Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Steampunkification!  (Read 3664 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Steampunkification!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 03:36:20 pm »

I hate to burst your bubble but Mikademus is pretty much correct there. Dwarf Fortress has a unique setting (well, as unique as any other Tolkienesque setting). These aren't World of Warcraft dwarves. This is the Word of God (of Blood), Toady One.

For that matter, I suggest you take a look at the Tree Toe Stories. That's the feel of the gameworld(s) that's been established. That's not to say that it won't be possible to add these in a mod at some point, or something along those lines. For now, however, that's all off the table.

Again, really sorry to ruin your dreams of steam-powered Dwarven deathtraps.

Eh, I wanted to post something similar, but I decided not to. Personally I don't like the steampunk idea at all. However I am not against anything like this, as long, as we can remove them from the game with playing around with the RAW files.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 03:59:27 pm »

Eh, I wanted to post something similar, but I decided not to. Personally I don't like the steampunk idea at all. However I am not against anything like this, as long, as we can remove them from the game with playing around with the RAW files.

Steampunk shouldn't really be part of the core game since it doesn't fit the setting.  It should be possible to mod in if someone wants to though.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 04:00:26 pm »

These are toady dwarves, psycho cat-eaters that would make Weird Al consider rewriting Cats in the Kettle to use Dwarves instead of Chinese takeout. How much overlap with Warhammer Dwarves is another subject of debate.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 01:11:46 am »

Steampunk shouldn't really be part of the core game since it doesn't fit the setting.  It should be possible to mod in if someone wants to though.

Well, I wasn't suggesting to convert DF into steampunk. I just wanted pipes and maybe a boiler or two, as well as some rather basic machinery. Even the ancient Egyptians had basic steam powered apparati.

'scuse the thread necromancy.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 02:49:35 pm »

These are toady dwarves, psycho cat-eaters that would make Weird Al consider rewriting Cats in the Kettle to use Dwarves instead of Chinese takeout.

That's not Weird Al.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 03:59:30 pm »

Well, I wasn't suggesting to convert DF into steampunk. I just wanted pipes and maybe a boiler or two, as well as some rather basic machinery. Even the ancient Egyptians had basic steam powered apparati.

As an academian and part-time Egyptologist (sorry, no Fedora or bull whip), I feel that it is time to correct you here. The only reference to Egyptian steam "machines" is by Heron, a Greek inventor living in Alexandria in the 1st century. He mentions that the Egyptians had something similar to his own invention, the steam ball (a boiler connected via two pipes to a sphere spinning around those pipes), and claims it rotated with about 1500 rpm. Now, the 1st century is after Ptolemian times, which was the LAST Egyptian dynasty, which makes it the least ancient historiical Egypt possible. Ancient Egypt is generally understood to be between around 3600 to 1000 BC, sometimes also including the post Ramseoid dynasties.

Also, there are speculative and sensationalist claims about steam powered temple doors etc, but those are with all likeliness hogwash, as the claims of the "Baghdad Batteries" providing sophisticated (as in modern-like) electricity to Babylon.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 04:02:59 pm »

As a practical matter, though, it would be nice to be able to continuously pump water or magma through multiple levels without having to run axles all the way to the surface at a power loss for each axle segment (and for that matter, what's up with that?), which can only be done _now_ by exploiting the violation of conservation of energy in water wheels.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 04:39:55 pm »

As an academian and part-time Egyptologist (sorry, no Fedora or bull whip), I feel that it is time to correct you here. The only reference to Egyptian steam "machines" is by Heron, a Greek inventor living in Alexandria in the 1st century. He mentions that the Egyptians had something similar to his own invention, the steam ball (a boiler connected via two pipes to a sphere spinning around those pipes), and claims it rotated with about 1500 rpm. Now, the 1st century is after Ptolemian times, which was the LAST Egyptian dynasty, which makes it the least ancient historiical Egypt possible. Ancient Egypt is generally understood to be between around 3600 to 1000 BC, sometimes also including the post Ramseoid dynasties.

Also, there are speculative and sensationalist claims about steam powered temple doors etc, but those are with all likeliness hogwash, as the claims of the "Baghdad Batteries" providing sophisticated (as in modern-like) electricity to Babylon.

That's the definition of steampunk though... Taking the technoligy that they kinda sorta mostly had, and applying modern design techniques to put it together to emulate pseudo-modern devices.

The point where it all breaks down isn't actually BUILDING the devices, it's building and maintaining them for less than the three sheafs of wheat it takes to keep a peasant alive.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 07:25:59 pm »

These are toady dwarves, psycho cat-eaters that would make Weird Al consider rewriting Cats in the Kettle to use Dwarves instead of Chinese takeout.

That's not Weird Al.

You're right...it's Bob Rivers...oops
Pages: 1 [2]