Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coffins: Cause of Death/Profession  (Read 2408 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Coffins: Cause of Death/Profession
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:27:51 am »

Maybe it's me, but I would like coffins to show a little more info about the poor dwarves entombed therein. First and foremost would be cause and year of death.

"Herein lies Urist McBasher, Macedwarf. He died from a broken lower body while fighting Kurgrath îbendor the Dangerous Bridge the giant in the summer of 1204 in Brickspite the Tale of Woe. He was married to Tholtig Fairmaiden, and had no children. He is buried with a +Steel mace+ and a -Giant skull totem-."
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coffins: Cause of Death/Profession
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 04:49:17 am »

I really like this idea.  It'd be particularly nice for, say, that time I lost my Mechadwarf to a fire imp.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:36:37 am »

Word!  Such a feature would be lovely.  :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:44:29 am »

It would definately give a reason, beyond possibly Dwarves giving coins and other trinkets to the dead, to actually go Grave Robbin in Adventure mode.

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:28:17 am »

Instead of doing it automatically, maybe the coffin can be marked for engraving once a dwarf or animal is in it.  Give a little personality, and an opportunity for dwarves to be careful of pissing off the fortress's legendary engraver.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:16:46 am »

Items shouldn't be automatically placed within. Well, other than the dwarf's clothing but seems the others are too eager to take those for that to happen

I mean, it's annoying enough to have legendary people stealing every amulet you make, let alone pre-economy thieves. Limiting each item to one and disowning previous posessions would facilitate dwarves getting buried with their stuff better. It's no biggie if he takes one turtle shell amulet to the great beyond. Maybe make it assignable and give happy thoughts to his friends from it

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 09:30:31 am »

Yeah, good idea. Maybe it wouldn't be too hard to implement at all.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 09:49:05 am »

Instead of doing it automatically, maybe the coffin can be marked for engraving once a dwarf or animal is in it.  Give a little personality, and an opportunity for dwarves to be careful of pissing off the fortress's legendary engraver.

Might work, but then what would be done for pineboxes and sarcophagi? Woodcrafting/metalsmithing, respectively? Also, random duck images might piss off the family of the deceased.

At any rate, I'd definitely say that the item-burial should be limited to one or two objects (To differentiate between otherwise identical Macedwarves, for example) and maybe some coin.

I forget what the bloat number is, but I know there's something in the dev notes for "Graveyards and assosciated fun stuff." I suppose this falls under that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 09:52:24 am »

I guess if he gets mad he could put something like

Here Lies Urist (I hate that name) the Donkey Scoundral. He died being eaten by a Toad while stealing food from the pantry giving out child-like screetches. He murdered his entire family. He was famos for being the most ugly Donkey in all the land whos face makes men weep. The one who opens his coffin will contract the curse of the Ugly Toad.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 10:47:44 am »

This is an *extremely* cool idea. I would love to browse my burial chambers like this. Not to mention it would be *awesome* in adventure mode, when exploring old forts.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 12:04:05 pm »

I like the thought of both engraved tomb areas and grave goods.  Add to it the concept of inheritance (your kids get your stuff, or it gets buried with you) and you've got a real system. 

Obviously this would be a cultural mores thing, but dwarves produce enough crap that they could afford to be buried with some of it.

For the inheritance, it would be the only way to stop Urist from being buried with that masterwork (or even artifact) sword he's been using.  Sure, burying dwarves with their armour is going to get expensive real quick, but it adds to the cost of losing dwarves, and makes tomb raiding a LOT more fun.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 12:54:24 pm »

This idea is... awesome.

How would you assign the item? Just through the dwarf's inventory screen? Do you assign the coffin to be carved like a wall, or is it done with the burial? Hmm...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 02:42:45 pm »

This idea is... awesome.

How would you assign the item? Just through the dwarf's inventory screen? Do you assign the coffin to be carved like a wall, or is it done with the burial? Hmm...

Ultimately, that's up to Toady.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 04:11:08 pm »

One way would be to have it be an option on the building, i.e. a filled burial receptacle. So to have the coffin engraved, you'd select the building, then press a hotkey to change "No engraving requested" to "Engraving requested", kind of like for trade depots. This would then create an "engrave coffin" job, which would summon engravers to carve up the epitaph. It might also be nice to have an "Always engrave coffins" setting in the options menu that would make coffins default to requesting an engraving after being filled, to prevent the need to micromanage it.

Would something like this make sense? If burial ceremonies are added along with organized religions of some form, it might be interesting to merge these concepts somehow. Although I personally don't see a problem with a burial being performed without a finished grave - I suppose burials are by their very nature rather impromptu affairs.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:16:51 pm by MMad »
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 07:21:32 pm »

Here Lies Urist (I hate that name)

That's fine, just pick another. Bomrek, or Zas, or Zefon. Cog, maybe? Lots of dwarf names to pick from. I think people just use Urist because it's used enough that everyone remembers it.

On the subject of more information from coffins, I definitely approve! Maybe include a link to the dwarf's profile information from there as well? Same way we can view fallen dwarves from their relatives relationship screen.

I'd also like to see engravings in Tombs have a higher chance to reflect the dwarf buried there. Maybe engravings of their favorite things, the event that killed them. Hmm...how about engravings of them and their families? Show the dwarf with their spouse and kids, or for younger dwarves show them with their parents?

If the dwarf made any artifacts, that should also be engraved there. Not that it won't be in a dozen places already, but if it should be anywhere...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2