Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: HELLSCAPE  (Read 9292 times)

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
HELLSCAPE
« on: October 05, 2008, 12:26:01 pm »

Well, this is me, after flooding my first base from an aquifer, my second base abandoned under hearty agreement due to forgetting to pack any booze, and my third base, once again, being flooded. Except this time it was flooded with fire men. Not the sweaty Macho Man YMCA sort of fire men, but the burny flaming death swarm your group and burn everything you love to ash and then eat the ashes sort of fire men. So, naturally, I'm near-obsessively fascinated by volcanoes now.

I'm trying to make a world of fire called Hellscape, buuut there's several things I don't know the meaning of. I'm certain if I learn what these mean I'll be able to build a world of searing agony and scorching death, filled with the lament of thousands of fortresses. And moats of lava.

I'm eagerly accepting any recommendations for world creation to make my plane of burning existence as you've all been at this rather longer than I, but top of my list of things to understand what on earth they mean are:

Volcanism Mesh Size (Settings: Ignore, 2x2, 4x4, 8x8, 16x16, 32x32)

Volcanism weighted range (0-20)
Volcanism weighted range (20-40)
Volcanism weighted range (40-60)
Volcanism weighted range (60-80)
Volcanism weighted range (80-100)

Temperature Mesh Size (Settings: Ignore, 2x2, 4x4, 8x8, 16x16, 32x32)

Temperature weighted range (0-20)
Temperature weighted range (20-40)
Temperature weighted range (40-60)
Temperature weighted range (60-80)
Temperature weighted range (80-100)

Minimum Volcanism (0-100)
Maximum Volcanism(0-100)

Volcanism X-Variance (Preset 400, 0-1600)
Volcanism Y-Variance (Present 400, 0-1600)

Minimum Temperature (Preset 25, -1000-1000)
Maximum Temperature (Preset 75, -1000-1000)

Temperature X-Variance (Preset 400, 0-1600)
Temperature Y-Variance (Preset 400, 0-1600)

Percentage Beasts Dead For Stoppage (-1 - 100)
Year to Begin Checking Megabeast Percentage (2-10000)
Population Cap After Civ Creation (-1 - 20000)

Minimum Edge Oceans (0-4)

Minimum Volcano Number(0-200)

Minimum Number of Mid-Volcanism Squares (0-66049)
Minimum Number of Low-Volcanism Squares (0-66049)
Minimum Number of High-Volcanism Squares (0-66049)

Minimum Number of Mid-Savagery Squares (0-66049)
Minimum Number of Low-Savagery Squares (0-66049)

And last but probably not least, what is the (p) Set Preset Field Values thingy button at the bottom left of the screen button for? Is that a manual custom map designer?

As an idea of what I'm aiming for:

Hot.

As a general idea of what I'm aiming for:

Pain and suffering.

As a slightly more specific idea of what I'm aiming for:

Everything is trying pretty hard to kill everything else, up to and including the world itself being near-hot enough to make dwarves and alcohol stockpiles burst into flame.

As a detailed idea of what I'm aiming for:

Megabeasts roam freely. Dig down and find underground water fast or make a still quick, or the dwarves are gonna die of immediate dehydration. Beware heat stroke. Everything is about a tenth of a percent away from killing you immediately. But that's alright. because you have magma to help. And possibly an underground river. There's little to no shrubbery, and trees are at best, scarce. HothothothothothothothothothothothotareyoustillreadingthismanamIimpressedHOT is the main theme. If any of you have ever played that lovable money sink that is WH40K- think Death World.

Whatever I can use to make this place as dangerous as possible, please tell me! Thanks!
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HELLSCAPE
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 12:54:15 pm »

Each square has a volcanism count: the higher, the more volcanic. Turning your maximum temperature to 1000 will leave you with at least some squares hot enough to light embark parties on fire instantly. Variance has something to do with how much the thing varies. That is, high temp. variance makes for glaciers next to scorching deserts.

Anyway, I can try and generate something really hellish, if you want.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 01:01:22 pm »

I'd suggest turning the minimum volcanism up to 100.  That means every map tile gets a magma vent.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 01:03:57 pm »

Well thanks Kagus, I'll remember that myself, and thank you for that inaluct, and yes please indeed to making something devious for little old me.

On another note, is there any way for a person to generate a world, making it so that certain stones would be in a known location, in example, you could make obsidian, peat, and granite be in a group of squares?

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 01:53:28 pm »

-It's worth noting that, though it will be nice and thematic, high volcanism affects what kinds of stone layers you get, specifically determining if you have igneous layers. Because of this, if you have a lot of high volcanism areas (or just and entire high volcanism map) you'll have few (or no) sedimentary layers and thus have a hard time finding useful things like iron ore and flux. Which isn't to say you shouldn't do this, it'll just be an unpleasant world with your main source of metal being the goblins/whatever you get sieging you.
-As to making people war with each other: you can't in the World Gen Parameters, I don't think. If you make everyone really polarized in their ethics you might get them fighting that way, though, and there are some good mods for making lots of very dangerous creatures (including, I believe, at least one WH40K mod).
-Go here so you'll know what you're getting into in terms of biomes to expect.
-You may want to change the civilization tags to allow them to live in more places than they can already, or else give up on having elves anywhere and maybe even on having humans.
-X- and Y- variance controls how much a value changes (to up to 40% or so), I'm not certain over what scale, though. I think mesh size will affect it, but that's turned off by default so who knows. In any case higher means you'll get more variety (good if you want the potential for volcanoes but also want sedimentary stone layers)
-Mesh size also affects the shape of your world, it determines the size in Local (as opposed to World or Region) squares that a certain variable will stick to without changing.
-"Weight" refers to the probability, out of the total number of "weight units" that that range will come up.
-Percentage Beasts Dead For Stoppage and Year to Begin Checking Megabeast Percentage will together determine how long your world will gen for, as general Megabeasts die off really fast and the first variable determines when it will start checking for the second. You'll want to give it some time for wars to start and civs to grow, and one way to do that is to give your world more savage areas (which you planned to do anyway), which seem to increase Megabeast survivability.

Sorry if that's jumbled, it's what I've got for the moment.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 04:24:50 pm »

Oh epic! Thanks Oneir. The thought of turning the elves into dark eldar (cannibals, I believe I read on the wiki for DF, so that matches. Somewhat), and having tyranids running amok seems absolutely slaughterrific! Where did you see this mod? And Civilization tags? I don't understand, could you elaborate please?

Gonna go and do some typing and post what I've gotten so far later.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 05:49:30 pm »

Here you go, Stray:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=591

Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's pretty unpleasant looking, but on the bright side, no one will ever see you cry, because your tears will either evaporate or freeze as they leave your tear ducts

History:

World Gen Parameters:

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 05:50:56 pm »

Needed two a lot of posts. There's a character cap.  :(

Sites Etc, part one:

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 05:52:04 pm »

Ugh.

PART THE SECOND

Some how, we have 333 orioles.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 05:52:28 pm »

Oh, wow.
Part III:

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 06:12:48 pm »

You had me at "zombie Unicorns". Let's DL this and see what chaos can be wrought!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 06:17:57 pm »

I think there are undead unicorns somewhere in there. If not, there are zombie somethings.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 06:38:54 pm »

Hmm. I put the region26 folder in the same folder as DF, but I don't see it under "Start Playing". Where should it be?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 06:47:04 pm »

In "data" and then in "save."

As in, enter the Data folder, then the Save folder, and paste it.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 07:00:58 pm »

Aaaand Thank-You-Kindly!

For some reason I like to pet my kitten whilst an entire band and the kittens they brought along are stomped by about fifteen fire imps.

I may need help, but the voices don't know that :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5