Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How to use weapons that use skills other than the ones in the military screen.  (Read 8266 times)

Thingy Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Disemboweld
    • View Profile

I have found a workaround to allow your dwarves to use melee weapons associated with other skills than the ones you can select in the military page.

Proof
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's rather simple. I figured out wile trying to make true throwing weapons (unsuccessfully) that ranged weapons use their ammo skill type when firing, but revert to their actual weapon skill type when out of ammo.

So what you want to do is something like this.

Note that the actual weapon type is dagger wile the ammo uses the sword skill.
Since your dwarves equip ranged weaponry based on what skill the ammo has you'll be able to equip weapons that use the dagger skill when you tell them to equip swords.

In order to avoid them actually using the ammo to fire (which would look really retarded) I simply did not give the entity entry for this weapon an ammo type underneath it.

I just found this out about 5 min ago so it might not work in all circumstances.
Comments greatly appreciated.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

That's awesome man.  Nice bit of scientific research there, and oh so obvious now that I've seen it.  Pikedwarves.  Cool.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Thingy Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Disemboweld
    • View Profile

Wow, This workaround is better than I thought.

You can actually have non-military skill weapons now.
Check out my fishing dagger.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's sweet, dood.

Now, I'm gonna go see if I can use this bit of knowledge to improve my game experience..

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess the only downside is that when told to equip swords, they'll now equip knives or swords, which would be a pain if you _actually_ want them to just use swords. More of the old forbid-equip dance with weapons I suppose.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

*Messes with the raws*

So theoretically, Humans can use bows? Sweet.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

I guess the only downside is that when told to equip swords, they'll now equip knives or swords, which would be a pain if you _actually_ want them to just use swords. More of the old forbid-equip dance with weapons I suppose.

Yes, it's a pain.  But this is Dwarf Fortress.  "With great pain comes great potential".

This is brilliant work.  Have you checked to see what happens when you start an adventurer with that skill?  You might get some unusual effects...

Also, how does this work with sparring?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Haha, that's clever as hell.

Adding the RANGED tag also allows you to make those weapons out of wood or bone at a bowyer's.  Bone daggers have a certain appeal, don't they?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

*Imagines somebody making a staff that uses druid skill*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

Easy peasy:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_STAFF_DRUID]
[NAME:druid staff:druid staves]
[DAMAGE:100:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:70]
[RANGED:HAMMER:BOLT]
[SKILL:DRUID]
[TWO_HANDED:7]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:7]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[STICK_CHANCE:0]

That ought to cut it. I'm not sure though. Will test it later.

EDIT: This isn't quite working, but I think I've got the problems down. Wait a few tics.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:47:18 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there still a Druid skill hardcoded in somewhere?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

That shouldn't work as druid is not a military skill. The best that you could do would be to pick some other type of skill and then change it's name to druid. This has some problems though, with anything that is renamed changing back to its original 'master' title (swordmaster, hammerlord, etc.) except for bows and crossbows.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That shouldn't work as druid is not a military skill. The best that you could do would be to pick some other type of skill and then change it's name to druid. This has some problems though, with anything that is renamed changing back to its original 'master' title (swordmaster, hammerlord, etc.) except for bows and crossbows.

Strangely enough it seems to work -- see Thingy Master's most recent post in this thread.  Also, picks already have [SKILL:MINER].

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

Alright, here we go:

[NAME:druid staff:druid staves]
[DAMAGE:100:BLUDGEON]
[WEIGHT:70]
[RANGED:HAMMER:BLOWDART]
[SKILL:MAGIC_NATURE]
[TWO_HANDED:5]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:6]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[STICK_CHANCE:0]

That's the item entry and it's small enough for dwarves to use.

Furthermore, you need to add the following to the entity:

[PERMITTED_JOB:DRUID]

That ought to cut it. I had to search out the list of skills to figure that out though. If somebody else wants it, I'll post it.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will making it a ranged weapon stop them from sparring,  though?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5