Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Coffins: Cause of Death/Profession  (Read 2407 times)

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
Re: Coffins: Cause of Death/Profession
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 02:49:04 am »

I was about to post pretty much the same suggestion, but I found this old thread instead :).

I'd love to see the darves' relationship to the buried taken in account here. If the deceased had many friends, the engraving might read "Died while heroically fighting a cave crocodile" - or, if he was totally unpopular "He tried to flee from a cave crocodile".

The engraver's relationship could make another factor, e.g. if they were good friends, there is a higher chance to engrave a masterpiece because of the extra effort put into it.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 03:05:26 am »

I love this idea. I don't really have anything to contribute but a vote for it :)

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 05:08:17 am »

Perhaps this should be included in as coroner task work for the medical people?

Find cause of death, "blunt object trauma" etc... CSI work... And maybe some detective work for the sheriff, who goes around to find out "who dunnit"?

Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 09:53:16 am »

+1.

Excellent idea.  All the history information is already stored, no new skill handling is needed.  It could simply be a user interface change without any of the engraver task complication, or CSI weirdness.
Just show the history of the dead dwarf.
Brilliant!

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 03:01:02 pm »

cool idea. Should probably be nice and simple, auto-generating a description and with an AI selected item. Does this have an endless poll vote yet? Also, remember to update your votes periodically.

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 03:30:56 am »

How about "engrave pretty much any object / craft that is made of stone"?

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:15:39 am »

How about "engrave pretty much any object / craft that is made of stone"?

Now THAT'S the right idea.
Let stone detailers engrave on anything, similar to how gem setters encrust items, perhaps?
Less code to write, and less focused, than a whole 'burial arc' of development.  And, more useful.

I think Sebs is on to something  +fine+  there.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »

This is all excellent.

While it would be nice to allow any item to be engraved, I think that would be counterproductive to the goal of giving dwarves epitaphs.  What would end up happening is that people would engrave the coffins with arbitrary images (since nobody's buried in them yet), and dead people would end up in sarcophagi covered in salmon.

For burial goods, I'd say to calculate the dwarf's single favorite possession and bury it with them.  The criteria would be (in order of decreasing importance):

1. Attachment to item ("Urist Soldierdwarf has become attached to a dog leather cap!")
2. Item satisfies more of dwarf's preferences than other items ("Urist Soldierdwarf likes dog leather, caps, and menacing spikes.")
3. Item is more valuable than other items.  (Dog leather cap: 100,000,000 dwarfbucks)

The game would start by looking at the first criterion.  If the dwarf has no possessions that satisfy that criterion, go on to the next one.  On the other hand, if the dwarf has multiple possessions that satisfy that criterion, use the next one to break any ties.  Repeat until an appropriate item is chosen.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 12:58:09 am »

The OP is good. I also feel that dwarves should have funeral goods- but let's look at real tokens and items; food, valuables, ceremonial weapons, clothes, and favored items... and, of course, symbolic items, like statuettes of cattle or soldiers to provide beasts of burden and warriors in the next world.

So, attached items, clothes, weapons, maybe food, definitely coins and gems, and certainly all kinds of finished goods like toys and musical instruments.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:44 am »

A great idea, I'd love to see it implemented bro
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Urist McMick

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 03:04:05 am »

Twould finally be a reason to mint some coins. And give us summat to do with the billions of *Chalk Tankards* lying around
In a World without Walls and Fences, who needs Gates and Windows?
You could bite into your computer screen, chipping teeth and fucking up the screen.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 06:46:16 am »

From pure gameplay perspective, i would love to know a bit more about deceased civillian to be able to react to it:

* Enabled skills he had at moment of death
* Skill totals.
and, of course cause, but that is not as important.

One of bad things about bad dying is you just can't remeber: hmm, what was he doing actually? What will my fort miss? What do i need to enable on his replacement(s)?

Seeing short "CV" of deceased dwarf should help a bit to manage stuff like that.
Pages: 1 [2]