Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Square Resolutions  (Read 2194 times)

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
Square Resolutions
« on: October 04, 2008, 05:27:22 pm »

I have no clue when it comes to changing anything graphical in the game. What I want to know is, how do I make it so the tiles in the game are square, not vertically oblong? I'm fond of the vanilla graphics/tiles, so I don't really want to change that unless there's a really good one that doesn't move away from ASCII too much. I just want my tiles... square. The vertical stretch really throws off my perception. And I have no clue how to do this. I'm pretty sure it's just some init.txt edits, but I don't know how.

My full screen resolution (of my computer) is 1920x1200 pixels, so anything to that scale will work, I guess. What do you guys recommend? Thanks for the help.
Now you will know why you fear the night!

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Square Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 04:22:14 am »

curses_square_16x16 is nearly identical to the default tileset, except square and the smiley faces for dwarves have beards.

Just open the Init file and find something that looks like this:

[WINDOWEDX:640]
[WINDOWEDY:300]
[FONT:curses_640x300.bmp]

And change it into this:

[FONT:curses_square_16x16.bmp]

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 12:25:46 pm »

curses_square_16x16 is nearly identical to the default tileset, except square and the smiley faces for dwarves have beards.

And change it into this:

Except you have to change the WINDOWEDX and WINDOWEDY values to match.
It's 16 multiplied by whatever your grid size is set to for X and Y, respectively.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 12:12:06 am »

Hm, I guess I asked my question wrong. Sorry.

Although I found a resolution of 800x800 with 25 by 25 tiles works nicely for a square layout, that's not what I was shooting for (my bad for not being clear). I was really looking for a way to have square TILES, not a square resolution. I guess... I messed up in the title. Oh well. With a square resolution, the tiles still look taller than they are wide, making for funny-looking hallways. It could be, say, 3 tiles wide by 2 tiles tall and still look taller than it is wide, despite the lesser amount of tiles.

So, if you don't mind me asking again, how do I get this fixed? I guess I wouldn't mind getting a new tileset/graphics set that badly, if ya recommend a good one. Um, thanks for bearing with me.
Now you will know why you fear the night!

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:15:01 am »

The Mike Mayday graphical set is good.  You can find a link on the wiki, and I think I have a link here somewhere, lemme...

found it.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 02:16:37 am »

Maybe you're using graphics mode, and haven't set a square tileset for GRAPHICS_FONT?  Or maybe you have a non-square gridsize and resolution combination and you haven't set BLACK_SPACE correctly?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 03:06:57 am »

Hm, I guess I asked my question wrong. Sorry.

Although I found a resolution of 800x800 with 25 by 25 tiles works nicely for a square layout, that's not what I was shooting for (my bad for not being clear). I was really looking for a way to have square TILES, not a square resolution. I guess... I messed up in the title. Oh well. With a square resolution, the tiles still look taller than they are wide, making for funny-looking hallways. It could be, say, 3 tiles wide by 2 tiles tall and still look taller than it is wide, despite the lesser amount of tiles.

So, if you don't mind me asking again, how do I get this fixed? I guess I wouldn't mind getting a new tileset/graphics set that badly, if ya recommend a good one. Um, thanks for bearing with me.

A square tileset would not look square in a square resolution. The square resolution will squish the tileset and make it unsquare. For example, I use a 16x16 tileset at a 1280x400 resolution and the tiles end up being square looking. The wiki has several square tilesets, and what resolution they need to be to make them square looking are listed with them.

http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/List_of_user_character_sets

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 08:14:43 am »

You can use the square resolution but then you should adjust the number of tiles: GRID and FULLGRID for windowed and fullscreen modes respectively.
 /data/init/init.txt
(This is done this way: [GRID:x:y] where x = number of horisontal tiles in the window and y = number of vertical tiles in the window)

I have 1280x1024 desktop resolution and play with 1280x800 window and [GRID:80:50]; it makes things square with square 16x16 tileset.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:21:00 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 05:40:12 pm »

What can make a 640x300 tileset look square?

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 03:33:06 pm »

What can make a 640x300 tileset look square?
A 640x300 tileset is really an 8x12 tileset (after we divide by 80 and 25 to account for the default grid size).  If you're willing to simply stretch the tiles, then you will probably want to stretch them horizontally so that they are 12x12, which means a 50% increase in the width of the window.  If you are actually running with a window size of 640x300 and a grid size of 80x25, then you'd change the window size to 960x300 (640 * 1.5 = 960).  If you're using any other grid size, just make sure that your window width equals your grid width times 12, and that your window height equals your grid height times 12.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

And change it into this:

this, the font is what dictates if it is square or not, use a square font, and it will be square icons, you will have to make the window size accomodate this of course, using 80 tiles by 25 tiles as the standard window, using a 16x16 pixel (square) font you would want your window size to be:

WINDOWEDX:1280
WINDOWEDY:400

you can then make it bigger vertically by adding a multiple of 16 to WINDOWEDY  (960 would be a good choice for windowed mode if you've got a 1280*1024 resolution, or 1024 for fullscreen)
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA