Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sheep, Chickens, Eggs, wool, and milk.  (Read 3594 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Sheep, Chickens, Eggs, wool, and milk.
« on: October 05, 2008, 02:40:21 pm »

Should these be implemented. Also, imagine the mods or gamepley, you could have a giant eagle chicken coop. Or a Dragon Egg breakfast, please feel free to discuss and kill each other over the internet on this subject.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheep, Chickens, Eggs, wool, and milk.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 02:50:56 pm »

No. Chickens are too overpowered.

Oh wait... We are not discussing Team Fortress 2 classes...

Yeah. Good idea.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 02:52:44 pm »

Chickens? TF2? Where do they mix in together, there aren't any in TF2
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 05:38:47 pm »

I believe this is mostly on the current development list

I.C: Eggs and feathers, associated skills and objects (part of Bloat58)

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 12:04:33 am »

Chariot has made a mod to add sheep and chickens to the game found here, but that's just it for now.  No eggs or wool, but they are in the development notes I believe.  Chariot's mod has since been expanded to include an ark full of animals, including a Woolly Mammoth.
Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:42:04 am »

Making Bows viable would be a good way to add feathers; make them a required reagent for Arrows. If you can get chickens, good job! If not, nothing lost, there's always crossbows.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 12:47:22 am »

Are Feathers really required or just a conveniance when fletching arrows?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 01:29:58 am »

Chicken are you crazy :o ?  This are invincible Monster that try to zerg your hero if you hit one time to often ... What? DF and not "Zelda"?

Ok seriously i like to see That stuff especally if it would be for humans.
Feathers could be used as decorations, pillows and whatever they are usefull for.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 08:38:41 am »

Maybe you could turn a stack bolts into arrows at a fletcher's workshop using feathers.  Other than that, a "decorate with feathers" would be a nice option for craftsdwarves.

I really like the idea of being able to shear animals for fur to spin into wool.  Maybe not sheep; it seems to me that dwarves would have a subterranean equivalent.  Hairy maggots?  Wooly rats?  It would have to keep track on a per-animal basis of how much hair there is left, though, which could get tricky.  And once dwarves have beards, that's just one more reason for goblins to come capture children...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 09:10:29 am »

And once dwarves have beards, that's just one more reason for goblins to come capture children...

They.. they wouldn't! It's one thing for a demon to violate them to the point of complete submission but shaving their beards!?

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 09:22:06 am »

And once dwarves have beards, that's just one more reason for goblins to come capture children...

They.. they wouldn't! It's one thing for a demon to violate them to the point of complete submission but shaving their beards!?

Narrow dwarf wool trousers are the height of fashion these days...

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 09:53:16 am »

Narrow dwarf wool trousers are the height of fashion these days...

I lol'd.

That said, wool is a bit tricky. How does one shave a wooly mammoth posthumously?

Perhaps make wool a second drop, in addition to skin/fat/etc. and have it also be acquired off live tame animals with an appropriate method.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

That said, wool is a bit tricky. How does one shave a wooly mammoth posthumously?

Perhaps make wool a second drop, in addition to skin/fat/etc. and have it also be acquired off live tame animals with an appropriate method.

Part of the tanning process involves scraping the hair/fur off the hide.  I do not know whether it can be reclaimed as wool, though.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 10:14:54 am »

I believe this is mostly on the current development list

I.C: Eggs and feathers, associated skills and objects (part of Bloat58)

Yeah. Also eggs can lead to some awesome new features in the game. Example: buy some unidentified eggs from the caravan, let your dwarf -who has the proper skill- take care of it, and one day who knows what will appear from that egg!  ;D

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 10:19:26 am »

Hmm.. Different sized eggs

Alos this would bring in Life cycles. With proper babies and growing old.

Pages: [1] 2 3