Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Challenge Thread: Super Savannah  (Read 9061 times)

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenge Thread: Super Savannah
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 09:31:06 pm »

How long do you have to leave the HFS open in order for it to count as broken into?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:04:58 pm by Skid »
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 10:06:50 pm »

Pretty short.  It'll pop up a message when it's been broken into long enough.  ;)
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 10:14:09 pm »

2.  No traps!  Traps are for elves!  No death rooms (drowning chambers, etc)!  Death rooms are fo...ok, well, death rooms are for dwarves, but killing all your opponents with a drawbridge is just too easy.

No traps against the HFS or no traps at all?

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 10:18:15 pm »

2.  No traps!  Traps are for elves!  No death rooms (drowning chambers, etc)!  Death rooms are fo...ok, well, death rooms are for dwarves, but killing all your opponents with a drawbridge is just too easy.

No traps against the HFS or no traps at all?
As HFS is trap-immune, I do believe he meant no traps at all.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2008, 10:19:57 pm »

Oh balls, I thought this would be safe up until the HFS was breached but the skeletal batman had to come ruin my day.

The creator of this challenge is having a good chuckle at our expense placing our starting location on the top of a mesa surrounded by flying skeletal batmen

Dastot Lisidfikod, Farmer cancels Construct Bed: Interrupted by Skeletal Batman.
x2
x3
x4
x5

Oh god it's chasing my Chef across the map.

THEY'RE SWARMING HIM! SOMEBODY SAVE HIM!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:26:29 pm by Qloos »

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 10:37:28 pm »

Heh, you haven't met the skeletal giant eagle yet.  ;) 

I just lost a stoneworker to it, along with a few dogs.

EDIT: I've run into a problem: it is apparently impossible to offer goods to a the dwarven caravan after the king has arrived at your fortress.

I'm in the second year and have 100 adamantine bars sitting here ready to go, but the traders apparently don't see the logic in my giving it to them for free.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 01:56:01 am by Skid »
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 11:17:51 pm »

Oops, double post.  :-[

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 07:58:54 am »

Oh balls, I thought this would be safe up until the HFS was breached but the skeletal batman had to come ruin my day.

The creator of this challenge is having a good chuckle at our expense placing our starting location on the top of a mesa surrounded by flying skeletal batmen

Bwahahahahaha...er, ahem.  Yeah, after an hour of playing around, I had given up on posting a terrifying map full of monsters, and settled for a terrifying glacier near a cave that was at least somewhat promising.  And then I started up my next game, and before you could say "A stray dog (Tame) has been struck down" I knew it was right...

EDIT: I've run into a problem: it is apparently impossible to offer goods to a the dwarven caravan after the king has arrived at your fortress.

Oops!  Mea culpa.  Well, in a pinch, you should be able to trade the bars to the caravan for a single plump helmet or something, for the spirit of the thing...
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 11:46:40 am »

Okay.  104 adamantine wafers (☼156000) exported in exchange for 1 mule leather. (☼5)

Challenge objectives completed on 24th Sandstone, 102 in Fountainscraped:

1. I used a larger map size to put my starting location closer to the adamantine, it still covers all of the original features though.

2. No traps used except a retractable bridge to seal off my fort in case of goblin attack.  Only got one ambush, discovered when it was right on top of the bridge anyway.

3. No weapon skills, armor, or arms brought.  Was lucky enough to get two rangers in the first immigration wave.

4. Gave all the required wealth to the caravan, they made it safely off of the map.  Who knows what they're going to do with the stuff though. Sell it to the goblins I bet.

5. HFS opened to determine it's boundaries, but sealed before anything interesting happened.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3746-fountainscraped
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:55:28 pm by Skid »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 09:25:10 am »

So, what's your challenge going to be?

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 01:25:50 pm »

Well, after a three hour map hunt I found a nice creature filled cave on the edge of a zombie infested river. Nice enough, but the main challenge here is the resident zombie cyclops, the winner of hundreds of fights and killer of 65 people.  Can you take him down and still have enough survivors to not become a legendary horror story?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rules:
1. Do not embark with picks or an anvil.
2. Don't build any traps.
3. Bonus: No ranged weapons.
4. Objective: Have a population of 10 or over by the end of the first year.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:26:48 pm by Skid »

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 02:16:45 pm »

As HFS is trap-immune, I do believe he meant no traps at all.

Classic way to get rid of stuff in HFS is to link vertical pikes to a lever that gets triggered/R

Just make sure your traps will not melt ..

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 09:28:22 pm »

I'm considering attempting Skid's, but I'm not sure if I would even get any migrants the first year, because I'm incompetent.  :-X

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 11:43:38 am »

I'm gonna go for this one since it seems short and I have TWO great challenge ideas.  Well, I did, before I forgot what one of them was  :'( .  But it's still a good one!

The parameters for that world give you a lot of rejects but it all happens quickly.

By the way, how do you upload stuff to the map archive?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:50:32 am by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 11:56:08 am »

Well, we can forget about that.  I generated the world and got a different result.  The cave was in the same place (sort of) but it wasn't haunted and there was a live ettin instead   :(
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2] 3