Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Testing the waters: How is my drawing?  (Read 1350 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Testing the waters: How is my drawing?
« on: October 04, 2008, 03:26:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here it is... It is 10 times larger then it is in reality (I size horrifically...) and it took about 3 hours. I did it in Mechanical Pencil.
-Note: I am pretty much saying all that because last time I image hosted they generally said things like "It looks like it was done in crayon". So I want to explain its Crayonness.

I was trying to make the most creepy Goblin who has thrown together equipment I could do. Like a Goblin Adventurer (or an Elf with a really bad skin condition)

Please be honest... I guess... AHHH!!! I am going to see how the boards react since that is my general level of skill when it comes to drawing. I have done much better before but those are few and far between.

The best I ever done is this (but it is DF unrelated):
!!!WARNING!!! Image HORRIFICALLY sized... Do not click unless your prepared for a GIANT picture!!!

Well time to force myself to push the post button

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Testing the waters: How is my drawing?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:30:16 pm »

I'm scared to click it, because it might look like it was done in crayon.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 03:39:25 pm »

I refuse to click on it, in fear of crayon horrors. However, using my almost magical ability to tell what is behind an spoiler tag, I can deduce some help for you.

Now my largest suggestion is to invest some time into dynamic poses. You know, not everybody faces you directly. Even then, they usually have gestures. Get some good gestures, some good poses, and you have yourself an okay bit of art. Lets see...

http://www.elfwood.com/farp/figure/williamlibodyconstruction.html

Line quality could use some work, but that is not a pressing concern. I personally like pencil drawings, ad could live with the crayon-like quality of it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 03:48:23 pm »

Should I laugh that technically the last two posters didn't look because the things I draw look like Crayon or cry?

My Major issue with poses is perspective... How do I draw an arm going straight towards the 4th wall? (or heck lets say away from it)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:58:55 pm »

Technically, I did look at it. These powers are sometimes a curse. By the way, Vader is Luke's father.

I would say do research. See how other artists have done it, and look for images of people doing what you want to draw. See how the arm looks, and pay attention to negative space. Very big thing, Negative Space. Can make or break a piece.

I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 04:08:22 pm »

Well, I can only get better (even though it is technically going in reverse at the moment).

How about my Style?

Angellus

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 05:46:19 pm »

Vader is Luke's father.
Wth did that came from? (and they need an smiley for XD here XD)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 06:44:15 pm »

Well, I can only get better (even though it is technically going in reverse at the moment).

How about my Style?

Not bad at all...eh compared to me, you are a real Michelangelo.  ;D

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 06:44:29 pm »

Vader is Luke's father.
Wth did that came from? (and they need an smiley for XD here XD)

I am immune to spoiler text. It's both a blessing, and a curse. Thus everything is spoiled to me.

And ontopic, it looks like stuff I used to draw. Nowadays I have textures.

I'm sure with proper study of proportions and dynamic postures, it will improve. No worries. Although my old art has dragonfly wings instead of bird wings. And scorpion tails. And mechanical limbs. Other than that, very similar.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 10:24:08 am »

Thank you all for your responses

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 12:39:19 pm »

it's pretty good, but you should work on using shading plus softer lines. The only thing I have on hand to show you what I mean was a drawing I did 2 years ago of a wow forsaken in a tuxedo. but I hope it helps

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 03:20:07 pm »

Here it is... It is 10 times larger then it is in reality (I size horrifically...) and it took about 3 hours. I did it in Mechanical Pencil.
-Note: I am pretty much saying all that because last time I image hosted they generally said things like "It looks like it was done in crayon". So I want to explain its Crayonness.

I was trying to make the most creepy Goblin who has thrown together equipment I could do. Like a Goblin Adventurer (or an Elf with a really bad skin condition)

Please be honest... I guess... AHHH!!! I am going to see how the boards react since that is my general level of skill when it comes to drawing. I have done much better before but those are few and far between.

The best I ever done is this (but it is DF unrelated):
!!!WARNING!!! Image HORRIFICALLY sized... Do not click unless your prepared for a GIANT picture!!!

Well time to force myself to push the post button

If you'd like my advice I can tell you about humanoid apperances.

First of all the arms, well your goblin's arms seem to be well, too small. Arms for humanoids typically reach down to their waists, hence pockets, I suggest you measure your body for what I'm talking about.

Yeah I think you need help on hands as well. The hand isn't very complicated, using basic form it is easy to understand, by that I mean the hand itself,(no fingers) is just a flat block, also the thumbs will tend to be beside the body, if you lay them flat against the body,(well for humans, but what other creatures are there?). About fingers, the hand will also wrap it's fingers around something when, man this hard to explain... as I was saying, when the hand will grasp something it's fingers will wrap around it, although the thumb, whichs joint is not confined to where it is connected,(from out perspective) at on the hand, but rather extends more downward. So in retrospect your goblin has a right upper left hand,(from it's perspective) I suggest that you study your own hand in the mirror for solving this perspective problem.

Interms of things such as the body, and legs they appear rather well in the stance you drew for your goblin, such as a six headed figure,(more basic form). I'd guess a six headed figure is good for a goblin, maybe dwarfs too, but I never draw anything of those sorts. The feet seem to be well sized,(I'm guessing the boot is large sized)
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 12:11:16 pm »

I like the feathers on the angel-guy. They're nice.