Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sheep, Chickens, Eggs, wool, and milk.  (Read 3597 times)

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheep, Chickens, Eggs, wool, and milk.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 10:21:03 am »

Yeah. Also eggs can lead to some awesome new features in the game. Example: buy some unidentified eggs from the caravan, let your dwarf -who has the proper skill- take care of it, and one day who knows what will appear from that egg!  ;D

With my luck, more kittens.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:26:55 am »

Yeah. Also eggs can lead to some awesome new features in the game. Example: buy some unidentified eggs from the caravan, let your dwarf -who has the proper skill- take care of it, and one day who knows what will appear from that egg!  ;D

At least with egg-laying livestock you don't have to go through the moral desensitization of economies based off kitten murder.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 10:30:02 am »

I lol'ed.  ;D

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 01:06:13 pm »

In Chariot's mods, for the chickens, I was unnerved to see chickens have live-birth. Why no eggs? Why aren't the roosters protecting their roost? What's going on here?

As for eggs... "A kitten has hatched! x100" ... :( Why?

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 01:09:50 pm »

cat eggs? i'd be more worried about it ending up being undead carp eggs.
An egg has hatched into an Undead Carp! x100
Olin McBeardly cancels Tend Hatchery: Fleeing for his life

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 02:39:26 pm »

What would happen if an besieging army consisted of creatures that lay eggs? Would they drop the eggs during the invasion, causing a secondary force to arise down the road if the eggs are not collected and destroyed(or cooked?)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 02:59:53 pm »

At least with egg-laying livestock you don't have to go through the moral desensitization of economies based off kitten murder.
Ahh, but since time is accelerated, should the layers lay like crazy?

You have discovered an egg incubator, what do these eggs contain?
[Time Lapse]
The eggs have hatch into tamed GIANT CAVE SPIDERS? You are lucky to have found them, or there'd be an outbreak.

Athisus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 03:11:09 pm »

Has anyone else noticed the disturbing parallel between what you're proposing and the Harvest Moon series? You need to make it dwarven, turn the sheep into war animals, the eggs into ammo for catapults, cow's milk drowning chambers, and chicken arenas! Give it some departure from what's already been done.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:18:38 pm by Athisus »

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 05:29:32 pm »

Has anyone else noticed the disturbing parallel between what you're proposing and the Harvest Moon series? You need to make it dwarven, turn the sheep into war animals, the eggs into ammo for catapults, cow's milk drowning chambers, and chicken arenas! Give it some departure from what's already been done.
Does that mean eggs are considered as a drink and food.

I eat raw eggs for breakfast. * crunch crunch crunch*

mariankonieczny

• Bay Watcher
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 06:08:23 pm »

You have discovered an egg incubator, what do these eggs contain?
[Time Lapse]
The eggs have hatch into tamed GIANT CAVE SPIDERS? You are lucky to have found them, or there'd be an outbreak.

aliens in HFS? interesting option, methinks.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 11:23:12 pm »

And this doesn't even touch on what the morals of said race are with regards to an unfertilized egg.

I mean, seriously, what would they do with it?

The Menacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 12:08:40 am »

I as good an idea as it is to have more livestock options, I really do feel like we need some appropriately dwarven animals.  It's definitely a good idea to stay as far away from harvest moon as we can.  How's about some kind of benign fungus monster that has to be fed withered crops to produce "wool".  How about having your animal tenders corral swarms of some freaky chitinous chasm beast in order to harvest their eggs.  Since the end product is the same I suppose it doesn't really make a difference, but the two running themes of dwarf fortress are pretty much senseless hilarious death and dwarves eating absolutely ridiculous crap and it'd be a shame to depart from that just for the sake of convenience.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 12:32:39 am »

Curse those who have stolen from me the opportunity to mention Harves Moon first!

On the subject of there being pets for dwarves specifically, there should be a way to control which common domestic creatures a civ can have (other than biome--good races can bring along unicorns on embark, but not other civs)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 01:22:42 am »

And this doesn't even touch on what the morals of said race are with regards to an unfertilized egg.

Vegetarian: PERSONAL_MATTER
Vegan: SHUN

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 03:28:38 pm »

Erm, hate to be gross, but there is a human equivilant to this process...
Pages: 1 [2] 3