Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You've "Canceled Rest" 5000 times already!  (Read 2367 times)

MajFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You've "Canceled Rest" 5000 times already!
« on: October 05, 2008, 08:39:54 pm »

My hunter overexerted herself, and is HURTING. Her upper spine is bruised, and her right lung and upper body are mangled.

Naturally she has to do this near where the camels spawn. The problem is, she's dropped down and is not getting up, leading to cancellation to cancellation of rest activities. And my dwarves aren't rescuing her. Is she pretty much screwed, or do I just need to send in a squad to rescue her? It'd be good experience for my 20-some-odd soldiers.
Quote from: foop
Quote from: Bodkin
...and I've wasted everybody's time.  Not that anybody here would have been off curing cancer...

It's funny you should say that, but what I should be doing is rebuilding a database that maps experimentally determined carcinogenic mutations in protein kinases to known structures as part of a human-annotated cancer research resource.  What I'm actually doing is reading the DF forums.

MajFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You've "Canceled Rest" 5000 times already!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 08:46:09 pm »

Oh, you've got to be kidding me... I found the problem: the camel she was after hadn't left the map yet.
Quote from: foop
Quote from: Bodkin
...and I've wasted everybody's time.  Not that anybody here would have been off curing cancer...

It's funny you should say that, but what I should be doing is rebuilding a database that maps experimentally determined carcinogenic mutations in protein kinases to known structures as part of a human-annotated cancer research resource.  What I'm actually doing is reading the DF forums.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 12:09:22 am »

Dwarves are persistent. Even when wounded, they go after their goal with single-minded determination and tunnel vision. :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:27:15 am »

Or until they decide to party for 7 months at a time, three times consecutively.  But they'll get to it right afterwords, I promise.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 12:34:49 am »

Ahh, but the thing there is that their goal is partying. And again, they will not stop until the partying is over. EVER!
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:36:07 am »

Or unless they are drafted.  I think drafting takes them out of parties (it's how I got my broker out to do meetings and trade)

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 01:53:43 am »

Sometimes it's a blessing in disguise though, i had someone survive a mining accident involving lava (both red feet, ironic huh?) and because of the single mindedness, that dwarf walked all the way across the map, to the booze stockpile to take a drink, before collapsing and asking to be brought to a bed.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 02:31:48 am »

Sometimes it's a blessing in disguise though, i had someone survive a mining accident involving lava (both red feet, ironic huh?) and because of the single mindedness, that dwarf walked all the way across the map, to the booze stockpile to take a drink, before collapsing and asking to be brought to a bed.

there is no bigger priority than booze in a dwarven life!
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 02:32:55 am »

With regard to parties: drafting only works for dwarves that are also on-break at the time. It also works for non partying dwarves that are on break. For non on-break dwarves who are partying, you need to remove the room designation: this cancels the party (you can put it back right away, they probably wont start a new one for a few days)
Magma is overrated.

Alexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 01:02:21 pm »

"Urist McUrist cancels collapse into unconsciousness and rest for 5 years:  Still kinda thirsty."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 01:21:32 pm »

"Urist McUrist cancels collapse into unconsciousness and rest for 5 years:  Still kinda thirsty."

Olon Ironblood cancels die: Still kinda thirsty.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 02:39:50 pm »

I'd be tempted to lock him out of the booze room until I checked his boots for fire.  He could end up killing all the muskoxen I use to heat my dining room if he steps in a puddle of dwarf booze.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 03:40:12 pm »

Urist McUrist cancels explosion: Still kinda thirsty.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 03:52:49 pm »

Either he walked across the map on his hands, or he walked across the map on semimolten stumps.  Either way, that's a thirst.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 10:48:13 pm »

Urist McFirefoot cancels rest for 5 years:  not DRUNK enough.

reminds me of "Predator" the movie when a guy asks the future Gov. of Minnesota, " Do you know your bleeding?"

"I ain't got time to bleed"

or, in Dwarf:

"Hey Urist, did you know your feet are on fire and you are going to burn to death?"

"I ain't got time to burn to death, I gotta DRINK!"

"What, water?  Thats a good idea!"

"Water?!  Whaddya be tryin' ta'DO to me?!  I NEED ALCHOHOL and LOTS of IT!"

"But alchohol is flamable!"

"EXACTLY!"

"Huh?"

GMcG
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."