Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Sauerbraten map importer  (Read 2839 times)

Serjndestroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Sauerbraten map importer
« on: October 04, 2008, 04:27:43 pm »

Haven't been able to get on the forums for ages, guess its a tad late now.. If this topic gets double posted, please forgive, as the forums still arent working 100%

Anyway
http://blog.plubble.com/?p=283

I've been working on a Dwarf Fortress -> http://sauerbraten.org/ map importer for a while now, and its been coming along pretty well. Basically, it takes a exported dfmap.lite file (using Sinoth and Mithaldu's exporter), parses the text, and carves said map into a sauerbraten terrain. Not exactly ideal, as it takes quite a while to do so, but it does give you the ability to view your maps in sauerbraten (which is capable of some nice eyecandy), and edit the map manually using sauerbraten's in game editing engine. Heck, you could even play a fps match on your map, if so inclined.

Where do I go from here? Well, I guess getting the import times down is the highest priority, they are pretty insane at the moment. I'm looking into ways to get the map to import outside of the game, maybe by using octrees (as that is how sauer's maps are made, essentially). But after I get import times down, there isnt really much improvement to be done with the current model (i.e generating a map from a fixed text file). One could, conceivably, build a game upon maps exported from df, our main project Plexus is essentially a virtual world that allows for custom games to be played over a p2p network, but that won't really resemble DF that much.

Sinoth and Mithaldu's Lifevis project shows much more promise in realizing a 3d dwarf fortress, of course. I would love to be able to offer the same functionality (possible, but not using the same methodology), but I sure as heck don't have the skills to do so.

So, if anyone sees promise in this project, wants to help out, or is interested in finding out more, you can email me at serjndestroy@gmail.com.

Seems like the current client should run fine, if you want to install it, here's the instructions http://blog.plubble.com/?page_id=255

By the by, this map importer is part of plexus, which is a platform on which you can(will be able to) play a wide variety of custom games. You can upload your dwarf fortress map, and associate game code to it, link it to other people's maps, and a lot of other pretty cool things, as detailed here http://blog.plubble.com/?page_id=70
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:08:28 pm by Serjndestroy »

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Sauerbraten map importer
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 04:51:55 pm »

..you, good sir, are incredibly awesome.

'nuff said.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Angellus

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 05:00:22 pm »

..you, good sir, are incredibly awesome.

'nuff said.
Seconded, I'm downloading Sauerbraten asap XD

Serjndestroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 05:09:20 pm »

Hehe, good to see the enthusiasm, but getting the thing running is a tad tricky atm. Also, the downloadable version isn't the latest build, the df map importer in that version isn't quite as refined (hahah, if that word is even applicable)

Serjndestroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:12:56 pm »

Hehe, good to see the enthusiasm, but getting the thing running is a tad tricky atm. Also, the downloadable version isn't the latest build, the df map importer in that version isn't quite as refined (hahah, if that word is even applicable)

(sorry, knew this was going to happen at some time or another)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:15:27 pm by Serjndestroy »

Angellus

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:26:16 pm »

(sorry, knew this was going to happen at some time or another)
Doesnt matter ^^
What version does work?
And is there any foresight of a version working with the current build of DF?

Serjndestroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 05:59:38 pm »

Well, you need the text files that http://code.google.com/p/dwarvis/ this map extractor gives, so whatever df version works with that map exporter should be fine. To get the exporter working, you need to follow the steps mentioned here http://blog.plubble.com/?page_id=255, but it is'nt really an end user release, as there are lots of settings that need fixing in order to get it working. If you can get it working up to the point that the install instructions lead, I'll be happy to instruct you further via email or IM. Or you can just wait a week or so, as we will be releasing a better version that should run ootb soon, with the improved importer

Angellus

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 06:08:41 pm »

Well, you need the text files that http://code.google.com/p/dwarvis/ this map extractor gives, so whatever df version works with that map exporter should be fine. To get the exporter working, you need to follow the steps mentioned here http://blog.plubble.com/?page_id=255, but it is'nt really an end user release, as there are lots of settings that need fixing in order to get it working. If you can get it working up to the point that the install instructions lead, I'll be happy to instruct you further via email or IM. Or you can just wait a week or so, as we will be releasing a better version that should run ootb soon, with the improved importer
In that case I am going to wait, and build the most perfect fortress there is ^^

Would be funny if Sauerbraten would support traps and such XD

Serjndestroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 06:18:28 pm »

In that case I am going to wait, and build the most perfect fortress there is ^^

Well, at the moment you can import any map model you want into the game, so getting a visual representation of a trap with animations and such is pretty easy (if you have the model and animations of course). The only problem is actually getting the df map exporter to recognize things like traps and doors, but I trust that its only a matter of time till they decode most if not all of the tiles (uncharacteristically optimistic, haha)..

Angellus

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 06:45:43 pm »

Well, at the moment you can import any map model you want into the game, so getting a visual representation of a trap with animations and such is pretty easy (if you have the model and animations of course). The only problem is actually getting the df map exporter to recognize things like traps and doors, but I trust that its only a matter of time till they decode most if not all of the tiles (uncharacteristically optimistic, haha)..
;D
Lets hope so, would mean that the fps game will be a bit harder ^^

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 06:50:45 pm »

Sick nasty. I've always wanted to blow somebodies brains out in the halls of Ner Lorsith.

Angellus

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 06:54:48 pm »

Sick nasty. I've always wanted to blow somebodies brains out in the halls of Ner Lorsith.
Lol, guess that means DF-mappacks are coming up ^^

Serjndestroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 07:02:01 pm »

Oh, how wonderfully fast TC can work.. The plexus version was just updated, default settings should work fine, and it carries a newish version of the map importer. Download to your hearts content

Angellus

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 07:04:23 pm »

Oh, how wonderfully fast TC can work.. The plexus version was just updated, default settings should work fine, and it carries a newish version of the map importer. Download to your hearts content
^^ nice

EDIT: Hmmm, I cannot seem to find the link to the download easily, care to share a direct link?
EDIT2: Maybe a nice addition would be a how-to manual about the program, that way anyone could use it ^^.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:09:42 pm by Angellus »

Serjndestroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 07:10:33 pm »

EDIT: Hmmm, I cannot seem to find the link to the download easily, care to share a direct link?

A direct link wouldnt really help, you need to follow the steps detailed on this page http://blog.plubble.com/?page_id=255

First post updated btw
Pages: [1] 2