Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Globulation 2  (Read 2487 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Globulation 2
« on: October 05, 2008, 11:53:56 am »

This is a very fun game I found a few days ago.
it's a RTS.
Here is the link to the website http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Main_Page
Its really fun but only a few people play it.
And its free by the way.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Globulation 2
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 03:44:19 pm »

This game is awesome.

It's strange that an RTS with three units can be so fun.

Angellus

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:35:49 am »

This game is awesome.

It's strange that an RTS with three units can be so fun.
Seconded
Very fun game ^^

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 06:51:38 pm »

yay more people agree
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 06:54:29 pm »

I like it too, and I heartily recommend it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

Downloading it now, It looks pretty good.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 10:36:57 pm »

Ohh, i played this a few years back! (never got past the tutorial since it broke most of the way through), but it was awesome fun! And its been updated since!
Magma is overrated.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 10:39:10 pm »

I've been looking for a new RTS to play, and this fits the bill nicely.  It's a system I don't know and don't yet understand, but I can see that it is tangible.  It's been a while since I had one of those "oh now I get it" moments.  Thanks for the link.

Now I just wish I knew how to code something even close to this myself.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 01:10:19 pm »

Weeh! This is fun!

I really recommend this game to anyone reading. The majesty-like flag system is nice too. :D

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Angellus

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 08:10:38 am »

I love the way resources grow back in globulation (fruits and food, wood... not stone off course :)), are there more games that use this method?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 03:07:48 pm »

The whole of the Command and Conquer series and Dark Reign.It grows back VERY slowly, though. Total Annihilation (and SupCom) has unlimited resources.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 03:14:24 pm »

Well, I think C&C: RA doesn't have regenerating resources.

I believe it to be so because I was running a WW1-style match with me playing as Russia and the AI playing USA, and we were battling with only infantry. It turned into a stalemate, and both sides mined all their resources depleted. The war grinded to a halt. (The Allied got lots of turrets to prevent my units from destroying their buildings, but couldn't send troops to defeat me. So I guess I lost that match.)

I don't know, I actually like playing games that have "Peak Oil"-style mechanics (i.e, once all the resources in the world are gone...tough). Sure, Peak Oil may or may not exist in real life, but playing under Peak Oil is fun. Forces you to think.

But the Dawn of War series also have unlimited resources, just that certain points may begin to 'decay' and produce less resources than normal. If somebody seizes that point, the point will begin to produce the same amount of points as before. It's just to encourage people to expand and fight rather than to turtle.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 03:17:26 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:03:34 pm »

Majesty.... XoXoX

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 05:39:27 pm »

Earth: 2150.  You can play with either standard resource-gathering mode (each of the three factions has their own special method of gathering and refining the one resource), or play in "Uncle Sam" mode, where each player gets an allowance which is awarded to them on a regular basis.  Everybody gets the same amount.

Also, it's a friggin' awesome game.  Customize your troops, give them cool military-sounding names, develop seriously nasty weapons of war, build supply depots to shorten the trip for restocking your army, and shut off the lights at nighttime if you're expecting an enemy scouting party.  Also, control the weather and toss nukes at each other.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 01:22:47 am »

I won! Lol :P

It's a great game. One thing I hate about it is that it bears a strong resemblance to a RTS I made which isn't even a quarter as good as Globulation 2.

BTW, almost every game seems to have regenerating resources these days. Games like Age of Empires actually want you to run out of resources, otherwise both groups will be fighting endlessly. 'Unlimited' resources works well with Globulation because of it's anti-micromanagement system, so you don't actually have to bother making more peasants to replace the ones that died.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:26:00 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2