Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A bounty is placed: Bring me Immigrants!  (Read 1606 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
A bounty is placed: Bring me Immigrants!
« on: October 04, 2008, 05:27:40 pm »

I know I'm a madman for even suggesting that I want immigrants to come to my fortress, most people want the soapers and milkers to stay far away.  Not me.  I need warm bodies, fresh meat.  And I've only seen one wave in eight or more game years.  After the last update, it's always announced that it's too dangerous for immigrants to come this season.

That's why I'm placing a bounty on a mod that will reset the danger flag.  I don't really have much to give, other than huge thanks and a couple *internets* as a reward, and I'd try doing it myself if my coding skills haven't deteriorated over three years of no use.  I don't even know if this is possible, other than I know there's an internal flag, or a points scale, that is used to determine how immigration is handled.

So - anyone up for the task? 

Angellus

Re: A bounty is placed: Bring me Immigrants!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 05:29:56 pm »

I know I'm a madman for even suggesting that I want immigrants to come to my fortress, most people want the soapers and milkers to stay far away.  Not me.  I need warm bodies, fresh meat.  And I've only seen one wave in eight or more game years.  After the last update, it's always announced that it's too dangerous for immigrants to come this season.

That's why I'm placing a bounty on a mod that will reset the danger flag.  I don't really have much to give, other than huge thanks and a couple *internets* as a reward, and I'd try doing it myself if my coding skills haven't deteriorated over three years of no use.  I don't even know if this is possible, other than I know there's an internal flag, or a points scale, that is used to determine how immigration is handled.

So - anyone up for the task? 
Would'nt it help for the value of the fortress to rise gigantically?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:35:33 pm »

My current fortress is at 3.5million monies, and has over twenty five artifacts, the total of which are continuously growing.  A little part of me thinks that's not the issue :)

Angellus

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 05:38:57 pm »

My current fortress is at 3.5million monies, and has over twenty five artifacts, the total of which are continuously growing.  A little part of me thinks that's not the issue :)
Omg XD, then I do not want to know what will hapen in migrant season with me, just had an adamantine artifact anvil made, which kicked my fortress to nearly 7 million  :P

But up to the 2-3 million I only had 55 dwarves in and also no immigrants for several seasons already.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:40:19 pm »

Last 4 worlds I made never gave me a single migrant. I can't very well build my obsidian tower out of the magma pit until I have dwarves to sacrifice for the whims of nobles, now can I?

Angellus

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:47:04 pm »

Last 4 worlds I made never gave me a single migrant. I can't very well build my obsidian tower out of the magma pit until I have dwarves to sacrifice for the whims of nobles, now can I?
Speed up your dwarves, that way 7 dwarves can do the work of 150 ^^

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 09:18:52 pm »

Speed up your dwarves, that way 7 dwarves can do the work of 150 ^^

Unfortunately, when you actually get to 150 dwarves, you have absolutely nothing to do other than train obsessively, so that when the sieges come, the goblins don't even have time to think until the entire fortress population teleports right next to them, armored in full plate mail and carrying hammers.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 12:09:59 pm »

Couldn't you use companion to turn all the local wildlife into dwarves?
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 12:18:43 pm »

That method is sketchy at best and often times results in a messed up dwarf if not immediately, some time down the road.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 03:01:10 pm »

for some time now i've been theorizing immigrations are dependent upon civilization population size...

i've noticed on maps where theres only 1 surviving dwarf colony its a very rare occurrence in a decade spanning fortress to get immigrants.
and in maps there is a considerable dwarf presence i'm overwhelmed.

perhaps this may be the ase. perhaps not. my two-cents.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 11:14:23 am »

That method is sketchy at best and often times results in a messed up dwarf if not immediately, some time down the road.

Stravitch is correct.  You CAN turn wildlife into Dwarves, but you generally get an animal in a dwarf suit.  They have no thoughts or likes, and they still act like animals for the most part - and there's a pretty high chance of everything crashing randomly.  It's... a less than perfect solution.

MoonCabbage: I actually thought that for a while too, but according to the research I've done immigrants and sieges as of .40d are still created out of thin air as long as there are civilizations they COULD come from. 

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 11:46:59 am »

too dangerous for immigrants to come this season.

That is probably the key to why they're not coming.

I've read that dead nobles have more of a repercussions than a regular dwarf. Have you been killing nobles?

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 11:59:09 am »

too dangerous for immigrants to come this season.

That is probably the key to why they're not coming.

I've read that dead nobles have more of a repercussions than a regular dwarf. Have you been killing nobles?

Well, not lately :) 

Seriously though, the last noble to die was a hammerer that just wouldn't stay away from herds of Zombie Camels 5 game years or so ago.  I have maybe 2 or 3 miners and masons die a year to them also.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:46:00 pm »

I wonder how the danger level works. Maybe your previous deaths were enough to bring it to a level where immigration stops and these new deaths are enough to stop the danger level from going down?

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 02:12:59 pm »

Some common sense may apply: Keep lots of jobs going, keep the death-rate non-existant, and make sure we're all estatic. Maybe finish the mercury poisoning chamb...er...temple to lenod, so we can attract more faithfull. :P