, tried to get hooked again, but I just can't seem to get hooked. *shrugs*

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 06:12:29 pm »

Blind in the sense that I have no clue where I am.

Really, no clue.

"You are on a street surrounded by houses, all exactly the same. Exits are North and South. You see a Small child."

talk to small child.

"I don't see that here."

Talk to Small child.

"Who?"

Damn you, stupid game.

"What?"

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 07:06:45 pm »

Syntax sucks. It's really the worst part of MUD's. Also, any sort of payment plan or pay-to-win system ruins the game. And automated systems. Don't get me started.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 08:35:44 pm »

Surely on a Discworld MU* it should be Hubward-Rimward-Turnwise-Widdershins, not North South East West.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 08:40:56 pm »

Duke that was pretty much my experience as well...

As such I've grown to highly dislike MUD games. (Afterall, why SHOULD I like a game I cannot play? Worse yet, why should I like a game I need others to learn how to play? mind you I played a MUD without a tutorial)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4